E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cause of low power on E90 at low RPMs?

03-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Ruhnie
Private

Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 6MT

Cause of low power on E90 at low RPMs?

Hoping to find someone that has heard of or seen this problem before. I have a 2007 335i with 65k miles on it. Sometime over the last year (I think, could be longer) I started noticing this weird stutter/fluctuation in power at RPMs < 2k. Once it really started to bother me, I paid more attention to it and can reliably repeat a "lurch" in power right at 2500 RPMs.

So I was looking for answers and ran into the myriad of threads about cleaning the intake valves. I had mine walnut blasted 2 days ago in hopes that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately it did not (although the responsiveness overall is much better now). The shop actually mentioned to me that during the test drive they noticed the car seemed a little "soft" at low RPMs. They did some checks and could not identify any obvious leaks or visible issues that would case it. They are recommending a smoke test of some lines and/or replacing the vaccum lines. They also mentioned it could be related to the version of software the dealership put on the car back in May of 2011. I will probably just take it back to them and start going through these troubleshooting steps, but am hoping someone around here has a more definitive idea. Any input is much appreciated.
      03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Ruhnie
Private

Anyone?
      03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
335bmwjohn
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW E90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I am also experiencing a similar issue in my 2007 335i 2-3k rpms just normal highway cruising the rpms will surge a bit. I keep getting 3 codes P2C3E, P29E0, P29E1 I have cleared 3 times but hey keep coming back. I have fresh plugs, and injector recall done years ago. Thinking O2 sensor, Walnut, Injectors.
335bmwjohn is offline   United_States
      03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Was having a similar issue with a surge but my car cut off.
I needed a crank position sensor an had a faulty injector that had not failed yet.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
      03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

do some repeated pulls back and forth around the problemed rpm band. will leave shadow code if something is wrong.
Fun w/N54 is offline   United_States
      03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Ruhnie
Private

Thanks for the replies. No codes were found, and trust me I tried to make it throw some. They didn't think it was anything wrong with the injectors, due to the lack of codes I am guessing. They basically had no solid idea of what was causing it, hence the "smoke tests" as a starting point. Ugh.
      03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
georgelb
nsomneeak

Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
Does it do it at a steady cruise on the highway too? If so you might check the vacuum lines behind your oil filter housing; they might be cracked from the heat. I had the low rpm issue and surging at cruise; replacing those two lines fixed it.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS | Coming Soon: E85
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.
georgelb is offline   United_States
      03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
ctuna
Brigadier General

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Do you think maybe you need an intake clean

as in clean the Intake valves either manuals or with a Walnut Blast.
Search for Walnut Blast threads. You have to physically clean it as
no gas or additives pass over the Intake valves in a DI engine.
      03-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Ruhnie
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelb View Post
Does it do it at a steady cruise on the highway too? If so you might check the vacuum lines behind your oil filter housing; they might be cracked from the heat. I had the low rpm issue and surging at cruise; replacing those two lines fixed it.
Do you mean accelerating at highway speeds, or at a constant speed? I tend to notice it most often in 2nd and 3rd gear but I'm pretty sure it's there in any gear. They did recommend checking the vacuum lines so interesting to hear you had that issue. Sounds like it's at least worth investigating. Thanks!
      03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Ruhnie
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
as in clean the Intake valves either manuals or with a Walnut Blast.
Search for Walnut Blast threads. You have to physically clean it as
no gas or additives pass over the Intake valves in a DI engine.
^ Heh see my original post. That was the first thing I tried. I had wanted to do the walnut blasting already for the performance gains, but was hoping a side effect would be fixing my surge/power issue. No such luck.
      03-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
georgelb
nsomneeak

Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Do you mean accelerating at highway speeds, or at a constant speed? I tend to notice it most often in 2nd and 3rd gear but I'm pretty sure it's there in any gear. They did recommend checking the vacuum lines so interesting to hear you had that issue. Sounds like it's at least worth investigating. Thanks!
Cruising at a steady pace; I'd definitely check those lines. =)

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS | Coming Soon: E85
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.
georgelb is offline   United_States