E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Replacing coils, do I need to replace plugs since they were just replaced?

08-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
jeffdubya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi (6-speed)

Replacing coils, do I need to replace plugs since they were just replaced?

I'm getting misfires in cylinders 1 & 3, and I know it's not the plugs because I just had all the plugs replaced a few weeks ago.

So I'm going to replace the coils in those cylinders. I have heard that a bad coil can cause a plug to go bad as well. So, do I need to replace those two plugs as well, even though they are only a few weeks old? I realize plugs are cheap so it wouldn't be super expensive to just go ahead and replace them, but I hate to be wasteful.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
madmantwo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdubya View Post
I'm getting misfires in cylinders 1 & 3, and I know it's not the plugs because I just had all the plugs replaced a few weeks ago.

So I'm going to replace the coils in those cylinders. I have heard that a bad coil can cause a plug to go bad as well. So, do I need to replace those two plugs as well, even though they are only a few weeks old? I realize plugs are cheap so it wouldn't be super expensive to just go ahead and replace them, but I hate to be wasteful.
Nope, replace the coils and your plugs should still be fine. If you are still getting misfires after that, it might be leaky injectors causing the problem
2010 BSM 335i 6MT M-Sport | MHD | VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | BMS DCI | ER CP | Turbosmart Kompact Dual-Port BOV | BMW PE + Vibrant 1792 | Boost Concepts LPFP | Koni Yellow Front Struts | TC Kline SA Koni Rear Struts | Swift Spec-R | MFactory Helical LSD | E93 M3 FSB | Powerflex Yellow Subframe Bushings | Powerflex Purple Diff Bushings | Pending install: M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Struts
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
jeffdubya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi (6-speed)

Did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantwo View Post
Nope, replace the coils and your plugs should still be fine. If you are still getting misfires after that, it might be leaky injectors causing the problem
Runs beautifully. No fault codes. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 1