E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AR DP Question

02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
farzadkavari

Drives: 2009 BMW 335I coupe MT

Hello, i just installed the AR catless dps on my 09 335i and have drove it for over 60 miles and no check engine light so far and the car is running great. How comes i have not gotten the expected code yet? Just wondering..

By the way IF it does come on, what is the over all best solution? I am looking to eventually get a JB4, will that resolve the issue? What about the DP FIX from BMS?

Last edited by farzadkavari; 02-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.
      02-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

putting dps without a tune is pretty useless.
JB4 will solve the light with code clear on.
and for the light it will eventually pop up , takes time.
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      02-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Agreed 100%, what’s the point of downpipes without a tune? I suppose you’re letting the turbos breathe better, but on 8-9psi midrange that isn’t going to be much of an issue. I think there’s a PPK+FBO dyno around here (maybe on 1addicts) showing 320-330whp, so without a real tune even at FBO you’re missing out on 50-70whp. Get the tune if you really want to take advantage of your downpipes. Well, actually, get a FMIC and tune so you can repeatedly take advantage of your downpipes
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
^ +1

The DP fix is for emission purposes only. It sets the readiness code fooling the emmission reader device into thinking the oem cats are present and working.

G5 ISO|BMS Flash|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
bigdaddycane is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
farzadkavari

Drives: 2009 BMW 335I coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Agreed 100%, what’s the point of downpipes without a tune? I suppose you’re letting the turbos breathe better, but on 8-9psi midrange that isn’t going to be much of an issue. I think there’s a PPK+FBO dyno around here (maybe on 1addicts) showing 320-330whp, so without a real tune even at FBO you’re missing out on 50-70whp. Get the tune if you really want to take advantage of your downpipes. Well, actually, get a FMIC and tune so you can repeatedly take advantage of your downpipes
If i wanted to go get emission test before the light comes on, will it pass?
      02-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
If i wanted to go get emission test before the light comes on, will it pass?
Iím not sure but I doubt it, sometimes people drive a bit before the light comes on, but even then Iím not sure if the car will get to the ďreadyĒ stage needed to pass emissions. Bottom line, if you need to pass an OBD emissions test, youíll very likely need DP fix or a DMV technician who is professionally negligent.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

It can sometimes take a while for the light to come up. All depends on your DME software. Newer software is more sensitive.

The JB4 will clear the codes but it does so by deleting them so you will not pass an OBD inspection. The DP fix will allow you to pass the OBD inspection.

Now if you need a sniffer test thats a whole other issue.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
      02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
Hello, i just installed the AR catless dps on my 09 335i and have drove it for over 60 miles and no check engine light so far and the car is running great. How comes i have not gotten the expected code yet? Just wondering..

By the way IF it does come on, what is the over all best solution? I am looking to eventually get a JB4, will that resolve the issue? What about the DP FIX from BMS?
DP Fix can fix the CEL.

However all the popular tunes can also fix it and bump your power by atleast 60WHP if not more. Definitely look into a tune. Downpipes with a tune adds very little power.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
shadow191
Captain

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

It'll come, it will just take some more driving. Likely you haven't gone through the full cycle of driving yet. The last things to show readiness are the catalyst, O2, and EVAP. It's why when people clear codes before emissions, they have to either do the BMW drive cycle or drive for a few days. I just dealt with all this about a week ago.