E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > AWD and xDrive Malfunction AFTER LOWERING (AIR RIDE)

03-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
ayyy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 N54 E92 335xi

AWD and xDrive Malfunction AFTER LOWERING (AIR RIDE)

Hey all,

I installed a full airlift performance kit with 3P management on my 2008 335xi E92 over the past couple days, and upon finally lowering the car on all 4 wheels again to calibrate the bags I got the dreaded "AWD and xDrive Malfunction ...... Drive Moderately" error on my iDrive screen. The 4x4 with the traction icon is present in the small screen between the gauges, as well as the triangle with "!" in it signaling no traction control. Also the yellow "BRAKE" light is lit up.

We still have some calibration left to do, so the car hasn't actually been shifted into drive or moved at all since these errors happened, but I hear some driving around and enough engine stop/starts makes the error go away. I was just concerned about this because during the install I:

1) Tapped power from the distribution terminal on the battery

2) Ran a remote wire into my cigarette lighter fuse via an add-a-fuse

3) Almost completely disassembled all suspension components and put the airlift struts/shocks/springs/control arms back in per instructions

I hear that lowering an XI causes this error to pop up, and that the steering angle sensor kinda freaks out, but any information anyone has to calm my nerves would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
ANMVQ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

^^ Isnt this just the simple start the car and turn the wheel all the way one way and all the way back the other way. The electric steering needs to be reset. I had this when I flashed my car,
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
ayyy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMVQ View Post
^^ Isnt this just the simple start the car and turn the wheel all the way one way and all the way back the other way. The electric steering needs to be reset. I had this when I flashed my car,
That's news to me, but the error reset itself after a little bit of driving. I probably cranked the wheel all the way left and right at some point during that. Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
ANMVQ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

No problem at all glad I could help, LOL if I did
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
Can happen if alignment is really off..mine did after I installed air then went right off after I turned wheel out of garage
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
ayyy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
Can happen if alignment is really off..mine did after I installed air then went right off after I turned wheel out of garage
Alignment was VERY off, but this happened the instant the first time the car was started. So didn't even turn the wheel or anything. But yeah, it has fixed itself, but these are all good things to know
Appreciate 0