E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Will Eibach Pro lowering springs ruin my BMW PS1 dampers?

03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Will Eibach Pro lowering springs ruin my BMW PS1 dampers?

Hi,
I've read about possible complications to dampers if lowering springs are not matched properly, though most of the posts I've seen deal with spring rates.

I've heard that Eibach Pro springs are well matched to BMW PS1 dampers in terms of spring rate (do you agree...but, will the shorter spring cause my dampers to wear out more quickly?

I'd like to lower but would rather hold off if it means significant degradation to my dampers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.
      03-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash

Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
It is my understanding that dampers are matched size-wise with the springs they are installed with. And, if you shorten the springs (so as to lower your car for example) and retain the same dampers, one of the results is earlier degradation of the dampers. I don't know what it does to the compression/rebound characteristics of the damper. Hence Bilstein for example will match their replacement dampers to which suspension you have. You'll note the damper lengths are different.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
335dFan is offline   United_States