E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Speaker crackle when car slows down...

02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 328i

Speaker crackle when car slows down...

Specifically when using AUX connector and if using cruise and slowing down using the cruise stick is when I have noticed a pop/crackle intermittently in my speakers.

I believe I noticed it once or twice when downshifting/slowing down slightly as well.

It would seem to be a grounding issue but I've not the slightest idea where to start.

EDIT: Added video/description

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I have had your exact problem. I also heard it first when using cruise control.

It took me a long time to realize that it was also happening during normal braking

So this is happening either using the cruise control stick (pulling back on it to slow down) or being over the set speed, blipping the throttle and letting the car naturally slow itself (popping happens just after blipping the throttle).

As you can hear it's very pronounced, and I have definitely never heard it without the cruise on.

Last edited by Agentphish; 10-07-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added video/description
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
wisstringa82
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335I 2008

speaker crackle.

Have you found a answer to this because I am having same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisstringa82 View Post
I have definitely not found an answer. No one on here seems to know what it is, though some of us are definitely experiencing it.

I wish I had. My guess is its a grounding issue in the AUX jack or elsewhere in the audio system. It's just strange that is also involves cruise control.
      10-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Specifically when using AUX connector and if using cruise and slowing down using the cruise stick is when I have noticed a pop/crackle intermittently in my speakers.

I believe I noticed it once or twice when downshifting/slowing down slightly as well.

It would seem to be a grounding issue but I've not the slightest idea where to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisstringa82 View Post
Quote:
I have definitely not found an answer. No one on here seems to know what it is, though some of us are definitely experiencing it.

I wish I had. My guess is its a grounding issue in the AUX jack or elsewhere in the audio system. It's just strange that is also involves cruise control.
All:

What is your system config? Stock or other than stock? If other than stock, what kind of harness is installed?

I'm willing to bet it happens when normal braking as well, you just don't notice bc you are intent on braking.

The interference is caused by the left rear brake light. The harness parallels the path of the audio harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All:

What is your system config? Stock or other than stock? If other than stock, what kind of harness is installed?

I'm willing to bet it happens when normal braking as well, you just don't notice bc you are intent on braking.

The interference is caused by the left rear brake light. The harness parallels the path of the audio harness.
I am interested in your theory, however...

I haven't ever noticed it on braking at all. Only when using cruise. I drive with music on CONSTANTLY and these pops/static are very easily noticeable. I'm going to try to make a video today at lunch and I'll add to this post so you can hear.

I haven't made any modifications to any of the audio components themselves. I have the stock HiFi system with the BMW Professional radio. Noticed this the first week I owned the car.

Since then, I have a V1 hardwired in the car but this happened before I put that in. I also have a AirExtender AirPlay hotspot coupled with a FiiO DAC (nothing is hardwired), but again this happened before I put that in.

I appreciate your expertise taibanl.
      10-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

I have had your exact problem. I also heard it first when using cruise control.

It took me a long time to realize that it was also happening during normal braking
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Posted video in original post along with further description
      10-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
akotten
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335xi

I have this same issue, but not quite as bad as yours. Its much quieter, but same symptoms. Stock radio and has done it for the last 3 years. Seems to happen when the cruise control system slows down the vehicle, whether that's done by your command or when automatically applying the brakes on a steep hill. I have no idea.
      10-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
I have this same issue, but not quite as bad as yours. Its much quieter, but same symptoms. Stock radio and has done it for the last 3 years. Seems to happen when the cruise control system slows down the vehicle, whether that's done by your command or when automatically applying the brakes on a steep hill. I have no idea.
yeah. Interested to hear taibanl's reply after he watches the video since he says he had the same thing and seems to know where it came from....

BTW my volume was turned up pretty high, but still, it's very noticeable at regular music listening volumes
      10-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

So it sounds like a more pronounced version of what I had.

Try the following

Recheck ground on aft left wheel well (behind trunk trim)
Check again

Disconnect left tail light and check again

In my case I no longer have it after some combination of: tail light swap, new audio harness, messing with grounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
akotten
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:

Try the following

Check again

In my case I no longer have it after some combination of: tail light swap, new audio harness, messing with grounds.
An issue with a ground sounds logical. If that's the location of it, I'll give it a look. Thanks
      10-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Try the following

Check again

Yeah I definitely want to check that ground when I get home then.

Also, taibanl, ever heard anything like this? Unlocked my car and opened the door (key not even in ignition) one day over a year ago (about 3 months after I got the car) and this noise went on for 20 minutes while I drove to the shop (scheduled appointment) and stopped when I turned the car off. I've never heard it again...

10-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

See my post on defective OEM HU, I don't believe the bulletin that I QUOTED is applicable, however I do think one of the linked ones on the bottom of my first post may apply to this.

What is your prod month?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See my post on defective OEM HU, I don't believe the bulletin that I QUOTED is applicable, however I do think one of the linked ones on the bottom of my first post may apply to this.

What is your prod month?
It's an '08 model made 10/2007. Thanks for the heads up on your post. I'll give it a read.

I disconnected my left tail light, went for a ride, issue persisted.

I pulled the carpeting out there on that left rear side, all the ground wires feel secure. The wires under the hood feel good as well. To be clear these are the only wires I need to check to make sure they are secure...

10-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

I think maybe a HU swap is in order for you

What features do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think maybe a HU swap is in order for you

What features do you have?
You think HU is causing the static to occur when I slow with the cruise?
Odd. It only happens when using AUX input mode so that's just strange to me that the popping/crackle only happens when using that input. Wouldn't it be everywhere if it was the radio's issue?

The other buzz thing only ever happened once. So it doesn't terribly concern me.

I don't have USB. Just Aux and Cig lighter in the armrest.
As for audio related stuff VIN Decoder tells me:
Production date 10/16/2007
S645A BMW US Radio BMW US Radio
S663A Radio BMW Professional Radio BMW Professional
S655A Satellitentuner Satellite tuner
S676A HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system
S694A Vorbereitung BMW 6 CD Wechsler Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
      10-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You think HU is causing the static to occur when I slow with the cruise?
Odd. It only happens when using AUX input mode so that's just strange to me that the popping/crackle only happens when using that input. Wouldn't it be everywhere if it was the radio's issue?

At this point, who knows. The issue of the strange noise could be related. If you could borrow a head unit it might help. It could be a bad capacitor or something inside the HU on the aux channel.

The other buzz thing only ever happened once. So it doesn't terribly concern me.
Yes but might be indicative of larger problem
I don't have USB. Just Aux and Cig lighter in the armrest.
As for audio related stuff VIN Decoder tells me:
Production date 10/16/2007
S645A BMW US Radio BMW US Radio
S663A Radio BMW Professional Radio BMW Professional
S655A Satellitentuner Satellite tuner
S676A HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system
S694A Vorbereitung BMW 6 CD Wechsler Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
If you find the HU at fault you could consider upgrading to add USB & BT
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #18
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you find the HU at fault you could consider upgrading to add USB & BT
I do have BT already. Just no USB.

I don't really want to spend gobs of cash upgrading. I'm in the car a total of 40 mins per day for my commute + any incidental travel around the bay area, which isn't a whole ton.

So ideally more troubleshooting would be the best if I can. I wouldn't even know where to "borrow" a radio from. Plus, don't they have to get re-coded to a given car if I were to get my hands on one to test with?
      10-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

I understand,

Also please understand that I am no longer 100% sure about your issue, but the two different behaviors (sustained noise & aux crackle) may indicate a problem with the HU.

You can hot swap a HU and most features will work. It may not have every option you are supposed to have but you could at least check the AUX. You have no buddies with E9x or E8x?

I would also just check that not only are the wires secure on the ground but also that the plate is secure to the car, and that there is nothing (paint) preventing a solid ground.

You could also have a problem with the harness behind the HU, the Aux Ground I believe is pin 36; but again this problem could also be inside the HU.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand,

Also please understand that I am no longer 100% sure about your issue, but the two different behaviors (sustained noise & aux crackle) may indicate a problem with the HU.

You can hot swap a HU and most features will work. It may not have every option you are supposed to have but you could at least check the AUX. You have no buddies with E9x or E8x?

I would also just check that not only are the wires secure on the ground but also that the plate is secure to the car, and that there is nothing (paint) preventing a solid ground.

You could also have a problem with the harness behind the HU, the Aux Ground I believe is pin 36; but again this problem could also be inside the HU.
Ok. Sincerely appreciate your time and help.

I don't really have anyone locally who I know well enough to ask to rip their radio out of their car so I can test, no. I'll post in the local forum and see if anyone is willing to help.

The AUX crackle is really all I'm worried about. It's been over a year and a half since I heard that sustained noise so ehh... but I hear what you're saying.