E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > The Dashcam Thread

05-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
xXSupa
youtube.com/xSupaD

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

The Dashcam Thread

I've been a dashcam user for over 3 years now, and I never drive anywhere without my dashcam on and recording.

What is a dashcam you may ask? A dashboard camera, otherwise known as a dashcam, is a camera mounted on the dash, or windshield of your car that is continuously recording, and turns on/off with the car. Some people have gone ever further as to hard wiring the dashcams so they can keep recording even if the car is turned off. Police cars have been using dashcams for decades now, but the public has only started being exposed to dashcams in the past few years.

I created this thread in hopes of increasing awareness for dashcams, and hope that more people will use them. Many other car forums have a similar thread already.

This thread has 2 main purposes:
1. A general thread for people to ask questions about dashcams
2. A thread for people to upload videos they have captures on their dashcams

A dashcam goes for anywhere between $20 to $500 depending on its features and video quality. It is really a cheap investment that can save you thousands in the future.

Many of you guys probably have already seen the hit and run video that was captured on a member's dashcam while he was parked:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981903

We'll see how far this thread goes

Post your dashcam videos, and ask any questions you may have regarding dashcams!

Here, I'll start:

xXSupa is offline   Canada
      05-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
evoix
Captain

Drives: blue 335 4 door

wtf is wrong with people. These kids are straight dumbasses
      05-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...

Drives: LCI 335i

lol they saw your camera..
      05-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Joseph@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW 335

WWW.EXTREMEPOWERHOUSE.COM|| Facebook Page||Android Free App
      05-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

LOL at the second video...
As stated in another thread, I just can't see the extra pain in the ass effort it takes to hook up a dash cam and all the extra wiring and etc. etc...

If the thief or perpetrator really wanted to do something off, they would just shatter your window and take the damn cam right out anyway- then bye-bye evidence and add some additional supplemental vehicle damage.

Besides, in an age of big brother surveillance, especially in most major cities of United States, there is a video camera at practically every location.

It seems like a needless cause for unwanted attention- as can be seen in the second video example
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      05-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
WRichieX
Captain

Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
I'm in. I'm thinking the blackvue 2 channel wifi one. Probably overkill but hey, if you're gonna get one, get the most.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
WRichieX is offline   United_States
      05-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Prissy
Brigadier General

Drives: e92

Prissy is offline   Taiwan
      05-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
drunkenup
First Lieutenant

Drives: '08 BMW 335i, '10 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
LOL at the second video...
As stated in another thread, I just can't see the extra pain in the ass effort it takes to hook up a dash cam and all the extra wiring and etc. etc...

If the thief or perpetrator really wanted to do something off, they would just shatter your window and take the damn cam right out anyway- then bye-bye evidence and add some additional supplemental vehicle damage.

Besides, in an age of big brother surveillance, especially in most major cities of United States, there is a video camera at practically every location.

It seems like a needless cause for unwanted attention- as can be seen in the second video example
Every accident I've seen or been in didn't have the help of a camera or witness.. in fact some spineless bitch is about to get away with scratching up my Audi. I even know who did it. A dash cam would've saved me a lot of trouble. I'm buying one now.
      05-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

I would love to, but I just can't see hacking up my interior to wire one.

The way shit is around the New York New Jersey area, believe me- I was thinking about it- and I still do sometimes. Besides just wiring it properly, the field of view is a concern, as it can only face forward- unless you get another dash cam for the back.

Even then, I don't know if you can ever get a 360 view of the car from what I've seen.

If they ever came out with a motion sensing cam that would awaken and track the activity via a swivel like mechanism of some sort, I might be in.

Let me know what set up you decide to go with bud.
      05-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:

The way shit is around the New York New Jersey area, believe me- I was thinking about it- and I still do sometimes. Besides just wiring it properly, the field of view is a concern, as it can only face forward- unless you get another dash cam for the back.

Even then, I don't know if you can ever get a 360 view of the car from what I've seen.

If they ever came out with a motion sensing cam that would awaken and track the activity via a swivel like mechanism of some sort, I might be in.

