E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > unstable ignition advance?

02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
gte636p

Drives: 328i

unstable ignition advance?

I've been having a bit of non-steady idle for a little bit and just dealt with it for as while, but jumped into things last weekend to see if I could find an issue.

I did throw a code: cam position too far retarded

In general maintenance I have replaced all plugs and coils last weekend. I read that the code could be due to vanos solenoids, so both have been replaced as well. The car runs much better, but not as smooth as it once did. Everything else is stock with 90k miles on the car.

Out of curisoity I was looking at data while idling in my driveway and noticed the ignition advance jumping from 4.5 degrees to -1 degrees and everywhere inbetween. Is this normal behavior or do I need to go in search of what is causing the fluctuation?