E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Crankshaft Position Sensor



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hi Guys,

So my first major problem with my 08 E92 328xi.

The other day when I was on the highway going about 60mph, the car just kind of stumbled and the check engine light came on. And yesterday when I was at the red light, the car just stopped. When I tried to start it again, it struggled a little bit then turned back on.

I took it to my mechanic and he said it is the "Crankshaft Position Sensor". I searched here but nothing came on regarding that sensor.

My question is,

Does that make sense?
How much should it cost to have it changed?

He gave me a price for $400 with parts and labor. He said it will take 2 days to replace this.

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.
BJK1903 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
index1489
Colonel
 
index1489's Avatar
 
Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

Posts: 2,037
iTrader: (7)

I think the sensor is about 100 bucks, you get to it from under the car, 300 in labor sounds steep, should take no longer then 1 hour.
__________________
Gotta pay to play.
index1489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
elinstylez
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i e92 xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 170
iTrader: (2)

I recently had the same thing happen with my dad's 00 e320. The part online costs less than $50, and according to other forum members about 20 minutes worth of time (for that car). Yet, the mechanic charged me $400 including part and $110 diagnostic fee, which is a ripoff but I didn't want to pay $200 to tow it home.

Try searching for a DIY if you want to do a project...
elinstylez is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
nate5ks
Captain
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

Posts: 609
iTrader: (0)

I paid around $400 to have this done, it looked like a real PITA. Indy says the xfer case gets in the way on the x-drive variants and you have to tear a bunch of stuff out like the intake manifold.
nate5ks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
index1489
Colonel
 
index1489's Avatar
 
Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

Posts: 2,037
iTrader: (7)

You get to it from the bottom all you have to remove is the engine plastic underbody cover, its a nearly blind install its a connector and a sensor with a O ring that goes into a hole on the block.

You just feel around, remove the bolt on the sensor pull the sensor out, disconnect the electrical connector, lubricate the new oring with engine oil, pop it in, put the bolt and tighten.

The sensor also is not 50 bucks, its closer to 100 its the same price as the VANOS camshaft position sensors which I replaced, very similar design. This is assuming you are getting the sensor for MSRP, the dealer or indy might mark up the price on top of that, in such case it is recommend to order the part online @ bmwpartspros.com or getbmwparts.com



I don't know about the x-drive stuff, then again I think BMW's are too complicated to begin with all wheel drive is just crazy, in such case removing the manifold means the mechanic tried to get to it from the top, much bigger job, especially on a E90 330/325i because of the external oil separator, 335i/328i don't have this much easier.
__________________
Gotta pay to play.

Last edited by index1489; 03-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.
index1489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

Thank you everyone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
I paid around $400 to have this done, it looked like a real PITA. Indy says the xfer case gets in the way on the x-drive variants and you have to tear a bunch of stuff out like the intake manifold.
That is exactly what he said he is going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You get to it from the bottom all you have to remove is the engine plastic underbody cover, its a nearly blind install its a connector and a sensor with a O ring that goes into a hole on the block.

You just feel around, remove the bolt on the sensor pull the sensor out, disconnect the electrical connector, lubricate the new oring with engine oil, pop it in, put the bolt and tighten.

The sensor also is not 50 bucks, its closer to 100 its the same price as the VANOS camshaft position sensors which I replaced, very similar design. This is assuming you are getting the sensor for MSRP, the dealer or indy might mark up the price on top of that, in such case it is recommend to order the part online @ bmwpartspros.com or getbmwparts.com



I don't know about the x-drive stuff, then again I think BMW's are too complicated to begin with all wheel drive is just crazy, in such case removing the manifold means the mechanic tried to get to it from the top, much bigger job, especially on a E90 330/325i because of the external oil separator, 335i/328i don't have this much easier.
I checked around and only was able to find the part for $107. Which my mechanic quoted that for $120. So I'll let him order the part since with the shipping it will cost the same.

The way you write it sounds very simple. Even my mechanic had to search online to find out how to replace that part. Maybe I should just take it to a dealer for this one?
BJK1903 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
400hporbust
beantown256
 
400hporbust's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Anybody doing it DO NOT try and go from the bottom. At least not on a 335xi e92. You literally can't see anything from down there. I used my friend's lift and tried, and couldn't see jack. Then I went at it from the top and it took way under an hour. Just pull the cabin air filter cowl off, then the intake, and it's right there. It's at an awkward angle, but nothing terribly hard.
400hporbust is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown256 View Post
Anybody doing it DO NOT try and go from the bottom. At least not on a 335xi e92. You literally can't see anything from down there. I used my friend's lift and tried, and couldn't see jack. Then I went at it from the top and it took way under an hour. Just pull the cabin air filter cowl off, then the intake, and it's right there. It's at an awkward angle, but nothing terribly hard.
My friend helped me change this and he changed the exact same way. Hope this helps folks in the future. My mechanic wanted $400 for this.
BJK1903 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
bigJoeSea
Registered
 
bigJoeSea's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle/Virginia

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Is this sensor on the front or back of the engine?
bigJoeSea is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
bhmax16
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 328xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mass

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Hopefully his diagnosis is correct. The eccentric shaft sensor (which you have to remove the valvecover to get to and is a common issue on these vehicles) can cause these same issues and the part alone is approx. $400. Do you know what code(s) he pulled?
bhmax16 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Hopefully his diagnosis is correct. The eccentric shaft sensor (which you have to remove the valvecover to get to and is a common issue on these vehicles) can cause these same issues and the part alone is approx. $400. Do you know what code(s) he pulled?
I honestly don't remember the code. But it did fix the issue and no problems since then.
BJK1903 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
 
JaysBlueE92's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow..
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,973
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
$300-$400, including sensor, for this on xi isn't that bad of a deal honestly
__________________
JaysBlueE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
slimmie
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 JB e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Koreatown

Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Hopefully his diagnosis is correct. The eccentric shaft sensor (which you have to remove the valvecover to get to and is a common issue on these vehicles) can cause these same issues and the part alone is approx. $400. Do you know what code(s) he pulled?
Just got this last night and did some searching. The code is PO335
slimmie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST