E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LSD

02-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
diddlkiss
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i E90 Lci N54

Garage List
LSD

hey all
I have a quaife atb LSD in my 335i,
But it's easier than ever to lose traction
I see yellow lights have been on the cluster.
anyone has some advise
DTC off?
thanks
diddlkiss is offline   China
      02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Dmacc
Colonel

Drives: 2010 135i

I run traction off, when you say it's easy to lose traction do you mean in a straight line or in a turn? I've found it harder to lose traction since the quaife install, then again I only have a 135 so my suspension characteristics are different than yours.

thanks to MGallop
      02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
crypticc
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

A LSD can help both maintain traction due to throttle in straight line, but also to lose traction in a return with predictable slip due to both wheels losing traction at same time (when with open diff one wheel would spin but the other would turn normally maintaining some directional stability, but unpredictably so)
crypticc is offline   United Kingdom
      02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

if you see the traction light means you did not switch off completely. keep the button pressed in for more than 3 seconds.
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
diddlkiss
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i E90 Lci N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
if you see the traction light means you did not switch off completely. keep the button pressed in for more than 3 seconds.
If I have LSD.
I should completely close it?
diddlkiss is offline   China
      02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
PR3CI5N
need4speed

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

I'd suggest pressing DTC once. This will allow you to have a little straight line wheel spin but DSC is still activated. Holding DTC for 3 seconds will disable DTC and DSC = Donut time
PR3CI5N is offline   United_States
      02-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
abhishriv
Major

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlkiss View Post
If I have LSD.
I should completely close it?
(sorry in advance if this sounds harsh but just trying to keep you out of trouble.)

the fact that you ask this question, indicates that you shouldnt completely turn off your DTC + DSC. im assuming that you've recently installed your LSD. i had mine installed not too long ago either, and realized that the LSD really does change the characteristics of our cars. In the dry, im sure you've noticed much more traction. but as mentioned above, in more slippery conditions, the LSD does tend to let your car slide out more. Yes the slide is predictable, but i suggest you learn to control these slides with normal traction, and then when more comfortable with DTC on. with DTC and DSC both off in slippery conditions, its not uncommon for the LSD to cause your car to whip out the rear without warning. all im saying is make sure you re learn your car and dont be so eager to turn off the systems that could keep you from crashing.