E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stage 2 shipped!

05-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #551
tinnsoldaten
Captain

Drives: e92 335i coupe

Any updates on these puppies? Some feedback would be nice ...

Basically , what are we waiting for ?

Getting no updates at all....
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|ESS S2|P3 Boost Gauge|JIC CROSS Competition Coilvers|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
tinnsoldaten is offline   Norway
      05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #552
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 335xi Coupe 6MT

Rader got some dyno results. He was running a conservative boost curve.

This time was 93+meth, 19psi quickly tapering to 15psi. Peak WHP was at 5600rpm @ only 15.5psi: 446whp/487wtq delta of 170whp from baseline. There is a lot left in there, especially with 446whp at only 15.5psi

He will be going back with an e40 mix and stuff like that and going aggressive.
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing / PROcede+OpenFlash, PWM meth + ADVAN in-boot meth tank, Vargas S2 Turbos, AMS fmic, catless (ur+ae), SPEC clutch/flywheel, KW V3 coilovers, thule flat-top 6 ski rack, etc etc etc...

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #553
turb0mike
First Lieutenant ///M killer

Drives: 2010 BMW 335i, 2006 E55 AMG

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [4.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
Any updates on these puppies? Some feedback would be nice ...

Basically , what are we waiting for ?

Getting no updates at all....
My car will be going to the bay on the 13th for new turbos and dyno session. I would do it sooner but my GF graduates so I am taking her up with me for a date week in SF. Tony will most likely dyno the car while it's up there but I have to prep the car for bimmerfest (that following Saturday and my Bday haha). After bimmerfest, the car will be going straight to GIAC. GIAC has been doing some crazy numbers with stock turbos.

My results will most likely be end of May, early June. I am moving back to SB end of May too so I have a lot on my plate, sorry for the delayed results.

- turb0mike -
      05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #554
Crazylegs
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
My car will be going to the bay on the 13th for new turbos and dyno session. I would do it sooner but my GF graduates so I am taking her up with me for a date week in SF. Tony will most likely dyno the car while it's up there but I have to prep the car for bimmerfest (that following Saturday and my Bday haha). After bimmerfest, the car will be going straight to GIAC. GIAC has been doing some crazy numbers with stock turbos.

My results will most likely be end of May, early June. I am moving back to SB end of May too so I have a lot on my plate, sorry for the delayed results.
sweet 13ths my bday maybe ill get dyno #'s as a gift
      05-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #555
tinnsoldaten
Captain

Thanks for the info guys , these turbos seems really strong...

Any input from Tony , in regards to requirements before release?

I am blank on knowledge about what needs to be sorted before these stg2`s can be released , I do value proper testing and also pushing these turbos to their limits, not to brake them , but to know where the safe limit is.

And also that beta testers with FBO + meth and E85 run some numbers with various tunes.

And then again , Im like a little kid waiting on xmas eve , for when I can open my gifts. And summer is not lasting forever here where I live , its actually snow right now , and summer is starting around mid May and last till September....

Well , Im off to bed ...5 more days and Im home again , and a ton of parts waiting for me at home....
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|ESS S2|P3 Boost Gauge|JIC CROSS Competition Coilvers|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
      05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #556
Manny_World
Colonel

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
1994 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post

I know I'm probably throwing darts in the dark, but do you think it'll be possible to reach 500whp on our crappy pump gas... or e85 or meth will be needed to reach that number range?
Cobb e30 Map|ER FMIC & CP|MS DP & Stud Kit|aFe DCI|Spec Stage 2+|HRE 840r|CF GTR Vented Hood|OSS Design|Walbro 255|M3 Lip Spoiler|Muteki Anodized Blue Lugs|HID Fog Conv.|Painted Calipers|Bilstien PSS9|Cusco Strut Bar|StopTech Power Slot Rotors, Street Pads & SS Brake Lines|Michelin PSS|Muffler Delete

Last edited by Manny_World; 05-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Manny_World is offline   United_States
      05-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #557
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan

