E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Question for NH guys with catless downpipes on 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
bmwpowr
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 09 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Question Question for NH guys with catless downpipes on 335i

How do you guys pass NH state inspection?
I hear this is not possible with the catless downpipes because of readiness codes?

I was considering getting the VRSF downpipes, but I'm not willing to switch back to stock every year just for the state inspection, especially since my 335i is xDrive.

Figured I would ask and get opinions.
Thanks

Last edited by bmwpowr; 05-25-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States
228
Rep
2,066
Posts

Drives: 6MT rickshaw
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [5.00]
In MA, they allow one of the readiness codes to state "Not Ready". Assuming it's the same scenario?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37779
__________________

07 E92 335i 6MT | MHD E40 v7.1 | BMS DCI | VRSF DP, FMIC & CP | PE Mod | Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP | Advan RS 18" | Fortune Auto / Swift | LUX 160 + Osram CBI | Dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
brewnami
Major
67
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (5)

DP fix. This will make your readiness monitor show as ready while the tune is disabled for OBDII inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States
228
Rep
2,066
Posts

Drives: 6MT rickshaw
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
DP fix. This will make your readiness monitor show as ready while the tune is disabled for OBDII inspection.
Depends on what tune you have.

Never needed it for MHD tune. Running stage 2 w/ kittyless downpipes and never had any issues getting an inspection in MA.
__________________

07 E92 335i 6MT | MHD E40 v7.1 | BMS DCI | VRSF DP, FMIC & CP | PE Mod | Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP | Advan RS 18" | Fortune Auto / Swift | LUX 160 + Osram CBI | Dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
bmwpowr
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 09 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Depends on what tune you have.

Never needed it for MHD tune. Running stage 2 w/ kittyless downpipes and never had any issues getting an inspection in MA.
I'm running MHD stage1 right now, so I would be running the same as you, stage 2 if I had the DPs.
I just don't know if NH is same as MA. The link you posted makes it look like it is though, granted that was 2012.
So obviously you don't get any CELs either. Do you flash back to stock when you go in for inspection?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States
228
Rep
2,066
Posts

Drives: 6MT rickshaw
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowr View Post
I'm running MHD stage1 right now, so I would be running the same as you, stage 2 if I had the DPs.
I just don't know if NH is same as MA. The link you posted makes it look like it is though, granted that was 2012.
So obviously you don't get any CELs either. Do you flash back to stock when you go in for inspection?
Nope. Havent been on a stock map since first buying the car in 2013.
__________________

07 E92 335i 6MT | MHD E40 v7.1 | BMS DCI | VRSF DP, FMIC & CP | PE Mod | Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP | Advan RS 18" | Fortune Auto / Swift | LUX 160 + Osram CBI | Dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
bmwpowr
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 09 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Nope. Havent been on a stock map since first buying the car in 2013.
Encouraging news.
Thanks

Hopefully, I get a few responses from people with DPs in NH too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
brewnami
Major
67
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (5)

Why does the state matter? Emissions testing is emissions testing. Downpipes will throw a CEL or read Not Ready. MA, NH, TX will either fail you right away or sniff test which you would fail without cats. Only way to bypass this is the DP fix for JB4 or have it written in the MHD tune. Buy a cheap scan tool and check readiness before you go in for inspection to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
jor2cool4u
Captain
jor2cool4u's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: with 2 feet
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 Subaru Legacy  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
Why does the state matter? Emissions testing is emissions testing. Downpipes will throw a CEL or read Not Ready. MA, NH, TX will either fail you right away or sniff test which you would fail without cats. Only way to bypass this is the DP fix for JB4 or have it written in the MHD tune. Buy a cheap scan tool and check readiness before you go in for inspection to be sure.
^^^ unfortunately it's mis-information like this that confuse so many people *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
Island Road
Major
61
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
NH here, never had a issue with inspection. My dads 535 tuned and my 335 pass NP. DP fix but now with MHD it passes.
__________________

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
brewnami
Major
67
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor2cool4u View Post
^^^ unfortunately it's mis-information like this that confuse so many people *sigh*

What about that is misinformation? I have catless downpipes and I've lived in all of those states. I've passed emissions with catless downpipes and that's how I did it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #12
jor2cool4u
Captain
jor2cool4u's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: with 2 feet
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 Subaru Legacy  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
What about that is misinformation? I have catless downpipes and I've lived in all of those states. I've passed emissions with catless downpipes and that's how I did it.
It's just a little unclear what you mean in your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
Downpipes will throw a CEL or read Not Ready. MA, NH, TX will either fail you right away or sniff test which you would fail without cats.
I've actually never seen a sniff test done in MA since an inspection I had in 2003. MA will not fail you right away for ONE "not ready". It is unclear if you mean that OR you mean they will fail you right away for having a CEL, which in that case is correct but they will always fail you for a CEL no matter downpipes or something else wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
Only way to bypass this is the DP fix for JB4 or have it written in the MHD tune.
Confusing when you say "only way to pass" here because DP fix is NOT the only way to pass emissions. Again, you can have a "not ready" for O2 sensor and as long as you do the drive cycle and have all the other monitors ready, you will pass. A flash tune will take care of the CEL (COBB, MHD, etc.)

Hope that clears up my comment. There are just so many threads about this, specifically in our NEW ENGLAND section too, I just hate to keep repeating all the info that is in those threads. This may be a user error with not using search or a lack of a good New England admin to add stickies to the forum .
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States
228
Rep
2,066
Posts

Drives: 6MT rickshaw
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [5.00]
Just a disclaimer, the off the shelf maps for MHD by default disable the CEL / ready the car for inspection. It is not a separate feature, nor has to be "written in".

Island Road has passed, and has a similar setup. Downpipes and flash tunes on both cars.
__________________

07 E92 335i 6MT | MHD E40 v7.1 | BMS DCI | VRSF DP, FMIC & CP | PE Mod | Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP | Advan RS 18" | Fortune Auto / Swift | LUX 160 + Osram CBI | Dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
bmwpowr
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 09 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road View Post
NH here, never had a issue with inspection. My dads 535 tuned and my 335 pass NP. DP fix but now with MHD it passes.
So you have catless DPs, MHD flash, NO DP fix and you pass NH inspection without any issues?
That is good news if that is true.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
454
Rep
3,408
Posts

Drives: E90 & E92 with 487 ftlbs of tq
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
so how about those batteries!
__________________
E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 JBD

Got Boost?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
brewnami
Major
67
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor2cool4u View Post
It's just a little unclear what you mean in your post...



I've actually never seen a sniff test done in MA since an inspection I had in 2003. MA will not fail you right away for ONE "not ready". It is unclear if you mean that OR you mean they will fail you right away for having a CEL, which in that case is correct but they will always fail you for a CEL no matter downpipes or something else wrong.



Confusing when you say "only way to pass" here because DP fix is NOT the only way to pass emissions. Again, you can have a "not ready" for O2 sensor and as long as you do the drive cycle and have all the other monitors ready, you will pass. A flash tune will take care of the CEL (COBB, MHD, etc.)

Hope that clears up my comment. There are just so many threads about this, specifically in our NEW ENGLAND section too, I just hate to keep repeating all the info that is in those threads. This may be a user error with not using search or a lack of a good New England admin to add stickies to the forum .


Sorry, I should have elaborated more. Correct, MA will allow one "Not Ready" monitor. But, I think NH will sniff if cats say "Not Ready." I meant the only way to pass with JB4 is to have a DP Fix. And yes, you can write that out in flash tunes. I only know MHD because I've only ever run JB4 and MHD. Either way, a cheap scan tool will buy you some confidence going into inspection. I keep one in my car to check readiness at all times.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
brewnami
Major
67
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowr View Post
So you have catless DPs, MHD flash, NO DP fix and you pass NH inspection without any issues?
That is good news if that is true.
There are a million MHD flash files floating around. Just check your readiness with a scan tool. If all systems are ready (and you don't have a CEL), you will pass.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
bmwpowr
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 09 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
There are a million MHD flash files floating around. Just check your readiness with a scan tool. If all systems are ready (and you don't have a CEL), you will pass.
I have the Carly for BMW scan app, does that show readiness?
BTW, NH does not have exhaust sniffer test, unless that is something new in the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Island Road
Major
61
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowr View Post
So you have catless DPs, MHD flash, NO DP fix and you pass NH inspection without any issues?
That is good news if that is true.
FBO with upgraded twins and MDH pass fine, my dads 535xiT with the same mods and more just passed inspection this week without an issue.
__________________

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
Kevin335i (603)
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowr View Post
How do you guys pass NH state inspection?
I hear this is not possible with the catless downpipes because of readiness codes?

I was considering getting the VRSF downpipes, but I'm not willing to switch back to stock every year just for the state inspection, especially since my 335i is xDrive.

Figured I would ask and get opinions.
Thanks
I'm in NH and I have the VRSF Catless DP's, and my shop doesn't care about emissions as long as the check engine light isn't on. You'll need to buy the DP fix from VRSF as well, but it's not too expensive and it works for me. If you want the name of the shop I go to just send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST