E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need serious quick help. Vacuum boost solenoids...

04-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Need serious quick help. Vacuum boost solenoids...

Ok after MONTHS trying to figure out my rear WG rattle I got it to stop! If I block the connection between the two boost solenoids...the rattle is gone. When the two are T'd together like it is designed...the rattle is there. I checked the pressure post solenoid for both the rear and front and they were both fine, able to hold pressure with no leaks.

So why does connecting the vacuum together (like its designed) make the wg rattle, but pinching the connection between them and everything works fine....

I have MHD installed, is that screwing up the solenoids so they aren't working when T'd together?

I'm so very confused as to why they are T'd together in the first place if they each have their own vacuum canister and independent solenoids.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Ok after MONTHS trying to figure out my rear WG rattle I got it to stop! If I block the connection between the two boost solenoids...the rattle is gone. When the two are T'd together like it is designed...the rattle is there. I checked the pressure post solenoid for both the rear and front and they were both fine, able to hold pressure with no leaks.

So why does connecting the vacuum together (like its designed) make the wg rattle, but pinching the connection between them and everything works fine....

I have MHD installed, is that screwing up the solenoids so they aren't working when T'd together?

I'm so very confused as to why they are T'd together in the first place if they each have their own vacuum canister and independent solenoids.

Any ideas?
LOL,
has nothing to do with the tune.
all N54 motors like yours and mine have rattle.
i actually bought new turbo's with 8 mm rods newer batch. and been silent since.
pinching the connection was an old fix in vishnu days during version 1.47 beta, where we bypass the line.
can't get rid of rattle unless new turbo setup, maybe a lil tightening (doubtful).
some tunes have,had, rattle fix.
COBBPowered,WedgeTuned,Spec2+clutch&Alum.flywheel, Wavetrac diff, lockdown kit, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA Race FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, ECS 2 piece cross drilled/slotted rotors, HPS 5.0 pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Sgop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe sport pkg

They are teed as a fail safe. If one bs fails the other one can operate the wgs in a compromised manner.

If both bs are operating properly/equal the teed hose is a dead region almost like a plug as for vacuum is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
YoungBlood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Alpine White

OK so assuming both work fine, can we plug it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
LOL,
has nothing to do with the tune.
all N54 motors like yours and mine have rattle.
i actually bought new turbo's with 8 mm rods newer batch. and been silent since.
pinching the connection was an old fix in vishnu days during version 1.47 beta, where we bypass the line.
can't get rid of rattle unless new turbo setup, maybe a lil tightening (doubtful).
some tunes have,had, rattle fix.
Someone didn't read. I currently have no rattle because I took away the pointless connection between the two vacuum lines going to the front and back turbo.

Looks like you bought new turbos for nothing when you could have just replaced a solenoid. LOL

My question is why does this connection exist and is my boost solenoid bad and that is why when hooked together the vacuum pressure isn't correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
They are teed as a fail safe. If one bs fails the other one can operate the wgs in a compromised manner.

If both bs are operating properly/equal the teed hose is a dead region almost like a plug as for vacuum is concerned.
The pressure is different when checked at the T connection compared to just checked at the rear only. I'm guessing the boost solenoids aren't in sync so it is not producing the right pressure.

My car is running great without rattle right now without the T connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
YoungBlood
Private First Class
Rep

How did you plug them off? Plugs, or did you just pinch the line? Any difference in how it runs or codes? This fixes my issue but I thought it would do something bad haha
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Sgop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe sport pkg

Quote:
The pressure is different when checked at the T connection compared to just checked at the rear only. I'm guessing the boost solenoids aren't in sync so it is not producing the right pressure.

My car is running great without rattle right now without the T connection.
Since its a "dead" region vacuum should not be measured at the tee. Tee hose needs to be removed and each solenoid measured separately w plug.

Incidentally i dont have the tee hose just elbows.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Since its a "dead" region vacuum should not be measured at the tee. Tee hose needs to be removed and each solenoid measured separately w plug.

Incidentally i dont have the tee hose just elbows.

So you aren't running them together? Individually they seem fine. Together they rattle. Idk what's up. But I guess I'll just elbow it like you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
YoungBlood
Private First Class
Rep

Got and pictures to show how you have it elbowed off?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
How did you plug them off? Plugs, or did you just pinch the line? Any difference in how it runs or codes? This fixes my issue but I thought it would do something bad haha
I used plugs. I think something funky is going on, but haven't figures it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
Got and pictures to show how you have it elbowed off?
This. I'd really like to see a picture of your setup please. A cellphone pic should do.
      04-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #13
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Someone didn't read. I currently have no rattle because I took away the pointless connection between the two vacuum lines going to the front and back turbo.

Looks like you bought new turbos for nothing when you could have just replaced a solenoid. LOL

My question is why does this connection exist and is my boost solenoid bad and that is why when hooked together the vacuum pressure isn't correct.
I changed my solenoids, all lines , etc, prior to turbo.
anyway off topic
COBBPowered,WedgeTuned,Spec2+clutch&Alum.flywheel, Wavetrac diff, lockdown kit, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA Race FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, ECS 2 piece cross drilled/slotted rotors, HPS 5.0 pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
JustDriveIt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
I changed my solenoids, all lines , etc, prior to turbo.
anyway off topic
I definitely agree the turbos are poor design. I think my problem is a combo of leaking solenoid, vacuum line maybe, and elongated (loosened) actuator Rod on the FRONT turbo of course.

Good for you for changing them out and getting rid of the rattle, def the best solution. I'm just bitter.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:36 AM   #15
YoungBlood
Private First Class
Rep

bumping this.. I read that the connection between the two, is as a failsafe, if one goes out, the other can control boost to the other turbo... so bad things if the solenoid fails, and they are not connected...
Appreciate 0