E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Quarter Mile Times



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
335_MI6
Colonel
335_MI6's Avatar
31
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DC/MIAMI/LONDON

iTrader: (2)

Quarter Mile Times

Well i was thinking that on the n54 section they have one. I wanted to see what us XI guys can bring to the table.

1) Model and Transmission
2) Elevation, Temp and Humidity
3) All performance modifications done to the car
4) Level of gas ran and how much gas in the tank? (ex: 93 octane and 1/4 of a tank)
5) Any weight reduction done to the car?? (ex: removal of rear seats)
4) Type of tires and rims?? (size and weight if possible)
5) Years of driving the type of transmission?? (this goes for mainly manual transmission, so if you are relatively new and are an "ok" driver let us know, this def makes a difference)
6) Obviously some type of proof of your 0-60 time, trap speed and finally quarter mile time. Preferably some video or slip or link to the drag time slip website to your direct slip.
(Copied from N54 section)

Legal tracks only!!!!!
__________________

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
dk79
Private
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

iTrader: (0)

09 335i xdrive coupe 1/4 mile.

mods: stage, hpf fmic, vrs dps, bms dci, lux angel eyes, nokya yellow fogs.
cobb stage 2 + fmic agressive map. 93 octane pump gas, 3/4 full tank.
f10 m5 replica wheels staggered, 18 x 8 , 18 x 9, running contis dws 225 and 255.
wheels weigh 25 lbs front and 26 lbs rears.
50 lbs weight in the trunk.

got 0 to 60 in 3.8, 1/4 mile in 12.1 at 114.5.
0 to 60 ft 1.7,
0 to 100 in 9.35.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
turbolover
Private
United_States
4
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335XI 6 Speed Manual
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

damn thats fast
__________________
2008 335xi 2 door 6 speed manual!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
335_MI6
Colonel
335_MI6's Avatar
31
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DC/MIAMI/LONDON

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk79 View Post
mods: stage, hpf fmic, vrs dps, bms dci, lux angel eyes, nokya yellow fogs.
cobb stage 2 + fmic agressive map. 93 octane pump gas, 3/4 full tank.
f10 m5 replica wheels staggered, 18 x 8 , 18 x 9, running contis dws 225 and 255.
wheels weigh 25 lbs front and 26 lbs rears.
50 lbs weight in the trunk.

got 0 to 60 in 3.8, 1/4 mile in 12.1 at 114.5.
0 to 60 ft 1.7,
0 to 100 in 9.35.
Are you auto or 6mt? That's really fast for all that extra weight
__________________

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
dk79
Private
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_MI6 View Post
Are you auto or 6mt? That's really fast for all that extra weight
6 speed auto.
I will be trying the cobb e30 maps soon. will likely drop the 1/4 mile by 0.2 to 0.3 secs and then will be in high 11s, like 11.8.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
rongomer
boom
rongomer's Avatar
6
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

iTrader: (6)

114mph traps is about where a 335xi 6AT should be for 360-370whp.

dk79, get out to a track so we can see what the real numbers are, those gtimers aren't very accurate for the 1/4 ET or traps but they are pretty decent for 0-60 and 60 ft times.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
dk79
Private
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
114mph traps is about where a 335xi 6AT should be for 360-370whp.

dk79, get out to a track so we can see what the real numbers are, those gtimers aren't very accurate for the 1/4 ET or traps but they are pretty decent for 0-60 and 60 ft times.
check out my post in the 0 to 60 time in awd section page 5. I posted a link to real time testing of various devices and g timer is pretty accurate. it was actually 0.1-0.2 sec slower in the 1/4 mile. so the actual numbers will be 12 or below to 1/4 mile.
I will definitely take my car to the drag strip once it opens in april or may.

also the traps are 114.5mph due to very aggressive launch of awd cars. if i wud launch in 2nd gear then my 1/4 will suffer by .1-.2 sec but will gain more mph maybe 116-117.

I had a rwd 335i coupe before this one and with exactly same mods and cobb map I could not do better than 12.5 at 115, also my best 0 to 60 had been 4.1.

awd cars are amazing coz u get the same results everytime.
that's why gtr, rs4, rs6, s6, s7, s8 and now the new e63 amg are awd.

