E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellows being too stiff?

08-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
taichi
Captain

Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to taichi
Koni Yellows being too stiff?

I read alot of posts about ppl switching from koni yellows to the FSD Kit because they say the koni yellows are too stiff even at the softest setting.
I'm on H&R sports and stock shocks and i want to mate it with the koni yellows, will it worsen the ride quality even further or should it improve reasonably? I'm looking more forward to the comfort side instead of handling but i do not have a whole lot to spend~ Thx for the input~
      08-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90 M3

I have H&R sports with Koni Yellows and I love them and I don't even have them set at the softest setting.
      08-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
dazzab
Enlisted Member

Drives: 330i E90

Taichi,

I have Koni sports on each corner as well as Koni sports springs which lower the car 25mm. The ride is on the stiff side even at the max soft setting, though I also run 18" wheels and a lower profile tyre 225/40 S-03's.

If you are running HR sport springs then you will probably find the Koni's to stiff for your liking even at max soft.

As you are looking for comfort over handling I would advise against the Koni yellows.

But if you can put up with a stiffer ride you'll love the improvement they make to the handling!
      08-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you wanted to be soft, you probably should've gone Koni FSD over Koni Yellow. The Koni Yellows on my last car were borderline harsh on the middle settings, so i'm not surprised you're finding it stiff.

Seriously, look into the FSds. A LOT of people on this board are running them.
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
TheAcAvenger is offline   United_States
      08-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
stressdoc

Drives: F80 YMB, 335 E90 ZSP+

Either fsds or yellows will make a big improvement in ride quality, given that you are now using springs that are too stiff for the OEM stock shocks. The fsds provide more give over tiny road bumps -- the initial compression is less harsh. That said I think that you would also find the yellows to be an improvement, if only because there would be more shock "absorption" and less bounce. Tires make a huge difference. If you are still on rfts, then I would strongly recommend switching to a high performance non-rft, in concert with the new shocks.
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
      08-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
ShinBalNom
Captain

Drives: AW 330i

My current setup with Eibach/FSD feels stock. Most ppl don't realize my car is lowered until I hit a big dip/bump.

Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly...

BBS CK 19" / Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni FSD / Blacklines / M-tech
ShinBalNom is offline   United_States
      08-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

If youre even slightly concerned about the ride, go with FSDs, the yellows are stiff as a brick.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot you were on H&Rs. You cant do FSD with H&R sports.
      08-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
shragon

Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan

i had koni yellows on my last bmw and didn't think it was stiff at all on the lowest setting. it was actually too soft for me and i would run them one turn from soft.

i rode in hrc's e90 with h&r sport and koni yellow and felt it rode real nice.

then again what one finds as "stiff" is all subjective. you're best option, if at all possible, is to find somebody in the area with the set up you're considering and make your decision from there.