E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > fail on the new turbos...

03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
akuliest
Private First Class

Drives: 335i Black, Coral red interior

fail on the new turbos...

Hey,

So i followed some advice from the boards here and talked to Matt Juliar at BMW of Sterling who then told me to talk to Lazlo during a weekday (apparently Saturday is by far the worst to bring your car, so bad that according to Matt the techs barely look at the vehicle). Lazlo was very nice, i told him the service bulletin, he arranged for a loaner. It was a little stupid but after 4 days he told me that they can only replace the wastegate/turbo if there is an emissions light....why didnt he say that originally??

anyways i got the car back and finally installed my jb4. ran map 1 (car is completely stock) and did a 3rd gear WOT run, car started sputtering and vibrating looks like i need a new coil due to a misfire..? Anyways i guess ill be udner the hood until i do a few things to get the car running efficently for the jb4.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
135Pats
9-2
United_States

Drives: 135i

OP what kinda shape are your current turbos in? Are they just rattling a bit, totally blown seals, etc etc.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586R/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
akuliest
Private First Class

they rattle a decent amount when i let off the gas. One of the reasons i installed it is i want to see how much boost is actually building in stock/map1. last night i was able to get to about 8 pounds and then i got a misfire (pretty sure).

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
cotmfk
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 335i

If you turn off the car, then turn it back on, does the limp mode go away?

The car should have some codes in there. What codes are you seeing?
      03-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
akuliest
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
If you turn off the car, then turn it back on, does the limp mode go away?

The car should have some codes in there. What codes are you seeing?
yup, as soon as i restarted the car it was fine. I did however put it back into stock so i havent tried it on map 1 again. I noticed that the speedo and tach went crazy...then i realized that it was the car giving me codes lol. So im gonna run it again later tonght to see what happens. i printed out the code legend so i should be able to figure out the codes tonight if they do get thrown again.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
cotmfk
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 335i

That sounds similar to what happened to my stock turbos (wastegate failure). For me, even on the stock map, the error still came.

There is a DIY to adjust the wastegate here on e90post. If its the front turbo giving you problems, that DIY can help. If its the rear turbo or both, it won't be of much help. The rear turbo is very hard to get to.
      03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
giaolong
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300

Try checking the Spark Plugs.
I hard the same problem having misfire when i just installed JB4 on map 1 with a 40k miles car with the same old spark plugs. Changed all 6 out, never got a problem again and running strong still at 63k miles.
      03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Also sounds like boost leak symptoms (code 30ff). I just dealt with a small boost leak myself. Engine light, reduced power (limp mode), restart and everything is fine until I get on the boost again. 30ff shown. Looked at all the hose clamps and vacuum hoses I could reach from up top, and all the clamps from the elbow before the charge pipe (meth elbow), the clamps on the diverter valves, and even the intake filters could all be turned 1 or 2 full rotations. Once I tightened them all up, no more 30ff codes or limp mode. When i change oil next week will hit all the hose clamps I can on the intercooler while under that car.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Also sounds like boost leak symptoms (code 30ff). I just dealt with a small boost leak myself. Engine light, reduced power (limp mode), restart and everything is fine until I get on the boost again. 30ff shown. Looked at all the hose clamps and vacuum hoses I could reach from up top, and all the clamps from the elbow before the charge pipe (meth elbow), the clamps on the diverter valves, and even the intake filters could all be turned 1 or 2 full rotations. Once I tightened them all up, no more 30ff codes or limp mode. When i change oil next week will hit all the hose clamps I can on the intercooler while under that car.
Over a year ago when I used the have a JB4 installed on map 1, the same thing happened to me.....30ff boost leak code and limp mode. I then cleared the code, took the car to the dealer for them to inspect and they couldnt find a leak, replicate limp mode or the code.

I then sold the JB4 and went back to the JB+ and have been trouble free from limp mode ever since.

I will say however....dont underestimate the symptoms that arise from an old weak battery. It caused me bad stuttering issues under wide open throttle, power steering failure and hard starts in cold weather. Ive never heard of or experienced problems that arise from a bad battery like this from any other car ive ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
akuliest
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Ya, a friend of mine suggested the boost leak test...But then I need access to compressed air. I actually got a misfire on cylinder 2, so i switched coil 2 and 3 to see what happens. Ran the car hard on map 1, and then i got 4 codes (all misfires). So I guess I am going to buy 6 sparks and see what happens. Car runs fine on stock, so hopefully its just sparkplugs.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Luther@Fleming Automotive
Banned
United_States

Drives: 07 E90 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuliest View Post
Ya, a friend of mine suggested the boost leak test...But then I need access to compressed air. I actually got a misfire on cylinder 2, so i switched coil 2 and 3 to see what happens. Ran the car hard on map 1, and then i got 4 codes (all misfires). So I guess I am going to buy 6 sparks and see what happens. Car runs fine on stock, so hopefully its just sparkplugs.

Let us know what happens after the spark plug change. Im thinking its going to be carbon build up thats causing the problem only when using the jb4.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
United_States

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Luther,

do you really think the elevated boost levels from the JB4 could be causing the misfire with the carbon buildup?

I would think it would do it with or without the JB4 if the carbon build up was significant enough.

Your thoughts?

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
d8rknight
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
1998 Honda/Civic  [0.00]
2005 Yamaha R1  [0.00]
2011 Infinity G37x  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
this is interesting... My plugs were just changed about 5k ago, and i have new injectors.. should be running a JB4 next week. Warranty expires this week as well... now i wonder...

07 e92 Sports Package 6MT - sold 03/2013
Appreciate 0