E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blew My Motor Tonight

03-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #67
iDriveSlo
Captain

Drives: 335i Coupe M-Sport Lemans blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootfirst83 View Post
The dealership told me that the Service Manager talked to BMW NA and they told him that they won't help out with the replacement. I emailed BMW NA and explained that all I really want is for the someone to tell me what went wrong and not have to pay 2 grand to find out. I just got off the phone with BMW NA and they said that they will not help out with the diagnoses, but if it does turn out to be a manufacturing defect, they may help out. I don't think that's enough for me to spend $2k.

I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow and talk to the Service Manager and see if I can get them to do anything. The way I see it, I buy a new car every couple of years so it would be in their best interest to work with me somehow. I don't think that's very unreasonable.

Any advice on dealing with BMW NA would be greatly appreciated.

Lawyer up
      03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #68
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member

Drives: Blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveSlo View Post
Lawyer up
I don't really know if I have a leg to stand on. The motor is out of warranty and I'm pretty sure that would stand up. I think the only threat to BMW would be limited negative publicity and Mercedes getting my business. I'm starting to feel like I'm screwed.
      03-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #69
iDriveSlo
Captain

Drives: 335i Coupe M-Sport Lemans blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootfirst83 View Post
I don't really know if I have a leg to stand on. The motor is out of warranty and I'm pretty sure that would stand up. I think the only threat to BMW would be limited negative publicity and Mercedes getting my business. I'm starting to feel like I'm screwed.
Then start making waves in local media, they like stories like this, and BMW will hate it.
      03-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #70
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class

Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

If BMW NA isn't going to help, then tow it to the road infront of the dealer, buy a big big ballon, paint it yellow, make it look like a lemon. Then make a sign letting all the would be customers know how many miles your car has on it and how much help BMW is being to you..

Guarantee that dealership would loose about 5K a day in sales. If NA doesn't stand up, the dealer would be obligated. THats what I would do. Not sure what town your in, but that may make the local paper and radio too.

Mark

It makes me mad just thinking about it. Sorry dude...
      03-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #71
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member

Those are both great ideas.

I'll see how everything goes when I talk to the service manager and then act accordingly. I'll keep everyone posted.
      03-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #72
David1
Colonel

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Find a used motor get it installed and move on. Mentioning future sales to the dealer won't mean much.
      03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #73
Cripple
Captain

Drives: 14' M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Find a used motor get it installed and move on. Mentioning future sales to the dealer won't mean much.
Mentioning future sales to BMW NA is what hits home. I've been a SA for 5 years, and whenever anyone reports to HQ shit goes down.

They understand the logic, one unhappy customer will detour six potential buyers (by statistics).

Sure, millions of cars sold - but when it becomes one in every 5 people who are completely unsatisfied with the company as a whole you will see car sales hit the floor.
      03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #74
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
the pop does sound scary but it should sound like a crazy subaru
haha my friend has a video of him blowing an IC pipe off during a pull in his actual crazy subaru. Sounded like a crazy evo

If you put a hole through the side of your block you would have probably found metal on the ground... or if you're eastern european, you'll find a connecting rod.
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

MikeR1994 is offline   United_States
      03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #75
Cripple
Captain

Drives: 14' M235I

I would love to know where you are at with this.
      03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #76
newBMWownr
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
I would love to know where you are at with this.
+1

The smoking gun is the rod. 2K seems like a lot to drop the oil pan and pull the remains of the bottom half of the rod and do an evaluation. Seems like that number (+/- half way to an engine install at the dealership) is being used to coerce you into just giving up on your claim.

You do have a leg to stand on if it's determined that the rod was improperly cast or suffered from fatigue cracking.
      05-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #77
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of the country.

The shop said that the failure was due to a bent rod. The only thing that could have caused it was a puddle I went through back in August so my insurance ended up covering the engine replacement. All in all, it worked out and I couldn't be happier. The fact that I drove my car with a bent rod for 7 months is a testament to the strength of the N54. That fact alone has me rethinking my "no mods" policy on this car.
      05-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #78
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Awesome !
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      05-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #79
JJFESQ
Big Poppa

Drives: F10 535xi

Garage List
2014 535xi  [0.00]
Glad it worked out.
      05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #80
1nityrider
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi

I guess the moral of this story is if you're driving a car and hit anything on the road ie pot hole etc etc get a police report. It can always save you later. I remember when I did an engine swap on my 3000GT because I soon a bearing and told my insurance agent, he asked did anything on the road caused that to happen? I said no, he said if that was the case, my insurance would have covered it. At OP, glad everything worked out good for you.
1nityrider is offline   United_States
      05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #81
creaminz
Major General

Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMs335Msport View Post
If BMW NA isn't going to help, then tow it to the road infront of the dealer, buy a big big ballon, paint it yellow, make it look like a lemon. Then make a sign letting all the would be customers know how many miles your car has on it and how much help BMW is being to you..

Guarantee that dealership would loose about 5K a day in sales. If NA doesn't stand up, the dealer would be obligated. THats what I would do. Not sure what town your in, but that may make the local paper and radio too.

Mark

It makes me mad just thinking about it. Sorry dude...
Brilliant!
creaminz is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #82
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
VNeBLOB42 is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #83
stressdoc

Drives: F80 YMB, 335 E90 ZSP+

Wow.
If the tech heads could explain how a puddle can bend a rod that would be useful.
Thanks!
Glad everything worked out OP, nice insurance co.!
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
      05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #84
CBR335
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Wow.
If the tech heads could explain how a puddle can bend a rod that would be useful.
Thanks!
Glad everything worked out OP, nice insurance co.!
Hydro lock in that cylinder due to getting water in the intake when crossing a very deep "puddle"/lake. It has happened a couple of times to others on the forums.
      05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #85
WilliamS
GoofBall

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

water is nasty to a motor. The hydraulic forces will surprise you. Here in Florida we had some heavy rains which lead to a lot of flooded streets. The local BMW dealership took in 114 cars during that week for hydro locked engines. My dealership I work at, took in 0. Regardless water plus engine equals a lot of bad things for pistons and rods.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #86
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class

Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR335 View Post
Hydro lock in that cylinder due to getting water in the intake when crossing a very deep "puddle"/lake. It has happened a couple of times to others on the forums.
I was wondering the same! THanks for the info. Also glad it worked out for the OP.

Good Good...
      05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #87
ErvGotti
Major

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Glad everything worked out for you OP, but that must have been one hell of a puddle. I've seen a hydorlocked NA motor before but the path to the motor is short. It happened to my friends Cobalt whose CAI was routed to the bumper.

With an NA it's filter, pipe, manifold, motor then boom and it doesn't take much. With the N54 the water has to pass the intake and filter, turbos, intercooler, and up the charge pipe before even hitting the motor.

You'd think with that amount of water that the turbo's would fail first seeing as it has to go by it first or actually if the motor was at operating temp that the turbo would evaporate the water before even making it's way to the motor.
      05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #88
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot

Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I think we can agree that this is a fluke failure. I've never seen an N54 fail in this manner, and I see a lot of them. The only time I've seen a newer BMW engine punch a hole in the block was on an N52 that took in water and bent a rod. Even then, it ran for quite a while before the block failed. Pretty amazing, actually.

Looks like I was right, huh?