E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M Conversion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

M Conversion

Alright, I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so this is concerning using OEM M parts. I want to get an M3-look, but not with replica parts, I'd like to try and keep it all OEM if possible.

Will an OEM M3 skirts, front and rear bumper fit on a non-M E90 w/Sport package without doing custom work to ensure fitment? Don't care much if I lose the fog lights, I just like those aggressive intake ducts.

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked over and over again.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Alright, I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so this is concerning using OEM M parts. I want to get an M3-look, but not with replica parts, I'd like to try and keep it all OEM if possible.

Will an OEM M3 skirts, front and rear bumper fit on a non-M E90 w/Sport package without doing custom work to ensure fitment? Don't care much if I lose the fog lights, I just like those aggressive intake ducts.

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked over and over again.
you cant use oem parts unless you do a whole m3 body conversion including, front bumper, front fenders, side skirts, rear fenders, rear bumper. Basically your whole body, because the m3 is wider than the non-m e90. You dont really need custom work, you just need those fenders and I dont remember if your doors are pulled out or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
114

 
Route 16's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea


Posts: 4,626
iTrader: (29)

A guy made a thread about this maybe 6 months ago? I think the quote from LTMW was $7k? And the M3 fenders are filled, I don't know what that means.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Seems like I gotta go with a replica then, but the ones I'm finding say they aren't compatible with Sport Package E90s any reason why? Do the CF splitters still fit without issue on M-Tech replicas?
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Looking at potentially buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300718896037...S:1123&vxp=mtr

It says it won't fit on Sport/MSport equipped E90s, WHY?!!??!?!
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
A guy made a thread about this maybe 6 months ago? I think the quote from LTMW was $7k? And the M3 fenders are filled, I don't know what that means.
i think filled means the side marker vents are filled so you can use the non-m sidemarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Looking at potentially buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300718896037...S:1123&vxp=mtr

It says it won't fit on Sport/MSport equipped E90s, WHY?!!??!?!
fender liner and air ducts are different, you'd need to order non-sport fender liners and air ducts to cool your brakes. Do a search, there are lots of threads that mention this and lists part numbers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
21

 
Accelerometer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F30 335i /'11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ


Posts: 366
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Why even bother to do this? Might as well buy a used M3. By the time you are done with all the parts expense and time you will only have a car that looks like an m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
208

 
e90sexion's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA


Posts: 6,361
iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Why even bother to do this? Might as well buy a used M3. By the time you are done with all the parts expense and time you will only have a car that looks like an m3.
it will be still cheaper than buying used m3, but i agree its not worth it unless the insurance company pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Why even bother to do this? Might as well buy a used M3. By the time you are done with all the parts expense and time you will only have a car that looks like an m3.
i'd say fender liner and air ducts would cost roughly $300, m3 rep bumper $400-500, m3 rep sides $300, m3 rep rear 400-500, then paint for all I would estimate $1000? comes out to about $2600 (estimated!) whereas a full m3 conversion would be 10k out the door with paint at ltmw. If you're talking about an actual used m3, you're looking at 40k still. e90 m3s are still pretty pricey man
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
fravel
Captain
United_States
9

 
fravel's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati


Posts: 646
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew

i'd say fender liner and air ducts would cost roughly $300, m3 rep bumper $400-500, m3 rep sides $300, m3 rep rear 400-500, then paint for all I would estimate $1000? comes out to about $2600 (estimated!) whereas a full m3 conversion would be 10k out the door with paint at ltmw. If you're talking about an actual used m3, you're looking at 40k still. e90 m3s are still pretty pricey man
You aren't estimating enough for paint. Try more like $3-5k if you want it to look good.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
You aren't estimating enough for paint. Try more like $3-5k if you want it to look good.
I got my m3 rep front, performance sides, d2 hood, and dd csl trunk all for 1200@ dtm autobody in El Monte and my paint matched perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
skinrock
Agent Smith
84

 
skinrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Matrix


Posts: 2,860
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
I got my m3 rep front, performance sides, d2 hood, and dd csl trunk all for 1200@ dtm autobody in El Monte and my paint matched perfectly.
I paid about $1000 or so for painting both bumpers and the sides, all matched perfectly. $3-5k for just those parts is way too much, especially since they are already off-body.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
fravel
Captain
United_States
9

 
fravel's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati


Posts: 646
iTrader: (0)

I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Wei718
Captain
19

 
Wei718's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 769
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
I got my m3 rep front, performance sides, d2 hood, and dd csl trunk all for 1200@ dtm autobody in El Monte and my paint matched perfectly.
That is a great price for painting all them parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
JunkStory
Major
32

 
Drives: naked.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98230


Posts: 1,185
iTrader: (3)

These are all the parts you need for a full E92 M3 conversion. The little bits and pieces add up. Total comes to about $6k not including paint job, exhaust, and installation.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
These are all the parts you need for a full E92 M3 conversion. The little bits and pieces add up. Total comes to about $6k not including paint job, exhaust, and installation.
I assume it's a bit more for the E90 parts? Or maybe less since the E90 cost less than the E92 back when it was in production for the US market.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
JunkStory
Major
32

 
Drives: naked.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98230


Posts: 1,185
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
I assume it's a bit more for the E90 parts? Or maybe less since the E90 cost less than the E92 back when it was in production for the US market.
E90 would be higher because you would need the E92 style head lights. E92 uses the M3 head lights already.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Ok, so I'm going to pull the trigger on the M3 rep bumper, now what would look better for the rear? M-Tech or the OEM Rear Aero kit? They look similar, but are there differences?
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #19
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Ok, so I'm going to pull the trigger on the M3 rep bumper, now what would look better for the rear? M-Tech or the OEM Rear Aero kit? They look similar, but are there differences?
the diffusers are different
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
13

 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
the diffusers are different
Thanks for clearing that up!
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
21

 
Accelerometer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F30 335i /'11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ


Posts: 366
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
i'd say fender liner and air ducts would cost roughly $300, m3 rep bumper $400-500, m3 rep sides $300, m3 rep rear 400-500, then paint for all I would estimate $1000? comes out to about $2600 (estimated!) whereas a full m3 conversion would be 10k out the door with paint at ltmw. If you're talking about an actual used m3, you're looking at 40k still. e90 m3s are still pretty pricey man
You can get 2008 E90 M3s for just under $30K with higher mileage. A decent example can be had for about $35K. I just bought a 2011 M3 for $41k.

If you sold your 2011 328i and factored in these conversion costs it would probably add up to around 35k. The only difference is that you would have an actual M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #22
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
71

 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650


Posts: 1,807
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer View Post
You can get 2008 E90 M3s for just under $30K with higher mileage. A decent example can be had for about $35K. I just bought a 2011 M3 for $41k.

If you sold your 2011 328i and factored in these conversion costs it would probably add up to around 35k. The only difference is that you would have an actual M3.
thats cool
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST