E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Who can do a perfect color match??? need help.

03-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
igor_ki
Captain

Drives: A LIL BIMMER

Who can do a perfect color match??? need help.

So im doing an lci conversion and need to repaint my front end. i got some paint from Jerry's Paint and they gave me the 300 bmw alpine white for my under hood, so i painted it and then did a sample on my old fender that was damaged. its completly off, so now idk where else to get it for the exterior. i know a few people who can do a good job painting for a good price, but i need to get the paint. Where can i buy paint that will match it?
this is how it came out on the fender with clear coat. now it wont matter on the inside of the hood, but for exterior i want it to match.
Attached Images

igor_ki is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman

Drives: around the block

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
its hard to match oem paint perfectly, which is why most body shops blend your car to what they just painted. That paint you have is probably the right color, you just cant compare it side by side like that, you would have to do heavy coats on what needs to be painted and do light sprays as you move away to blend the color to the next panel. BTW shipping the headlights out thurs not sat
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
igor_ki
Captain

yea but if i blend it'll still be noticeable, i had a gray honda accord and you can tell it was blended because new color was a lighter shade and when u look at the front of the door and end, u can see the transition. does bmw paint fade or yellow? maybe i need to do something to my car to unfade it or take the yellowishness off? because like it is now, it would be very noticeable i mean its just as it is in person as on the pic.if u look at the bottom part where i kinda blended it in, u can still see that its off. i know I've seen repainted bmws and the color matches great. i wish bmw would just sell their paint, but i think the factory uses a different method.
      03-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
igor_ki
Captain

and thats great, i found the rear covers from a member here, just need the angel eye bulbs. dont know what to buy, lux ones are expensive considering i had court today and have to pay a big ticket.
      03-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
Amini77
Brigadier General

Drives: SGM E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
I'm in the same situation..http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814954

Are you sure you didn't spray it wrong or something because that looks off white. I've had panels repainted on my car (wind storm) and they match perfectly (i think it was blended). When I went to ask my old shop how much is it he quoted me $900 A friend quoted me $300, my other mechanic told me another place for $400, and another place $1500 (with blend). My insurance covered it the last time but I can't find the right place to do it this time that's affordable.

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
igor_ki
Captain

i sprayed it on right. i have a compressor and special paint sprayer and whole bunch of crap, only reason why i wont pant the exterior myself is because i dont have the painting chamber to make sure no dust gets in. but the paint matching always sucks. i dont even know who to buy it from.
      03-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
deadmn1337
Captain

Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

you are comparing your old paint that has a clear coat to un-clear coated paint. The clear coat normally add a yellow tinge some what when it is sparyed and dried.
deadmn1337 is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
igor_ki
Captain

the pic is with a clear coat, i did a good layer or paint and after i added a clear coat on top of the new and old paint.
      03-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Dbaby83

Drives: 2006 325i

What brand of base color did they sell you? We usually use PPG envirobase and blend into
the next panel. If you just spray the fender or butt blend 9 out 10 times you can see a difference.
      03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
igor_ki
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaby83 View Post
What brand of base color did they sell you? We usually use PPG envirobase and blend into
the next panel. If you just spray the fender or butt blend 9 out 10 times you can see a difference.
so how do i need to do it to not be noticable and better yet a perfect match?