Last edited by dk79; 03-17-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
rongomer
boom
rongomer's Avatar
6
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk79 View Post
check out my post in the 0 to 60 time in awd section page 5. I posted a link to real time testing of various devices and g timer is pretty accurate. it was actually 0.1-0.2 sec slower in the 1/4 mile. so the actual numbers will be 12 or below to 1/4 mile.
I will definitely take my car to the drag strip once it opens in april or may.

also the traps are 114.5mph due to very aggressive launch of awd cars. if i wud launch in 2nd gear then my 1/4 will suffer by .1-.2 sec but will gain more mph maybe 116-117.

I had a rwd 335i coupe before this one and with exactly same mods and cobb map I could not do better than 12.5 at 115, also my best 0 to 60 had been 4.1.

awd cars are amazing coz u get the same results everytime.
that's why gtr, rs4, rs6, s6, s7, s8 and now the new e63 amg are awd.
I had a g-timer, I compared it myself at the track and with the vbox, the point of that article is that they are not accurate not that they are always going to read slower. My g-timer was low, others on this site were high. They are great for tuning and testing your car against itself because they can be somewhat consistent, but not so much against other cars.

Launching in 2nd gear is not a sure bet at higher traps, I tested this thoroughly one night with over 50 runs (half of which were in 2nd gear, half in 1st) I can tell you that the traps were very close to each other. Unless you're spinning like crazy the traps should be almost the same, with the 2nd gear launch coming in .1 to .15 lower ET even with the worse 60' time. This is because the shift is ~.3s and generally 1st gear launches have .1 to .15 lower 60' time. I would HIGHLY recommend you don't launch in 2nd though, it will burn up your 2nd gear clutch packs in no time. I was the first one to do the 2nd gear launch on the XI and even at 370whp it was too much for the trans. With the Alpina trans flash, there should be no advantage to a 2nd gear launch any longer.

AWD is great, but 335xi AWD is nothing compared to GTR or the Audi system. We've got a shit-ton of weight and drag on our setup because it wasn't designed for road racing OR drag racing. X-Drive from BMW was not meant for performance, it was meant to sell cars to people that want traction in the snow

115mph traps is good for a high 11, take the rear seat and passenger seat out if you go to the strip, it's worth .1 to .15 or so (also keep fuel under 1/4 tank). 11.8 you will need to get 116-117mph traps and a < 1.6x 60' time.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
dk79
Private
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
I had a g-timer, I compared it myself at the track and with the vbox, the point of that article is that they are not accurate not that they are always going to read slower. My g-timer was low, others on this site were high. They are great for tuning and testing your car against itself because they can be somewhat consistent, but not so much against other cars.

Launching in 2nd gear is not a sure bet at higher traps, I tested this thoroughly one night with over 50 runs (half of which were in 2nd gear, half in 1st) I can tell you that the traps were very close to each other. Unless you're spinning like crazy the traps should be almost the same, with the 2nd gear launch coming in .1 to .15 lower ET even with the worse 60' time. This is because the shift is ~.3s and generally 1st gear launches have .1 to .15 lower 60' time. I would HIGHLY recommend you don't launch in 2nd though, it will burn up your 2nd gear clutch packs in no time. I was the first one to do the 2nd gear launch on the XI and even at 370whp it was too much for the trans. With the Alpina trans flash, there should be no advantage to a 2nd gear launch any longer.

AWD is great, but 335xi AWD is nothing compared to GTR or the Audi system. We've got a shit-ton of weight and drag on our setup because it wasn't designed for road racing OR drag racing. X-Drive from BMW was not meant for performance, it was meant to sell cars to people that want traction in the snow

115mph traps is good for a high 11, take the rear seat and passenger seat out if you go to the strip, it's worth .1 to .15 or so (also keep fuel under 1/4 tank). 11.8 you will need to get 116-117mph traps and a < 1.6x 60' time.

thanks.
I will be trying the cobb e30 maps soon. hope that will give atleast 30-40 more awhp

I think bmw awd system is pretty solid as compared to audis. my friend had lots problems with his awd car. plus audis now have torque vectoring that causes a lot of understeer. I never heard of any awd system failing in an xdrive car or suv. also I have not seen any other car with this much tuning potential as the n54 platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
giaolong's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (2)

