E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n55 6AT w/Alpina B3 trans flash



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #89
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
 
divisionbell77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio

Posts: 449
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
- I got all the software and i'm just waiting on the cable... and i'm wondering if something goes wrong, what is the procedure to flash back to stock? I can't seem to find it.
There is none. No one has come up with a revert to stock or deemed it needed, I have asked numerous times all over.

Unless I can revert to stock, this does not happen to my car while under warranty. Shame, it looks very promising.
divisionbell77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #90
torqnDC
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
There is none. No one has come up with a revert to stock or deemed it needed, I have asked numerous times all over.

Unless I can revert to stock, this does not happen to my car while under warranty. Shame, it looks very promising.
Before you begin, check the versions you're currently running and write it down. After you flash, if you need to revert back to stock, run through the same process just use your stock number in place of the alpina number. It's the same process, just a different software/firmware version (reverting it back to the one you used before you started).
torqnDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #91
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqnDC View Post
Before you begin, check the versions you're currently running and write it down. After you flash, if you need to revert back to stock, run through the same process just use your stock number in place of the alpina number. It's the same process, just a different software/firmware version (reverting it back to the one you used before you started).
ahh thank you very much!
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #92
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
yup, thats the stuff
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #93
335xiRT1
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: long island

Posts: 575
iTrader: (13)

Got the flash done.
No problems.
It's awsome.
__________________
JB4 G5 ISO, E85 BB FLASH, WALBRO 455, DP'S, AMS FMIC, AE EXHAUST, VRSF CHARGEPIPE, SYNAPSE BOV, DCi
335xiRT1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #94
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiRT1 View Post
Got the flash done.
No problems.
It's awsome.
need vids
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #95
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
 
madmanhiker's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
the more I drive with the B3 flash - the more I like it. even in manual mode, the shifts are so fast. this fixed one of the worst features I had with the car being fully modded. the only things left are LSD and a turbo swap and I'm in heaven.
__________________
-madmanhiker jax,fl
madmanhiker is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #96
torqnDC
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
the more I drive with the B3 flash - the more I like it. even in manual mode, the shifts are so fast. this fixed one of the worst features I had with the car being fully modded. the only things left are LSD and a turbo swap and I'm in heaven.
It makes the LSD even MORE fun that it already was. You'll love it
torqnDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #97
335xiRT1
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: long island

Posts: 575
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker
the more I drive with the B3 flash - the more I like it. even in manual mode, the shifts are so fast. this fixed one of the worst features I had with the car being fully modded. the only things left are LSD and a turbo swap and I'm in heaven.
+1
__________________
JB4 G5 ISO, E85 BB FLASH, WALBRO 455, DP'S, AMS FMIC, AE EXHAUST, VRSF CHARGEPIPE, SYNAPSE BOV, DCi
335xiRT1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #98
CombatNinja
Banned
 
CombatNinja's Avatar
 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (0)

Can anyone with this tune comment on how the transmission behaves while just driving sedately around town at light throttle? Does it behave even remotely like stock in 'D' or is it full-on aggressive all the time? Reason I ask is because if I leave my car in DS and drive sedately, the drivetrain is jerky and really annoying. Any feedback would br appreciated...
CombatNinja is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #99
emackin
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Va beach Va

Posts: 353
iTrader: (5)

I got mine yesterday and and d mode is much more smother and seem to get to d6 quicker, but not going faster.. (If that makes sense) but the shift points in d seem to be at lower rpms. D mode is takes some getting used to but ds and m are really fun
emackin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #100
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Can anyone with this tune comment on how the transmission behaves while just driving sedately around town at light throttle? Does it behave even remotely like stock in 'D' or is it full-on aggressive all the time? Reason I ask is because if I leave my car in DS and drive sedately, the drivetrain is jerky and really annoying. Any feedback would br appreciated...
from what i'm reading it sounds like in D mode your going to spend more time in higher gears faster... so it seems ultra granny like, so you should be fine....

In DS mode its ultra balls to the wall like ... so you should be fine
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #101
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 10,215
iTrader: (26)

Sorry for the duplicate post- just saw this. I was told by a fella who did some euro codes on my car about this. I have a DINAN stage 3 as it is.
Thinkin ill wait until I'm out of warranty to do this one. Does it really run 2700 clams?
This dude swears ill be within warranty spec (which I doubt) and that it would work to make my DINAN tune even better (which is hard to believe.)
Curious nonetheless!
So to be clear, this is just a trans flash?
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #102
xnfsx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 555
iTrader: (3)

how is this towards long term reliability of the car? wouldnt it stress the transmission and work it heavily?
xnfsx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #103
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 10,215
iTrader: (26)

This is what has me concerned. However Alpina, much like DINAN, works very closely to keep the car within spec I believe.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #104
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (2)

I think it wont really affect the car negatively, but like anything where you increase the performance will decrease the life at some rate. There's also no reason to think it will break it prematurely unless you get bad shifts all the time etc.
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #105
melloww22
Lieutenant
 
melloww22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

.
melloww22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #106
melloww22
Lieutenant
 
melloww22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
Sorry for the duplicate post- just saw this. I was told by a fella who did some euro codes on my car about this. I have a DINAN stage 3 as it is.
Thinkin ill wait until I'm out of warranty to do this one. Does it really run 2700 clams?
This dude swears ill be within warranty spec (which I doubt) and that it would work to make my DINAN tune even better (which is hard to believe.)
Curious nonetheless!
So to be clear, this is just a trans flash?
Yes it is a TCU flash and 2700 clams for cost is not accurate... It's free but the coders time may be 50-100 bucks
melloww22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #107
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 10,215
iTrader: (26)

Thanks mellow! I saw this and it had me wondering- guess not the same thing:
http://www.modernhorsepower.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BMW1MHPECUTCUBMW
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #108
xtrackdog
Private
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oregon

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
from what i'm reading it sounds like in D mode your going to spend more time in higher gears faster... so it seems ultra granny like, so you should be fine....

In DS mode its ultra balls to the wall like ... so you should be fine

Do you find the car shifting gears more frequently in D mode? Esp in stop and go traffic?

How are downshifts in D mode? Fast enough for overtaking and hilly terrain?

Have you noticed better gas mileage?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. There's been lots of technical info, but I'd like to read more seat of the pants reviews, from everyday normal driving impressions.

Thanks.
xtrackdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #109
torqnDC
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrackdog View Post
Do you find the car shifting gears more frequently in D mode? Esp in stop and go traffic?

How are downshifts in D mode? Fast enough for overtaking and hilly terrain?

Have you noticed better gas mileage?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. There's been lots of technical info, but I'd like to read more seat of the pants reviews, from everyday normal driving impressions.

Thanks.
Downshifts in D mode require you to give the car more gas than you're used to, but that's because D mode is a softer than it was previously. The car shifts more in stop and go traffic (since it shifts earlier in the rev range on average) but I've found it much more manageable as its smoother shifts and the car doesn't lurch forward from the torque.

Much better gas mileage when using this D mode around town, to the tune of 3+ mpg (but that might just be me). I call D mode "mpg mode" now since its so much softer and economical
torqnDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #110
335xiRT1
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: long island

Posts: 575
iTrader: (13)

D mode shifts more frequently but it's a lot smoother and deff better MPG
__________________
JB4 G5 ISO, E85 BB FLASH, WALBRO 455, DP'S, AMS FMIC, AE EXHAUST, VRSF CHARGEPIPE, SYNAPSE BOV, DCi
335xiRT1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST