E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > questions/advice on a pending purchase...

02-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
EricEst1978
Private

Drives: soon...

questions/advice on a pending purchase...

I posted this in the maintenance section and wasn't able to get a response so I thought I'd try here

It looks like I will be purchasing an AW 08 335i Sedan.

It has been meticulously maintained receipts, records, etc. and has warranty and maintenance in place until Aug 2014 or 100k--car is at 55k at the moment.

I have seen the car and had the opportunity to test drive it just over a week ago. Given the aforementioned, is a pre-purchase inspection necessary?

Secondly, at what mileage is it advisable to look in to walnut blasting? Is there a specific mileage, or do people wait for certain symptoms?

Thanks in advance for your responses/advice guys, I appreciate it and look forward to officially joining the community in the next week or so.

This post sponsored by the Department of Redundancy Department.
      02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

If it's got warranty and maint for another 1.5 years, just about anything that fails will be fixed.

You can have it inspected but, what's the point?

How much? Does it have sport package? I wouldn't buy a 335 w/out it.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
EricEst1978
Private

It does have sport package. Essentially loaded with every option except navigation.

It has ceramic tint on the windows so as not to interfere with comfort access. It also has the wheel/tire package through 2016.

With respect to the inspection, your question is exactly what caused me to question the need for one. I'm just trying to be smart about this purchase. I wasn't sure if the inspection would point out any issues which might not be under warranty, or those which could present themselves down the road, after the warranty expiration, etc.

I just want to be diligent.
      02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
der_kommissar
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 328i E90

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Check to see if the high pressure fuel pump has been replaced yet. You have plenty of time on warranty to get it done if it has not. Personally, I think I'd wait a year and get a LCI '09 if you could. I like the look and interior a bit better. The maintenance plan does not have a ton of value- don't let them up sell you on it. It's a nice throw in, but it does not make that car worth a ton more than a similar one without it. You can afford to be picky with a used e90 3 series- there are a ton of them.
der_kommissar is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
EricEst1978
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
Check to see if the high pressure fuel pump has been replaced yet. You have plenty of time on warranty to get it done if it has not. Personally, I think I'd wait a year and get a LCI '09 if you could. I like the look and interior a bit better. The maintenance plan does not have a ton of value- don't let them up sell you on it. It's a nice throw in, but it does not make that car worth a ton more than a similar one without it. You can afford to be picky with a used e90 3 series- there are a ton of them.
Oh there's no shortage of supply and I believe I am getting a fair price. What is appealing to me is that the current owner has kept impeccable records on the car, including gas receipts to evidence use of premium fuel during his ownership.

I've seen (and driven the car) in person and it appears to be in immaculate condition. The meticulous nature in which records were kept IS huge for me because (in my mind) it speaks to the manner in which the vehicle was treated.

Many of the other comparable vehicles that are out there, do not have the existing warranty or wheel and tire package, but most importantly, they do not contain the thorough records which makes it difficult to determine how well the car was treated.
      02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Brad@TransitionLED

Drives: E90

I think it comes down to price. If you're paying on the higher end for it it may be in your best interest. If you're getting a good/great deal on it it may be worth the risk and just buy it.

Despite the owner being meticulous about maintenance, the car may still have issues. Just food for thought.