1) Model and Transmission: 335xi E92 with Auto
2) Elevation, Temp and Humidity: 90F (No idea on the Elevation but the humidity was very high, cant remember the exact)
3) All performance modifications done to the car : JB4 + Intake
4) Level of gas ran and how much gas in the tank? (ex: 93 octane and 1/4 of a tank) : Full Tank 50/50 e85/93 regular
5) Any weight reduction done to the car?? Full weight
4) Type of tires and rims?? 19x8.5/9.5 225/255 Toyo T1 Sport
5) Years of driving the type of transmission?? Its Auto so....but it is my very first time at a drag strip.
6) Obviously some type of proof of your 0-60 time, trap speed and finally quarter mile time. Preferably some video or slip or link to the drag time slip website to your direct slip.
(Copied from N54 section)


This year i got some better wheels/tires, installed a new FMIC with a more aggressive Map 5 JB4 and Alpina Flash Tranny so i should do alot better once i get a chance.
__________________
09 BMW 335xi e92
-KW-M6 Wheels-Toyo-Mtech-RSD-
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk79 View Post
mods: stage, hpf fmic, vrs dps, bms dci, lux angel eyes, nokya yellow fogs.
cobb stage 2 + fmic agressive map. 93 octane pump gas, 3/4 full tank.
f10 m5 replica wheels staggered, 18 x 8 , 18 x 9, running contis dws 225 and 255.
wheels weigh 25 lbs front and 26 lbs rears.
50 lbs weight in the trunk.

got 0 to 60 in 3.8, 1/4 mile in 12.1 at 114.5.
0 to 60 ft 1.7,
0 to 100 in 9.35.
Where did you find 93 octane in Sioux Falls?
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
dk79
Private
United_States
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
Where did you find 93 octane in Sioux Falls?
there is no 93 octane in sioux falls
there is 91 octane bp gas and 92 octane shell 10% ethanol added gas.
i have been using e85 blend.
10 gallons of bp 91 octane gas and 2 gallons of e85, yields 93.2 octane and 14% ethanol content.
datalogged my car and saw no timing corrections. confirmed with cobb tuning and they said that it is fine using it this way.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
LQQKOUT
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 335XI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (4)

08 335XI sedan
12.0@116 track time, not G-tech
DCI, JB4, DP, meth & 30% E-85 70% 91 octane mix.
No weight reduction.
1.68 60ft times all day long.

Last edited by LQQKOUT; 07-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
08 335XI sedan
12.2@114 track time, not G-tech
DCI, JB4, DP, meth & 30% E-85 70% 91 octane mix.
No weight reduction.
1.7 60ft times all day long.
What's your track procedure? As in, what do you boost to on the line? Padddle shift or let the automatic do it's thing?

I need some details, as I'm running mine soon.
__________________
Blake

2008 BMW E90 335xi N54 Twin Turbo

Too many mods to fit in the signature.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
LQQKOUT
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 335XI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (4)

I start in M1 and bring the RPM to about 2K, than let it rip. I let the transmission do the shifting. I tried before to use the paddles and it didn't make a difference.
I race the car the way I drive it on the street, don't take anything out just because I am going to the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
I start in M1 and bring the RPM to about 2K, than let it rip. I let the transmission do the shifting. I tried before to use the paddles and it didn't make a difference.
I race the car the way I drive it on the street, don't take anything out just because I am going to the track.
Why start in M1? Isn't already in M1 at the line, without touching the paddles?
__________________
Blake

2008 BMW E90 335xi N54 Twin Turbo

Too many mods to fit in the signature.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
rongomer
boom
rongomer's Avatar
6
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Why start in M1? Isn't already in M1 at the line, without touching the paddles?
In DS mode you're usually in 2nd gear, you can still run this way just be warned if you push hard and hit the kick-down it makes for a stuffed run.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
In DS mode you're usually in 2nd gear, you can still run this way just be warned if you push hard and hit the kick-down it makes for a stuffed run.
Can you elaborate? What do you mean "if you push hard and hit the kick-down it makes for a stuffed run?"

I'm probably going to try what the fella did above first (DS mode, boost in M1, let it shift on it's own), and then try your method.
__________________
Blake

2008 BMW E90 335xi N54 Twin Turbo

Too many mods to fit in the signature.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
nailer335
Captain
nailer335's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
690
Posts

 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
In DS mode you're usually in 2nd gear, you can still run this way just be warned if you push hard and hit the kick-down it makes for a stuffed run.
Can you elaborate? What do you mean "if you push hard and hit the kick-down it makes for a stuffed run?"

I'm probably going to try what the fella did above first (DS mode, boost in M1, let it shift on it's own), and then try your method.
Compare letting the car shift on its own and shifting at 6000rpm manually- I think you'll notice an improvement in the time. Last time at the track I'd hold 20+ psi for a while at the beginning of 3rd and 4th gear. Better that the car is spending time during the 1/4 there than at 11psi winding it up to 7000rpm. IMO. And also consistent with personal results.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
diamondbimmer92
Lieutenant
diamondbimmer92's Avatar
6
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I love my XI

1) e90/auto
2) Elevation: 135ft above sea level, Temp: 47F, Humidity: 41 (Captiol Raceway- Crofton, MD)
3) At the time I had: JB4, DCI, Dinan Exhaust
4) 1/4 tank- all Sunoco 100 oct.
5) No weight reduction
4) Tires: Nexen N3000- 235/35/19 F, 265/30/19 R and rims: Avant Garde m310 19x8.5/19x9.5- Dont know weight, but probably pretty heavy..
5) Its an auto...
6) 12.49 @ 111.5mph, 60': 1.811---Proof: click on my link below my sig- my timeslip from DragTimes

Since this run- I have added ETS 5" fmic, AR design dps, ER Cp with Tial bov, and changed my setup to 19x8.5 all the way around with 235/25/19, so I'm hoping with a good reaction time and my car runnning strong I'll be able to get into the 11's this spring/summer without running meth.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbimmer92 View Post
I love my XI

1) e90/auto
2) Elevation: 135ft above sea level, Temp: 47F, Humidity: 41 (Captiol Raceway- Crofton, MD)
3) At the time I had: JB4, DCI, Dinan Exhaust
4) 1/4 tank- all Sunoco 100 oct.
5) No weight reduction
4) Tires: Nexen N3000- 235/35/19 F, 265/30/19 R and rims: Avant Garde m310 19x8.5/19x9.5- Dont know weight, but probably pretty heavy..
5) Its an auto...
6) 12.49 @ 111.5mph, 60': 1.811---Proof: click on my link below my sig- my timeslip from DragTimes

Since this run- I have added ETS 5" fmic, AR design dps, ER Cp with Tial bov, and changed my setup to 19x8.5 all the way around with 235/25/19, so I'm hoping with a good reaction time and my car runnning strong I'll be able to get into the 11's this spring/summer without running meth.
Reaction time does not affect your 1/4 mile time whatsoever.
__________________
Blake

2008 BMW E90 335xi N54 Twin Turbo

Too many mods to fit in the signature.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #22
nailer335
Captain
nailer335's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
690
Posts

 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbimmer92
I love my XI

1) e90/auto
2) Elevation: 135ft above sea level, Temp: 47F, Humidity: 41 (Captiol Raceway- Crofton, MD)
3) At the time I had: JB4, DCI, Dinan Exhaust
4) 1/4 tank- all Sunoco 100 oct.
5) No weight reduction
4) Tires: Nexen N3000- 235/35/19 F, 265/30/19 R and rims: Avant Garde m310 19x8.5/19x9.5- Dont know weight, but probably pretty heavy..
5) Its an auto...
6) 12.49 @ 111.5mph, 60': 1.811---Proof: click on my link below my sig- my timeslip from DragTimes

Since this run- I have added ETS 5" fmic, AR design dps, ER Cp with Tial bov, and changed my setup to 19x8.5 all the way around with 235/25/19, so I'm hoping with a good reaction time and my car runnning strong I'll be able to get into the 11's this spring/summer without running meth.
Congrats on a nice lineup of mods

Just for the record though- your car will be much happier with you graphically speaking if you allow it to enjoy meth. I could feel how much it appreciated it the nanosecond it hit.

I also used 3 nozzles. But I have logs floating around that show how much fun I had...

In reality, your additional mods are worth .2 sec (pretty optimistic) and each two tenths come harder than the last... I think it would be privy, if the 11s thing is serious, to do a Walbro/flash/E85 combo to supplement a JB4 G5 or- simply add meth. If you don't want to mess with it, don't- just pay someone to do it for you (Ideally you help since you want to know what you're doing to your car IMO). It isn't high maintenance and you don't have to use it unless you want to.

I really don't understand why people who take their car to the drag strip don't do meth. Cheap, easy, ambient IATs, improved fueling, makes the turbos the next constraint instead of octane, etc And since you're FBO you'd really benefit from it.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST