E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Had to pull the tranny on my 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
turbotko
Lieutenant
7
Rep
476
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335I
Join Date: May 2007
Location: georgia

iTrader: (3)

Had to pull the tranny on my 335i

Since the car has been new I've felt an intermittent pulsing vibration in the clutch pedal, only happened every once in a while. Yesterday, the pulse became constant and I could also feel it in the shifter. Also, there was alot of noise coming from the transmission.......sounded like there were rocks inside of it when the clutch pedal was out. So out came the tranny this morning.

A couple of things I noticed after pulling the tranny. The dual mass flywheel was stuck in one position which no doubt was causing all the gear noise and pedal vibration. I've never seen one do this before, and it's probably just a freak bad flywheel from the factory. No biggie, I ordered a new one and will be back together tomorrow.

The most interesting thing I noticed was the input shaft on the tranny. The thing is HUGE :rocks: I swear it's at least 2 inches in diameter, and the pilot bearing is inside the input shaft. The flywheel has a small shaft sticking out of the front of it that goes into the bearing in the input shaft. Never seen one setup like this on a BMW. I know I haven't heard of anyone breaking one of these manual trannies on modded 335's, but this reinforces it. That sucker is made to take some abuse from the looks of it.

Maybe I can get some pictures of the input shaft of the tranny today, and I'll post them up if I can figure out how.
__________________
2011 335is coupe white/red
06 kawasaki ZX6R in Kawi green
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
HyperM3's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
6,169
Posts

 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
Did you ever experience any intermittant grinding when going into gears?
__________________
13 HD FatBob
14 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton Audi
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: north eastern usa

iTrader: (0)

why are you pulling it? why not take ot to a dealer,should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
derryck
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
668
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

While you were in there did u notice anything that might cause the feedback in the clutch pedal when the wipers are on? That's the most annoying thing in this car...it really makes it feel cheap. I have owned lots of other BMW's and never have I felt my windshield wipers through the clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
I'm assuming that you're a BMW tech since you did the work yourself, since one would ask why you didn't take it in under warranty.
I'd love to see the pics though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Since the car has been new I've felt an intermittent pulsing vibration in the clutch pedal, only happened every once in a while. Yesterday, the pulse became constant and I could also feel it in the shifter. Also, there was alot of noise coming from the transmission.......sounded like there were rocks inside of it when the clutch pedal was out. So out came the tranny this morning.

A couple of things I noticed after pulling the tranny. The dual mass flywheel was stuck in one position which no doubt was causing all the gear noise and pedal vibration. I've never seen one do this before, and it's probably just a freak bad flywheel from the factory. No biggie, I ordered a new one and will be back together tomorrow.

The most interesting thing I noticed was the input shaft on the tranny. The thing is HUGE :rocks: I swear it's at least 2 inches in diameter, and the pilot bearing is inside the input shaft. The flywheel has a small shaft sticking out of the front of it that goes into the bearing in the input shaft. Never seen one setup like this on a BMW. I know I haven't heard of anyone breaking one of these manual trannies on modded 335's, but this reinforces it. That sucker is made to take some abuse from the looks of it.

Maybe I can get some pictures of the input shaft of the tranny today, and I'll post them up if I can figure out how.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Spool
******
Spool's Avatar
Vietnam
176
Rep
6,164
Posts

 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'm assuming that you're a BMW tech since you did the work yourself, since one would ask why you didn't take it in under warranty.
I'd love to see the pics though!

+1
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
26
Rep
1,884
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
While you were in there did u notice anything that might cause the feedback in the clutch pedal when the wipers are on? That's the most annoying thing in this car...it really makes it feel cheap. I have owned lots of other BMW's and never have I felt my windshield wipers through the clutch pedal.
This is extremely annoying!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

I've felt wipers though pedals in lots of cars. Probably an issue of both being on the firewall or something where the "clunk" of the wiper is felt.