Yup they have motion detecting cameras also. My friend has a blackvue wifi...so awesome. It has so many features, very useful.
      05-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd
Quote:

Yup they have motion detecting cameras also. My friend has a blackvue wifi...so awesome. It has so many features, very useful.
Dammit- you bastards are going to get me hooked on the idea of getting one now!
      05-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
xXSupa
youtube.com/xSupaD

Quote:

Installing a dashcam is actually really easy. There isn't any hacking of the interior required if you just want a simple set up. Tuck the wires in the little slit between the panels and the window and secure it with clips or tape. Works like a charm.
      05-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Thank you. Will revisit the possibility
      05-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Mardio
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 335is space grey

This is a good idea I think.
      05-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
powerhouse_b

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
I have a dashcam, but I use it mostly when going on scenic drives. Two reasons are holding me back from leaving it always on:

1. I don't like the idea of hard-wiring the dashcam. I know you about power magic, but it's still draining your battery and this means shorter battery lifespan. If you set it to cut the power early, then you won't be able to record too much. So how is the battery holding up, for those of you who've had it for more than a year?

2. At least with my dashcam (gt680w), if I hide it behind the rear view mirror, because of the wide angle, some portion of the mirror shows up on video. So I have to move it just a bit down and to the left, but this makes the dashcam too obvious.
powerhouse_b is offline   United_States
      05-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Morning Would
Private

Drives: like a boss

I have a G1W on the way after ALOT of research. I wanted a no frills dashcam that does exactly as intended with great video quality in case something happens. The G1W gets rave reviews as the best bang for your buck at less than $60. Didn't need all the other fancy crap that some of the more expensive models have. Just wanted something that could record my driving as well as audio in car should I need it someday to prove my side of the story from something simple like a traffic stop or accident.
      05-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #17
xXSupa
youtube.com/xSupaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouse_b View Post
I have a dashcam, but I use it mostly when going on scenic drives. Two reasons are holding me back from leaving it always on:

1. I don't like the idea of hard-wiring the dashcam. I know you about power magic, but it's still draining your battery and this means shorter battery lifespan. If you set it to cut the power early, then you won't be able to record too much. So how is the battery holding up, for those of you who've had it for more than a year?

2. At least with my dashcam (gt680w), if I hide it behind the rear view mirror, because of the wide angle, some portion of the mirror shows up on video. So I have to move it just a bit down and to the left, but this makes the dashcam too obvious.
I've had a Dashcam for over 3 years and have never had any problems with the battery. Some cameras are better then others at being stealth. My favourite is probably the BlackVue cameras, you can't even see them from the outside if mounted properly.
      05-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
vanondemand
Banned

Drives: E92 335i M/T

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
When you getting an e9x supa
vanondemand is offline   Canada
      05-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #19
xXSupa
youtube.com/xSupaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanondemand View Post
When you getting an e9x supa
Unless if a super deal pops up, most likely late august or september. I'll be on vacation for July and half of august. I don't want to buy a car and let it sit for 2 months. Might as well buy it after I come back.
      05-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #20
335dM
Major

Drives: 335d m package

I have a Blackvue dr500gw-hd
mounted under my rear view mirror.
My car is a 2011 335d m-sport
As you guys know, both cigarette lighter or 12v have NO constant power therefor unable to plug the power magic cord to get constant recording even when parked.
I assume that my CAS module controls everything and that I cannot plug it to the battery to get constant voltage because it will see that there is something still alive and won't go to sleep because of this matter.

How do I get constant voltage ?
Modify the cig lighter source ?
Please chime me...
      05-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #21
pepsih
Captain

Drives: E90 335i

I already like this thread here is a video when I hit a pothole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=GampM95n1vY
pepsih is offline   France
      05-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
xXSupa
youtube.com/xSupaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
I have a Blackvue dr500gw-hd
mounted under my rear view mirror.
My car is a 2011 335d m-sport
As you guys know, both cigarette lighter or 12v have NO constant power therefor unable to plug the power magic cord to get constant recording even when parked.
I assume that my CAS module controls everything and that I cannot plug it to the battery to get constant voltage because it will see that there is something still alive and won't go to sleep because of this matter.

How do I get constant voltage ?
Modify the cig lighter source ?
Please chime me...
All BMWs have this problem. You will have to wire it directly to the battery source. I believe for E9x's, the battery is in the trunk.

This video shows how to hardwire for a E92. E90s should be similar.