E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Fuel Pump Replacement

02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Merv
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
335d Fuel Pump Replacement

As some of you may already know from my previous posts, I've had sluggish acceleration from my 335d. My car has been reliable and never had any problems accept for sluggish acceleration that seemed intermittent.

One issue that happened last summer while on vacation was an issue where the car wouldn't start. Even after repeated attempts the car would just crank over. That was with about 20k miles on the car. I waited 35 min and the car started again. The iDrive display said there was a fuel pump problem but I thought It was air in the fuel lines because the problem seemed like it went a way and everything was fine. BMW also checked it out but didn't see any fault codes when I had my oil changed. So fast forward to 42k miles, which was the other day, and my 335d showed the same fuel pump problem message on the iDrive display. The car just cranked and cranked but with no start. After several attempts I called BMW Assist and had my car towed to my BMW Center. On a side not the car started again, just like before, but the tow guy was on his way so I let it go to BMW without mentioning it starting again. Plus I didn't want any codes to be cleared out of the computer. After a couple days they called and said the car had a lot of codes but they believe the problem was the fuel pump. So they had to order the pump and hope that clears all the other fault codes. Well, today I get a call and the car is ready for pick up. My very helpful SA mentioned they found a lot of debris in the fuel system. When I pick up my car I'm going to report back on any change in performance as well as which pump was replaced.

I've only used major brands when getting diesel. But the car was driven 9k before I bought it. There's always a chance you get a bad batch of diesel.

I'm wondering if a fuel pump problem has ever happened to anyone else with a 335d?
      02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Mark M
Captain

Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Hope everything pans out for you.

If you have read up on the issue affecting the VW TDI you'll be slightly nervous.

Their cars are going through fuel pumps, the high pressure one. When the pump fails it grenades sending metal bits through the fuel system. Other parts then tend to fail shortly after the pump is replaced due to metal bits messing things up. Fuel injectors and the new fuel pump are at risk as these metal bits circulate.

Hoping the best for you...just keep an accurate log of all the details in case you need to go back.
Mark M is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

You're the first. Did they replace the pump in the tank or the hpfp?
      02-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d

Interestingly, I had the SES come on last week, and the dealer says it was a code for "low fuel", meaning that the lift pump wasn't able to supply the HPFP. They weren't able to duplicate it, so I'm waiting for it to happen again.

The dealer wanted to accuse my independent shop of failing to bleed the fule lines correctly after replacing the fuel filter - but they did that the day AFTER the light came on (previous appointment.)
floydarogers is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
135i_vs_
Lieutenant

Drives: M5(sold), 135i(sold), 335d

I had high pressure fuel pump replaced because they found metal shavings in the fuel rail. Pump was replaced at 53k.
135i_vs_ is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Merv
Enlisted Member

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Update: I got my car back yesterday. And the pump they replaced was the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. They apparently found a lot of debris in the strainer. I hope they installed it properly and there won't be anymore problems. The Tech that installed it forgot to get my seat belt from out behind my seat and my seats don't fold down. Anyway, the car drives great, though there was slight hesitation and jerkiness this morning. But that could also be because it was cold. So far the car accelerates without the common lag I've been experiencing. Probably because the pump is running now at full capacity to supply the high pressure pump. I'm just happy to have my car back and the fuel pump replaced under warranty. I'm going to stick with name brand fuel hope that minimizes debris in my tank.

Does anyone think they would drain my tank and remove any debris in there with a flush? Reason I ask is I dropped it off with half a tank of diesel and picked it up with half a tank of diesel. And I'm wondering if they flushed my tank and replaced the same quantity of diesel. On my receipt it states fuel line bleeding but nothing about flushing my fuel tank.

Any suggestions about keeping my tank clean to avoid replacing a fuel pump, or is replacing a fuel pump every 50k something to expect?
      02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Quasimodem
Colonel

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Interestingly, I had the SES come on last week, and the dealer says it was a code for "low fuel", meaning that the lift pump wasn't able to supply the HPFP. They weren't able to duplicate it, so I'm waiting for it to happen again.

The dealer wanted to accuse my independent shop of failing to bleed the fule lines correctly after replacing the fuel filter - but they did that the day AFTER the light came on (previous appointment.)
Please try to find the code that was thrown, and let us know maybe it is on your receipt.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
kbsilver
Private First Class

Don't think it's normal to replace fuel pumps on a regular basis. In my opinion it's more important to use stations that move a lot of fuel and have fresh stock than the brand. There is a Gulf station by me, with one lonely diesl pump in the back, that I never see anyone using. I will never buy from them. Down the road is a private name dealer that deals a lot in Diesel and fuel oil. They have new above ground tanks, several Diesel bays, there are always trucks there filling up. This is where I usually go. They indicated they get their fuel from Hess. Never have had a problem so far.

There are also the super discount brands like Fuel One and Pit Stop in my area. They are buying on the spot market and may get old or contaminted fuel (in my opinion). Years ago a friend got 2 gallons of gas and 10 gallons of water from one of these places on a fill up.
      02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW

OP. I had pretty much the exact same symptoms you experienced on your D with an old Jeep I had that had the fuel tank replaced with A used one from a salvage yard.

Apparently there had been sediment in the tank and so when the tank would get low I would end up having acceleration problems and fuel starvation ultimately when I got real low in the tank.

If I allowed myself to get too low on gas and then try and start the car it would not start. However, if I let it sit for about an hour the settlement would fall out of the strainer and I would be a will to start the car again

Given your after action report I would be a bit suspect that you may have debris in your tank that may not have been cleaned out with the service visit. You may need a new fuel tank and also I would recommend a new source of diesel for you
      02-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Merv
Enlisted Member

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
OP. I had pretty much the exact same symptoms you experienced on your D with an old Jeep I had that had the fuel tank replaced with A used one from a salvage yard.

Apparently there had been sediment in the tank and so when the tank would get low I would end up having acceleration problems and fuel starvation ultimately when I got real low in the tank.

If I allowed myself to get too low on gas and then try and start the car it would not start. However, if I let it sit for about an hour the settlement would fall out of the strainer and I would be a will to start the car again

Given your after action report I would be a bit suspect that you may have debris in your tank that may not have been cleaned out with the service visit. You may need a new fuel tank and also I would recommend a new source of diesel for you
I'm going to make sure I get diesel at the Exxon or BP of which I know are both very high traffic. Besides a lot of trucks, I see a lot of the people working at the VW plant in Chattanooga and other TDI owners getting their diesel at the BP off I-75. The sticker on the pump says Cetane 40 and #2 diesel at the BP but there aren't any stickers on the diesel pumps at Exxon.

I'm pretty sure my tank wasn't flushed out or anything while in service so your probably right about the debris still in there. I know that if I was running a shop and found debris in someone's tank I'd replace more than the fuel pump to make sure the vehicle won't suffer from the same problem with new parts. My warranty runs out in 8000 miles and I've been thinking about an extended warranty just so I don't get any major repair bills down the road. I'm under the assumption that BMW won't replace the tank or anything else unless they see it needing replacement. I'm just concerned about remaining debris in the tank now.