Drives: ///N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
I know I'm probably throwing darts in the dark, but do you think it'll be possible to reach 500whp on our crappy pump gas, or definitely e85 or meth have to be ran to reach that number range?
+1
I am wondering that too.....no meth though, 50/50 93 Oct + E85
      05-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #558
jippii ensio
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
I know I'm probably throwing darts in the dark, but do you think it'll be possible to reach 500whp on our crappy pump gas, or definitely e85 or meth have to be ran to reach that number range?
The turbine wheel exducer diameter measures appr. 1.46" so its only 0.1" larger than stock. The unhealthy stock turbo record is around 465whp, so pushing 500whp with just a slightly bigger wheel would kill them quickly. For a reasonable longevity I'd run these at no more than 18-19psi.
      05-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #559
Ænema
Captain

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
The turbine wheel exducer diameter measures appr. 1.46" so its only 0.1" larger than stock. The unhealthy stock turbo record is around 465whp, so pushing 500whp with just a slightly bigger wheel would kill them quickly. For a reasonable longevity I'd run these at no more than 18-19psi.
I wasn't aware tony had publicly released specs for the wheels. Can you cite your source?
      05-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #560
New JerZ
Private

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
469 :P
JB4 G5 Iso Tune +*********** Backend e85 by Undercover Performance 469 WHP/491 TQ (no nitrous) Full E85 (No Meth) VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump l BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes
      05-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #561
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Weren't those stock turbo records on a mix of e85 and also meth etc at 20+ psi?

Rader was making 450whp at only 15.5 psi on 93+meth only. A couple more psi would have been perfectly fine and probably would make 470ish without straining the turbos. throw some e85 in the mix with more aggressive timing and I'm pretty sure we'll see 500 without too much effort
      05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #562
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
I don't think there is much mystery here. They are likely to make + or - 5whp over other stage 2 like offerings (TD stage2, RB, ASR) since they are also in the stock housings which seem to be the limiting factor.

Dynojet - 450whp 93 octane, 475-485whp 93 octane+ meth, 495-515whp race gas + meth. (maybe more with ethanol in the mix?)

Always great to have another quality option at a reasonable price in the community. Happy motoring.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Last edited by scottp999; 05-03-2013 at 07:08 AM.
      05-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #563
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
I wasn't aware tony had publicly released specs for the wheels. Can you cite your source?
He is quite secretive and it is not in his best interest to release the specs since the turbine wheel is rather small. A few beta sets are out there and many of us have seen and hold them, you included. I’m surprised that you haven’t measured them yourself having quite personal interest in how they perform… We don’t want any harm for the guys whose turbos have been measured, do we? So, let’s say that the owner(s) don’t know about the measurement(s).
      05-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #564
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by New JerZ View Post
469 :P
Congrats! That’s more than what some of the turbo upgrade guys are putting down, but you are on your quest for an excuse for the upgrade… Anyways, you would be able to push the 30whp more out of these compared to the stockers to reach the 500WHP mark especially if you will be looking for excuses for even bigger upgrades later on
      05-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #565
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I don't think there is much mystery here. They are likely to make + or - 5whp over other stage 2 like offerings (TD stage2, RB, ASR) since they are also in the stock housings which seem to be the limiting factor.

Dynojet - 450whp 93 octane, 475-485whp 93 octane+ meth, 495-515whp race gas + meth. (maybe more with ethanol in the mix?)

Always great to have another quality option at a reasonable price in the community. Happy motoring.
Actually, TD2, RB and ASR have big turbine wheels as well as upgraded CHRAs, so they are not fully comparable. The turbine housing limitation seems to be at 550whp, i.e. above the VTT2 and even TD2 turbine wheels' limitations.

Last edited by jippii ensio; 05-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.
      05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #566
jpsimon
Team Zissou

That 550whp was done with an upgraded cylinder head as well. Didn't Dzenno's RB turbos die soon after?

...anyways, it's all speculation until more of these get out there and are pushed. At 17-18psi towards redline i'm at somewhere around 60-65% wgdc. At 15.5psi Rader was making 450whp. 500whp should be reachable without much effort. The wheel may be smaller but it's definitely efficient.
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing / PROcede+OpenFlash, PWM meth + ADVAN in-boot meth tank, Vargas S2 Turbos, AMS fmic, catless (ur+ae), SPEC clutch/flywheel, KW V3 coilovers, thule flat-top 6 ski rack, etc etc etc...

05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #567
New JerZ
Private

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Congrats! That’s more than what some of the turbo upgrade guys are putting down, but you are on your quest for an excuse for the upgrade… Anyways, you would be able to push the 30whp more out of these compared to the stockers to reach the 500WHP mark especially if you will be looking for excuses for even bigger upgrades later on
Yeah when we go back on the dyno next week with upgraded fuel system components and meth (469 was no meth) we expect to see close to 500 whp....stock turbos are cheap as are vargas stage 1s so I am not worried about the blown stock turbos.
JB4 G5 Iso Tune +*********** Backend e85 by Undercover Performance 469 WHP/491 TQ (no nitrous) Full E85 (No Meth) VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump l BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes
      05-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #568
marv85
Colonel

Drives: '07 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
That 550whp was done with an upgraded cylinder head as well. Didn't Dzenno's RB turbos die soon after?

...anyways, it's all speculation until more of these get out there and are pushed. At 17-18psi towards redline i'm at somewhere around 60-65% wgdc. At 15.5psi Rader was making 450whp. 500whp should be reachable without much effort. The wheel may be smaller but it's definitely efficient.

I think the turbos are doing great 450whp on 15.5psi with 93+ meth means there is a lot more in them.

The guy is arguing just because Shiv once argued against... Tony has stage3s that compete with single offerings from Shiv and you get the point... He is not the kind of person that argues for anything else than that.

Some people find it hard to believe that competition is actually healthy and will only result in benefit to the end user which is all of us.... There are great examples of how competition makes it better, the latest and the least of which is procede going VIN unlocked.
      05-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #569
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:

Clipped turbine wheels make the power at slightly higher boost. The fullback wheel of VTT2 has a lot better aero compared to the clipped TIAL/EPL that you had before. They don't need and they won't benefit of boost increases that much because of their better aerodynamics. VTT2 has ported wastegate, so wgdc is not a uniform measure across the options. You are definitely right about the efficiency of the wheel. It compensates partially for its smaller size. The wheel looks beautiful.

The head does not help much with the restrictive stock turbine housing. Running 550whp kills any stock housing turbos quickly, no doubt. With smaller turbine wheels even 500whp is pushing it.

Technically this is a nice option and fills up the space above the stage 1 options. Its great to have Vargas working on our platform. The competition is good for all of us.
      05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #570
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: pickemuptruck

At first I was a little skeptical and still believe RBs will flow more, but stg2 seem to be doing pretty good with the limited info. Rader's dyno did have 7% correction due to altitude primarily (I assume)... unless really pushing a turbo, altitude won't have the equivalent DA effect. Sorry, but Raders 450 is closer to 420 in my book, which makes more sense at 15.5psi. Not being negative, just factual.

As to WGDC, the porting should increase the required vacuum so from this view they are looking pretty good.

I do wonder how the smaller shaft will handle heat, speed.
      05-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #571
tinnsoldaten
Captain

This is like talking about food , it makes you hungry....

And all this talk of the stage 2`s , makes me want to start installing them already

Any news on release date? Or what testing needs to be finished first.

Oh i want them so bad...
      05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #572
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 335I

But on other forums I've seen it mentioned that some believe that upgraded cylinder head actually will make less power due to less CR. Just being facetious there, but yes that 550+rwhp dyno should be discarded without the exact same modlist. As for the RBs dying, that is correct. But they made it beyond the dyno and to street tuning, and were being tuned beyond 28psi as well. They were being PUSHED hard, intentionally, and dzenno is very hard on components. He will make 100's of passes in a given day. Thank goodness he is going to a stage 3 setup.

Quote:
I never looked at the dyno, but corrections are pretty important. Ultimately some real data would be nice (ie. traps, 60-130s, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
At first I was a little skeptical and still believe RBs will flow more, but stg2 seem to be doing pretty good with the limited info. Rader's dyno did have 7% correction due to altitude primarily (I assume)... unless really pushing a turbo, altitude won't have the equivalent DA effect. Sorry, but Raders 450 is closer to 420 in my book, which makes more sense at 15.5psi. Not being negative, just factual.

As to WGDC, the porting should increase the required vacuum so from this view they are looking pretty good.

I do wonder how the smaller shaft will handle heat, speed.