E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M Roadsters: Z4 vs Z3 Photoshoot



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #45
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,525
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I never liked the Z3 which is why I bought a new S2000 in 2000, the first year it was made and kept it for almost 13 years. To me the Z3 tried to be so retro that it looked outdated the day it was introduced. I think the S2000 was a far better looking modern take on a classic roadster because instead of wood and dials in the cabin, it had a digital speedometer and an electronic interpretation of an analog tachometer. At the time every car mag that tested the new S2000 against the existing Z3 and the Porsche Boxster ranked the Honda #1, in looks, performance, handling, just about everything, except maybe creature comforts, although it came with Recaro seats. It didn't even have a clock, but the BMW came with heated seats. It had an award-winning engine that had more horsepower per liter (120hp/liter) than any normally aspirated car until Ferrari introduced the 458 Italia. It was as reliable as a Civic or an Accord, but outperformed the BMW and the Porsche roadsters at a significantly lower price. And the redline was 9000 RPM! It wasn't until BMW introduced the M Roadster and Porsche introduced the Boxster S could either one outperform the S2000, although I've personally smoked a Boxster S at a track day.

I hated the Z4 when I first saw it, thought it was another horrible example of the Chris Bangle "flame-sculpted" school of design (although it was actually designed by Anders Warming). However, after buying my wife's 335is Coupe in 2011 and joining the BMW CCA, we started hanging out with all of the other BMW owners in the local chapter and I saw a few Z4 M Roadsters and they kind of started to catch my eye over the last year. I got a chance to drive one last summer and fell in love with another car, so the S2000 had to go. I bought a 2006 Z4 M Roadster last July and it's only the second used car I've ever purchased, the last one in 1969. I have come to really appreciate the design and style of the Z4 and I really think that it was ahead of it's time. It's still eye catching and makes people's heads turn, even though the original design is 10 years old, partially because the bottom started falling out of the roadster market in the mid-2000s, they didn't sell very well, and people just really don't see them that often. They're a tremendous bargain for a true roadster sports car with one of the best engines that BMW has ever made, the S54.
I didn't pay attention to the Z3, it lacked substance. I paid attention in '98 when the M Roadster came to town. I was a teenager and loved the idea of the M3 drivetrain in a small Roadster, kind of like what Carroll Shelby did with the Cobra. I loved it so much, I drew this when I was 16, look at the license plate.


Now, I too love the S2000. But that drivetrain, when not driven in haste, when not shifted lower than 5500, sorry, it's tame due to the pitiful torque. 5-9k rpms, whole other story. Meanwhile, the S52 is silky, so torquey and such a great exhaust note and induction sound.


So when I turned 30, I was going to build myself a kit Cobra. Instead I quit my job and went back to school. So without the money I sold my Viggen and had $15k to play with. Hmmm, what would remind me of the Cobra...yep, there is the M Roadster.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
krnnerdboy
Colonel
 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 2,039
iTrader: (10)

One of the only cars I should have kept...


__________________

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #47
Icy J
almost..........
 
Icy J's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 323i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 599
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Curious what you're referring to? The mirrors and lower air intake appear to either be painted black or vinyl wrap, but all of the body work appears stock. The rear bumper has the license plate light on it, which is different than the US models, but it does appear 100% stock in terms of body work.
The car is Euro spec (which has a more powerful engine or something) and the bodywork is all wrapped (matte silver with some black parts)
__________________
Icy J is online now   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #48
STIHLBOLTS
First Lieutenant
 
STIHLBOLTS's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Georgia

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Garage List


I like both cars, each have something to offer to the owner. I was glued to the 007 movie when that car first came out. But I fell in love with the Z4 the first time I saw it at the Dealership. This is my 2nd one and I made it mine by doing those things we all like to do. "MODS"

Regards
__________________

2008 - Z4MR BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
STIHLBOLTS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #49
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,738
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
for the hardtop, the z3 M coupe wins for me.
I'm definitely in the "like" camp for the Z3Mcoupe but still think the Z4Mcoupe is one of the 10 most beautiful cars BMW has ever made. I can not say that about the Z3.

I really miss this car!



__________________
Mr.Metak2you is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #50
7 4 7
Private First Class
 
7 4 7's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i - Sportline
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mumbai, India

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

__________________
HORSEPOWER SELLS CARS, TORQUE WINS RACES
7 4 7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #51
dextro
Private
 
dextro's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 E85 3.0i roadster
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Is that the Z4M at big wave bay last Sunday morning ?
dextro is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #52
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

I have owned a Z3M and currently own a Z4M

Both are AMAZING cars with more similarities than differences, but there are differences.

Believe it or not, both feel just as raw. The Z4M is a little softer and more comfortable though. The Z3M gives you more of a small car (Miata) feel. Both feel amazingly connected to the road. For a big guy like me, the Z4M is better because of the extra room. My head used to stick up over the Z3M windshield and I would have to pick bugs out of my hair.

Speed wise, the Z4M is faster. But not so fast that the Z3M is slow in comparison.

You can't go wrong with either car and both are destined to be absolute BMW classics!!!
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #53
24601
Major
 
24601's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Toyota Prius  [0.00]
2014 BMW 750Li  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Curious what you're referring to? The mirrors and lower air intake appear to either be painted black or vinyl wrap, but all of the body work appears stock. The rear bumper has the license plate light on it, which is different than the US models, but it does appear 100% stock in terms of body work.

If you look at the side gills...
Attached Images
 
__________________
MY13 E92 M3 SS w/ ZCP l ZPP l 2MK l 6NR l 752 l M Performance Exhaust, Grill, Side Gills, C/F splitters

Sold - 2009 E92 335i LMB M-Sport
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
24601 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #54
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,174
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
If you look at the side gills...
Are you paid to be as cryptic as humanly possible? If I look at the side gills, I see a standard M gill and the normal body gap for a Z3, identical to my old car:


My wheels were powdercoated a different color and I had the port installed fog lights (which were useless) but otherwise, mine was cosmetically stock.

If you're referring to the micro amount of overspray looking material at the back edge of the gill, I've seen worse from the factory and the OP and owner mentioned the car is wrapped. Again, I'll ask what body work you see that's not 100% stock?
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #55
24601
Major
 
24601's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Toyota Prius  [0.00]
2014 BMW 750Li  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Are you paid to be as cryptic as humanly possible? If I look at the side gills, I see a standard M gill and the normal body gap for a Z3, identical to my old car:


My wheels were powdercoated a different color and I had the port installed fog lights (which were useless) but otherwise, mine was cosmetically stock.

NO. Look closer at the gill...
__________________
MY13 E92 M3 SS w/ ZCP l ZPP l 2MK l 6NR l 752 l M Performance Exhaust, Grill, Side Gills, C/F splitters

Sold - 2009 E92 335i LMB M-Sport
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
24601 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #56
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,174
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's kinda dirty?

If you're referring to it being slightly unaligned with the door, that's par for the course on Z3's from the factory.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #57
KIM-JONG-UN
New Member
 
KIM-JONG-UN's Avatar
 
Drives: z4 2003
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Korea

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

z4 looks nice in black
KIM-JONG-UN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #58
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,174
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIM-JONG-UN View Post
z4 looks nice in black
Say hi to Rodman for us.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #59
KIM-JONG-UN
New Member
 
KIM-JONG-UN's Avatar
 
Drives: z4 2003
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Korea

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Say hi to Rodman for us.
;D
KIM-JONG-UN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #60
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,936
iTrader: (43)

Garage List
I'm a coupe guy, love the Z3/4 but only in coupe/hatch form. The ragtop never did it for me, the back always looked incomplete.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #61
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I see a standard M gill and the normal body gap for a Z3,
I love the huge body gaps on M cars, especially the Z3M and Z4M's. Factory standard!
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #62
BMW_M135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW M135i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Great pics indeed !
BMW_M135i is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #63
krnnerdboy
Colonel
 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 2,039
iTrader: (10)

As requested by the op...



__________________

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #64
Mroadsters
New Member
 
Drives: Z3M & Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
As requested by the op...
Thanks krnnerdboy, your car seriously looks wicked! Just sent an email to morr wheels asking for price lol.

Thanks Icy J for posting pics of my cars, lovely pics, and thanks for everyone's comments!
Mroadsters is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #65
antennahead
Captain
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Charleston, South Carolina

Posts: 609
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I never liked the Z3 which is why I bought a new S2000 in 2000, the first year it was made and kept it for almost 13 years. To me the Z3 tried to be so retro that it looked outdated the day it was introduced. I think the S2000 was a far better looking modern take on a classic roadster because instead of wood and dials in the cabin, it had a digital speedometer and an electronic interpretation of an analog tachometer. At the time every car mag that tested the new S2000 against the existing Z3 and the Porsche Boxster ranked the Honda #1, in looks, performance, handling, just about everything, except maybe creature comforts, although it came with Recaro seats. It didn't even have a clock, but the BMW came with heated seats. It had an award-winning engine that had more horsepower per liter (120hp/liter) than any normally aspirated car until Ferrari introduced the 458 Italia. It was as reliable as a Civic or an Accord, but outperformed the BMW and the Porsche roadsters at a significantly lower price. And the redline was 9000 RPM! It wasn't until BMW introduced the M Roadster and Porsche introduced the Boxster S could either one outperform the S2000, although I've personally smoked a Boxster S at a track day.

I hated the Z4 when I first saw it, thought it was another horrible example of the Chris Bangle "flame-sculpted" school of design (although it was actually designed by Anders Warming). However, after buying my wife's 335is Coupe in 2011 and joining the BMW CCA, we started hanging out with all of the other BMW owners in the local chapter and I saw a few Z4 M Roadsters and they kind of started to catch my eye over the last year. I got a chance to drive one last summer and fell in love with another car, so the S2000 had to go. I bought a 2006 Z4 M Roadster last July and it's only the second used car I've ever purchased, the last one in 1969. I have come to really appreciate the design and style of the Z4 and I really think that it was ahead of it's time. It's still eye catching and makes people's heads turn, even though the original design is 10 years old, partially because the bottom started falling out of the roadster market in the mid-2000s, they didn't sell very well, and people just really don't see them that often. They're a tremendous bargain for a true roadster sports car with one of the best engines that BMW has ever made, the S54.
Yep, the Z4 design was so ahead of anything else it's taken a while to be accepted, going from strange in the eyes of many to being a very cool design. What I like so much about it is the side silhouette ...... the way the line from the front fender continues through the door, and at the back of the door dips down then up into the rear panel .............. while the actual sheet metal of the door at the top is straight across, that silhouette harkens back to the roadsters of the 50's and 60's, like the AC ............... a very retro modern look in my opinion, a thing of beauty

John
antennahead is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #66
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 565
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroadsters View Post
Thanks krnnerdboy, your car seriously looks wicked! Just sent an email to morr wheels asking for price lol.

Thanks Icy J for posting pics of my cars, lovely pics, and thanks for everyone's comments!
Do you know any other Z3M Roadster owners in HK? I have been looking for one for ages. Let me know if anyone is wanting to sell. Thanks.
__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST