E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > empty tank + cornering = limp mode?

02-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four

Drives: 335is LM Blue

empty tank + cornering = limp mode?

For the past 2 nights, i had the engine malfunction + limp mode hit me. Both times, the conditions are as follow:

1: 90 degree left hand corner
2: arnd 50% throttle out of the corner
3: gas tank was at 1/4 the first time n 1/10 the 2nd time
4: DTC off (1 short press)

right when i apply throttle arnd mid corner to power out, the car would accelerate a bit n then sputter + throw the engine malfunction light. It feels as if im down a few cylinders and the engine sputters and shakes quite violently, which im assuming is limp mode. since it happened twice under very similar conditions, im wondering if it has to do with the amount of fuel in the tank, which leads me to a few questions.

1. where is the LPFP located in the tank? driver side? middle? passenger side?
2: r the fuel tanks not baffled to prevent fuel starvation?

anyone ever ran into a similar situation? im gonna go fill up the tank soon and take some 90% left handers n see if itll be the same thing.
      02-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
trbolexis
Private

Drives: Lexus IS300

Located in the Pass side saddle tank. Do your best to keep your tank over 50% full if your going to do hard cornering.

The pump sits in a bucket that should *stay* close to 90% full under normal driving conditions.

Sounds like you may have more issues than just fueling... But that is purely speculation.
      02-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General

Drives: it has 4 wheels

Our engines hate low fuel situations, they actually even have a DTC for low fuel. I just recommend not driving super aggressively when the fuel levels are low.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
      02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

codes? ...
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      02-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbolexis View Post
Located in the Pass side saddle tank. Do your best to keep your tank over 50% full if your going to do hard cornering.

The pump sits in a bucket that should *stay* close to 90% full under normal driving conditions.

Sounds like you may have more issues than just fueling... But that is purely speculation.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Our engines hate low fuel situations, they actually even have a DTC for low fuel. I just recommend not driving super aggressively when the fuel levels are low.
it wasnt super aggressive corner, just "fast" cornering, maybe arnd 40KM/H 3000rpm?

u can see it here happening here

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
codes? ...
trying to find someone locally with a scanner i can use, does it have to be BMW specific or does any OBD II scanner work?
      02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

You saying it feels like your down a few cylinders and the engine shakes violently makes me think it's a misfire. Definitely try to get the codes soon because whatever it is there should definitely be a code stored
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
      02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
You saying it feels like your down a few cylinders and the engine shakes violently makes me think it's a misfire. Definitely try to get the codes soon because whatever it is there should definitely be a code stored
yeah missfire probably
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      02-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General

Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
yeah missfire probably
Agreed...My guess is injectors. If it here higher rpms I would look at spark plugs.

But when I lost power and the engine shook violently, it was an entire bank of injectors. I saw another video of something similar, not on turns, but shaking engine and Limp and CEL. It was injectors for him too, but again, until we get codes it will be tough to diagnose.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
      02-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
For the past 2 nights, i had the engine malfunction + limp mode hit me. Both times, the conditions are as follow:

1: 90 degree left hand corner
2: arnd 50% throttle out of the corner
3: gas tank was at 1/4 the first time n 1/10 the 2nd time
4: DTC off (1 short press)

right when i apply throttle arnd mid corner to power out, the car would accelerate a bit n then sputter + throw the engine malfunction light. It feels as if im down a few cylinders and the engine sputters and shakes quite violently, which im assuming is limp mode. since it happened twice under very similar conditions, im wondering if it has to do with the amount of fuel in the tank, which leads me to a few questions.

1. where is the LPFP located in the tank? driver side? middle? passenger side?
2: r the fuel tanks not baffled to prevent fuel starvation?

anyone ever ran into a similar situation? im gonna go fill up the tank soon and take some 90% left handers n see if itll be the same thing.
It is the LPFP or the HPFP on it way out. Had this happen more 3x time over the years. I check the LPFP first
Orb is offline   No_Country
      02-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
It is the LPFP or the HPFP on it way out. Had this happen more 3x time over the years. I check the LPFP first
+1. I went through 4 HPFPs and 1 LPFP in my last 335 and had the same symptoms each time. Go get it checked before you get stranded.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four

quick update, filled up the tank tonight, did some left n right handers, dtc off again, no limp mode or engine malfunction light. although tonight its very wet on the road, i had the car slightly sideways through those corners. so now im just crossing my fingers hoping it was a fuel starvation issue, but i will still pull the codes once i get my hands on a code scanner.
      02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Wescuddles
Captain

Drives: bsm 135i

LPFP
      02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Thanks

it wasnt super aggressive corner, just "fast" cornering, maybe arnd 40KM/H 3000rpm?

u can see it here happening here

trying to find someone locally with a scanner i can use, does it have to be BMW specific or does any OBD II scanner work?

You can read basic codes with high end OBD II scanners, but BMW specific of Bavarian Technic are still the best.

You can also use your tune?

You really should not have the problem at a 1/4 tank.

I had my car blinking 0 miles till empty and was still able to go through gears 1-4 WOT and hit some switch backs.

It does sound like fuel starvation or misfire. Get those codes read.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four

got a chance to quickly pull the code, didnt get the exact code, but it read "cylinder injector(or it could've been injection) deactivated" if i remember correctly