I didn't know the 335 had wipers hasn't rained in 6 months or more.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
derryck
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
668
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

I have felt simliar wiper feed back but never on a 'higher end' car like the BMW. It wouldn't bother me much on an old Honda but on a $50K BMW it really ticks me off. My M3 doesn't have this annoyance...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
turbotko
Lieutenant
7
Rep
476
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335I
Join Date: May 2007
Location: georgia

iTrader: (3)

LOL, yeah I'm not doing this in my driveway guys. Nah, the wiper feedback into the pedals is normal, although a bit annoying I must admit. This car does so many things well you can't expect EVERYTHING to be perfect can you?

I'll see if I can get some pics of the input shaft today......whether I'll be able to figure out how to post them is a different story!! BTW, I am all stock and don't abuse the car really, I just think it's just one of those freak deals.
__________________
2011 335is coupe white/red
06 kawasaki ZX6R in Kawi green
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,327
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
I have felt simliar wiper feed back but never on a 'higher end' car like the BMW. It wouldn't bother me much on an old Honda but on a $50K BMW it really ticks me off. My M3 doesn't have this annoyance...


I believe it's related to the brake drying feature on new BMW's. The wipers must be working (makes sense IMO) for the feature to activate.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,327
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
I have felt simliar wiper feed back but never on a 'higher end' car like the BMW. It wouldn't bother me much on an old Honda but on a $50K BMW it really ticks me off. My M3 doesn't have this annoyance...


I believe it's related to the brake drying feature on new BMW's. The wipers must be working (makes sense IMO).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
turbotko
Lieutenant
7
Rep
476
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335I
Join Date: May 2007
Location: georgia

iTrader: (3)

Here's a couple of pictures. I guess it doesn't really matter how nice of a camera you got if the operator sucks
Attached Images
    
__________________
2011 335is coupe white/red
06 kawasaki ZX6R in Kawi green
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
HyperM3's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
6,169
Posts

 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
Wow I think I just got motion sickness looking at them. Good thing youre not a surgeon with those shakey hands.
__________________
13 HD FatBob
14 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton Audi
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
achien
AC
Canada
28
Rep
2,378
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Wow I think I just got motion sickness looking at them. Good thing youre not a surgeon with those shakey hands.
The OP must be a smoker...
__________________
Your Supreme Leader
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Wow I think I just got motion sickness looking at them. Good thing youre not a surgeon with those shakey hands.
haha! I got a little cross-eyed as well!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #17
turbotko
Lieutenant
7
Rep
476
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335I
Join Date: May 2007
Location: georgia

iTrader: (3)

LOL, well I've never been able to get good pictures with that camera, and it's an expensive one. I'm sure I'm not using it right cause I'm not THAT shaky. Hell, I even had my arms braced on a couple of them.
__________________
2011 335is coupe white/red
06 kawasaki ZX6R in Kawi green
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: SG M6 coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
While you were in there did u notice anything that might cause the feedback in the clutch pedal when the wipers are on? That's the most annoying thing in this car...it really makes it feel cheap. I have owned lots of other BMW's and never have I felt my windshield wipers through the clutch pedal.
Weirdest problem ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
HyperM3's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
6,169
Posts

 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Hell, I even had my arms braced on a couple of them.
With what, a jackhammer?
__________________
13 HD FatBob
14 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton Audi
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
LOL, well I've never been able to get good pictures with that camera, and it's an expensive one. I'm sure I'm not using it right cause I'm not THAT shaky. Hell, I even had my arms braced on a couple of them.
check the shutter speed. It must be less than 1/30 of a second. Increase it to 1/100 of a second or higher.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #21
achien
AC
Canada
28
Rep
2,378
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
check the shutter speed. It must be less than 1/30 of a second. Increase it to 1/100 of a second or higher.
Better yet, use a tri-pod.
__________________
Your Supreme Leader
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Better yet, use a tri-pod.
and a flash!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST