E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Driving around town in DTC

03-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

Driving around town in DTC

I was wondering about others xi owners opinion about driving in town with DTC turned on. I am talking about dry days where traction isn't an issue.

Maybe its a placebo effect, but I feel with DSC, turning from a stop I get the feeling the power is being limited and brakes are being applied to move torque around. Especially if the turn is tight. Its just a herky jerky feeling, kinda like bad clutching. I don't really get the same feeling when I turn DTC on.

Wanted other XI's opinion, probably a different sensation for the rwd.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
I was wondering about others xi owners opinion about driving in town with DTC turned on. I am talking about dry days where traction isn't an issue.

Maybe its a placebo effect, but I feel with DSC, turning from a stop I get the feeling the power is being limited and brakes are being applied to move torque around. Especially if the turn is tight. Its just a herky jerky feeling, kinda like bad clutching. I don't really get the same feeling when I turn DTC on.

Wanted other XI's opinion, probably a different sensation for the rwd.
If I'm just out driving around leisurely I usually just leave the dsc on I don't really notice it, but if I'm going to drive it hard then I turn dsc completely off.

2013 x3 35i fully loaded with M package
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
If I'm just out driving around leisurely I usually just leave the dsc on I don't really notice it, but if I'm going to drive it hard then I turn dsc completely off.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
KennyD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335iX Sedan, Barbera Red

I agree it feels like something is limited when applying throttle and its not as clean and responsive as when I hit the DTC button. I've been looking for insight into what this is / how it works. I prefer the feeling of acceleration more with DTC but you lose certain options like cruise control. I own a 2009 335i xDrive Sedan with sport package.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

When the weather is nice I disable DSC completely, but I have yet to experiment in wet conditions. I know on dry pavement I hate having the computer cut the throttle when the tires slip (intentionally or otherwise). I'm curious to see how the xdrive would handle rain with either DTC on or DSC off.

Side Note: My driveway is a severe upwards slope that is impossible to get up with snow or ice unless I turn on DTC and start from the bottom in second gear. I forgot one time and made it about 3/4 of the way up before the computer decided to cut the throttle on me and let me the car slow itself down to a complete stop
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

I drive with DTC on always. With my mods if I leave DSC on and floor it in first gear and sometimes second the car cuts acceleration for a few seconds which I hate. Even in the rain I do DTC since it doesn't allow too much slip and if it does I can manage. If i'm trying to slide intentionally i'll turn everything off and the xdrive handles it pretty well. Very easy to correct a slide with the awd
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

Glad to hear that I'm not imaging things. Personally having driven many rear wheel drive cars with lots of torque, a little wheel spin is something I can handle.

Yes, its a safety function and I am considerate of other drivers when I'm getting on it so no need to go there.

Looks like on the JB4 that I can enable DTC on startup and that is great during the non winter months, 5-5 is the function. thanks, burger motorsports.

Edit: found out from BMS that function 5/5 does not work on our XI models, shame.

Last edited by critical05; 03-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like DTC is sufficient to counteract the computer cutting throttle. I've been running with everything shut off just in case, but I guess that's overkill for right now.

Just pulled the Stang out of winter storage, so I guess that'll be my outlet for letting the rear end kick out.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
DGMxi
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I only have a 325xi so I'm probably never putting down enough power to make the wheels slip but it's interesting to hear that the 335xi has these traction issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's not really a traction issue, so much as an overly efficient traction control system. Whenever the wheels spin the system is going to cut the throttle to help regain traction. As a result, your instincts tell you to press the Go Pedal more, which will cause jerky acceleration as the traction control tries to intervene.

I sometimes find it is more a problem related to the road itself as opposed to the car's performance. For example, I have an intersection near me with an unfortunate hump in the middle of the road. If you're sitting at the redlight, any acceleration will cause the tires to slip over the uneven terrain. Without computer intervention, the car will accelerate without any hesitation through this section.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've always wondered.. how the DTC was calibrated, and if it will sense/re-calibrate for stickier tires, and if so, if there are limiting parameters. (for example, will compensate for anything, up to but excluding r-comps).

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300

I always try with DTC on, until an evo/sti/v8muscle rolled up next to me lol.
Appreciate 0