E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > is this worth its?

02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
bcornwellatl
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

is this worth its?

So I have a cobb AP and have been driving Agressive mode. It feels like there is resistance, etc all the time. I currently have a stock intake and just added the K&L filter -

I'm thinking about buying this

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-54-82002-I...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but wanted to know - is it worth it and should I expect more breathing than the stock box?

I also want a FMIC - but under 600 bucks and easy mounting - I do not drive crazy - just burst of speed here and there...
bcornwellatl is offline   United_States
      02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
135Pats
Need more fuel

Drives: 135i

Buy a used ets fmic, itll bolt in with no cutting and its a very good core. Forget the $300+ intake for now.
135Pats is offline   United_States
      02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
bcornwellatl
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Buy a used ets fmic, itll bolt in with no cutting and its a very good core. Forget the $300+ intake for now.
Cool - good advice... I can't see the intake being a critical part - but the FMIC I can see being a bit more important.. I'll take your advice and look around and see if I can find somebody trying to off load their mods...

Have you ever had to replace the injectors? I'm wondering if some of the loss of power (press the gas and the car takes off, but feels like something is holding it back) - is the injectors not really doing their job based on the Cobb maps? I haven't really had time to play around - also thought about resetting the ECU and letting it learn my driving skills again...

If anybody reads this post and knows of a used FMIC as recommended above (ETS brand) - let me know - I'm in the market...
bcornwellatl is offline   United_States
      02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
ihc95
Major

Drives: TiAg E92 335i

Garage List
There's a used ets FMIC in the turbo engine classifieds. And the "car takes off but feels held back" statement makes no sense.
      02-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
hellomyBMW
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl
So I have a cobb AP and have been driving Agressive mode. It feels like there is resistance, etc all the time. I currently have a stock intake and just added the K&L filter -

I'm thinking about buying this

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-54-82002-I...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but wanted to know - is it worth it and should I expect more breathing than the stock box?

I also want a FMIC - but under 600 bucks and easy mounting - I do not drive crazy - just burst of speed here and there...
Just get your self a BMS DCI! Best deal for an intake! They all pretty much give similar output which is not noticeable.
      02-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
resistance? toss in some ethanol and flash an ethanol map. boom no more resistance.
      02-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Ænema
Captain

Drives: BMW

OP i suggest you grab a datalog just to be sure everything is performing as should be. It's hard to give solid advice on whether or not to make a purchase when it could be a problem with hardware isn't going to be fixed by a FMIC. With that said, i do HIGHLY recommend picking up an IC anyway, the stock unit is absolute garbage.