E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Removing clear bra?

03-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
MikeBlaszczak
Private

Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Removing clear bra?

I bought a used 2010 M3 coupe last week. The car is in pretty good shape and I'm happy with it so far, but one of its challenges is a clear bra over all of the front. It looks pretty terrible on the black paint, and I've never been a fan of the clear-adhesive bras, anyway.

What's a good way to approach removing the adhesive? Should I have a shop do it? Will the paint underneath be marred? How do I get the finish which wasn't protected to match the finish that was under the bra without a visible line or pattern?
MikeBlaszczak is offline   United_States
      03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
fravel
Captain

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

You should be able to just peel it off. It shouldn't leave any residue.

Since it's clear I doubt there will be any difference in paint color, the UV exposure is the same.
fravel is offline   United_States
      03-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Wei718
Captain

Drives: F80 M3

Per my past experience on removing one from my friends car it did leave tons of adhesives behind. I literally had to use rubbing compound with my flex DA polisher to get them off but it did not marred the paint whatsoever.
      03-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Shinzi
Lieutenant

Drives: 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
You should be able to just peel it off. It shouldn't leave any residue.

Since it's clear I doubt there will be any difference in paint color, the UV exposure is the same.
It shouldnt leave residue. Heat it and peel it. Although, for me it did leave a two tone. So you should really consider before doing it.
      03-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
MikeBlaszczak
Private

Garage List
Tel me: how do people maintain clear bra material? It won't last forever, so it must eventually be reapplied, right? How is that process completed?
      03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
signman
Private

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
It typically will not hurt metal, like on the hood. Heat is important, warmth helps. But I do expect it will pull the paint off the bumper. It did on mine..
      03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
NH335i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I had just made a thread yesterday questioning this? But since you guys are talking about it here i might as well ask you.
I had a rubber spacer in between my plates and bumper and it stained the clear bra in two small spots.
I want to get rid of my front plate but dont want that ugly stain.
Where can I buy a new clear bra?
NH335i is offline   United_States
      03-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Blowout81

Drives: Bmw 335

Well sir I am a 3M ppf installer and retailer (clear bra). If the bra was put on, on the factory paint it should not pull any paint off. But it is going to leave a crap load of adhesive (which u will need a body shop grade adhesive remover to get it off as easily as possible) still a pain though. If the bra was put on a bumper that was painted but not in a paint booth and baked on, chances are it will pull the paint off. The adhesive used is very aggressive due to the strecthing u have to do to get it on. Maintainace of the 3M film is usually just like paint. Wash it wax it polish it. Has it's own clearcoat so it shines like the car. And allows the natural sunlight to pass through so ur paint fades evenly.
      03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
NH335i
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout81
Well sir I am a 3M ppf installer and retailer (clear bra). If the bra was put on, on the factory paint it should not pull any paint off. But it is going to leave a crap load of adhesive (which u will need a body shop grade adhesive remover to get it off as easily as possible) still a pain though. If the bra was put on a bumper that was painted but not in a paint booth and baked on, chances are it will pull the paint off. The adhesive used is very aggressive due to the strecthing u have to do to get it on. Maintainace of the 3M film is usually just like paint. Wash it wax it polish it. Has it's own clearcoat so it shines like the car. And allows the natural sunlight to pass through so ur paint fades evenly.
Question.

I had two small rubber inserts behind my license plate that stained the clear 3m bra and Im wanting to take my plate off permanently but dont want the ugly stain.
Do you know of anything that i could use to clear it up or clean it?

Its either that or just cut out those little pieces and put new little inserts in. Which i dont think will look as good.
      03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Blowout81

Yeah there is probably nothing that will take that stain out without possibly damaging the film. Cutting them out and replacing is an option but freehand cutting is hard and not many ppl do it. There is always a major risk of cutting into the paint.
      03-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
NH335i
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If I do cut it, only two dime size cut outs, is the material under a lot of stress? That is, will it start to rip?
      03-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Blowout81

No it should not. If u are going to attempt to cut it, make sure it is a fresh blade that has never been used. The key to the cut is u are only trying to score the film and not penetrate all the way through to clearcoat/or paint. It is an acquired technique. Took me a while to get it down pact. But good luck. Take ur time.
      03-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
NH335i
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout81
No it should not. If u are going to attempt to cut it, make sure it is a fresh blade that has never been used. The key to the cut is u are only trying to score the film and not penetrate all the way through to clearcoat/or paint. It is an acquired technique. Took me a while to get it down pact. But good luck. Take ur time.
Much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Only one more question. Am i able to buy this in a small amount. Not going to need a whole role.
Ideas?
      03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Blowout81

Best option is probably eBay. Put 3M PPF (paint protection film) in the search engine. There are some ppl selling some small pieces.
      03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
NH335i
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thanks
      03-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!

Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]

this is all
      03-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
MikeBlaszczak
Private

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout81 View Post
Thanks for your note. Maybe the problem is that my film wasn't maintained with the paint -- it's quite cloudy, has lots of stone chip marks, and some buffing and scratch marks. I guess I'm going to head to a body shop and get them to look it over and advise -- maybe I'll have it removed and re-spray or replace whatever is necessary.