E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Viper Alarm Package fitted by Secure My Car

06-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Drives: E92

Thumbs up Viper Alarm Package fitted by Secure My Car

Had the full Viper Package fitted yesterday on my E92. Very happy with the install. Antony is a nice guy. He must be one out of a handful of good installers left in the UK - very professional and friendly. He talked me through the install, answered all of my questions, demonstrated the system and I felt that I could trust my car in his hands.

Had a good sleep last night, no longer worried about car or checking on it every now and then, the 2 way pager alerts me to any warnings and so on. It's also useful in case you leave a door open, it will beep at you and say 'door' so you don't forget. Great range on the remote too. It also has full closure incase you leave a window open, once you press lock all windows close. Works beautifully with the BMW can-bus system.

Now all I have to do is order a lock cover and remove the driver side lock. The locks on the E92's are pathetic. My friend from Ireland showed me how easy it is to pick it with a pick drill.

BMW service was a joke. They said that they had updated the CAS to stop the window drop. We tested this out with the key and they had not carried out the update! So BMW are lying to customers by saying that they have carried out work which they have not! I called up Cooper Reading again and they then told me that as my car was January 2007 it was safe. This is not true, if you have an electronic key (rather than a blade) then you are at risk. Don't hold your breath or wait for BMW to do you any 'good will' and then turn around and lie to you.

The system I went for in the end: glass break sensor, dual zone proximity sensor, tilt sensor, flashing Viper Logo and LCD pager remote... oh and another thing about the install... he added an extra wire just in case and when he was putting the car back together I decided that the Viper Logo would complete the system... which he did without any fuss or problems.

I don't plan to take my car to any unsavoury places but I feel comfortable if I had to make a stop off in an area I did not know that my car would be safe. I recommend this package wholeheartedly... if you do not have a security package installed as yet then this is the man and the place to get it all done. The system is worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited by Broken_Gearbox; 06-05-2013 at 07:31 AM.
      06-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Great review and write up. What was the overall cost?
AWBimmer is online now   United Kingdom
      06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Cost Breakdown as quoted on 16/05/13:

Viper package is 550 fitted and includes the LED 2-way pager remote and 1 x 1-way spare remote, full security upgrade with protection to boot bonnet and doors (it uses the existing door, boot and bonnet sensors so no new sensors installed). 120db 6 tone siren, dual proximity sensor with interior sensor with external warn away (beeps if anyone looks through the window), engine immobiliser, all important OBD port immobiliser (stop key cloning) This whole system is completely independent and secures your car separately to the BMW alarm.

Extras
Glass break sensor 45
Tilt sensor 65
Flashing viper logo 35
LCD remote upgrade: 85

The guy is a ****ing genius though. You know when you meet someone who has been working on BMW's for years and they know their stuff inside and out. After sales support is probably the most important aspect too which I forgot to mention. After you have had the system fitted, you can call him, e-mail him with any questions or concerns and he is happy to help.

You get what you pay for, a quality install and workmanship. I contacted some random companies before this and I was quoted silly prices and silly install times - it will probably cost you some broken clips or even your car. There are a lot of unprofessional people out there to make a quick money and dare I say they will probably steal your car at a later date. You have to be very careful who you give your car to.

Hope that helps :-)

Last edited by Broken_Gearbox; 06-05-2013 at 07:38 AM.
      06-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Dan930
Private First Class

Drives: 3series

I'm deff going to Anthony in July for the viper install..
Dan930 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
mikeoz
Private First Class

Drives: bmw 335i

Looks andsounds good. I'm liking the keyless go option also.
May get this system my self.
      06-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

The other day I was in Tesco (without the Viper) and this shady man in a corner had a lock jammer. I was pressing the lock button the BMW and nothing was happening. Third time I pressed it, I noticed him and he walked off. With the Viper you get anti-code grabbing which is immume to this kind of jamming as long as you use the Viper remote to arm the system.

For anyone interested in the lock cover:

http://www.bimmian.co.uk/Painted-Key...om-bimmian.com

I ordered mine this morning. It ships from the States so it came to 53 including UPS Tracked Delivery (3-6 days). Going to remove the lock and this will complete the security. I'm informed you can pick it up for about 30 from some German forums but that might not include the paint.
      06-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Excellent thanks OP. I will be looking into this soon

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is online now   United Kingdom
      06-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

Sounds like a great system and its nice to know that there are some installers out there that have a real understanding of the canbus system...
Re your comment on the bloke in the car park-not insulting your intelligence,but don't mistake a jammer for a grabber.
Most new alarm systems have random encryption coding,so if a signal is grabbed and replayed,it will be of no use as the code has already changed.
A jammer will unfortunately jam most if not all systems as it interrupts the message between fob and vehicle.
As BMW in their wisdom (like most other manufacturers) remove the audible lock/unlock feature,a section of owners take it for granted that their vehicles are locked when they press their fob and are unaware when the signal has been jammed.They then wonder why their vehicles have been accessed with no damage.
There are also issues with keyless entry on new cars,as this signal can be grabbed...
Your alarm sounds like it covers most bases though and to everyone else,make sure you get the audible lock/unlock feature coded-its available,just dormant and only takes a few minutes to sort...
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E90

Good to see that you have installed a security system.
And there is a security update out there for those cars which BMW is unable to offer.
The information is openly available on the forum.
I have personally done that update on my car and few others cars.
Also worth of reading the post above mine. Well said!
      06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Sounds like a great system and its nice to know that there are some installers out there that have a real understanding of the canbus system...
Re your comment on the bloke in the car park-not insulting your intelligence,but don't mistake a jammer for a grabber.
Most new alarm systems have random encryption coding,so if a signal is grabbed and replayed,it will be of no use as the code has already changed.
A jammer will unfortunately jam most if not all systems as it interrupts the message between fob and vehicle.
As BMW in their wisdom (like most other manufacturers) remove the audible lock/unlock feature,a section of owners take it for granted that their vehicles are locked when they press their fob and are unaware when the signal has been jammed.They then wonder why their vehicles have been accessed with no damage.
There are also issues with keyless entry on new cars,as this signal can be grabbed...
Your alarm sounds like it covers most bases though and to everyone else,make sure you get the audible lock/unlock feature coded-its available,just dormant and only takes a few minutes to sort...
Cheers Colonel, thanks for the insight... I always check to make sure it is all locked up and that the lights flash. I had the option to code the chirp but I come and go during the night that I wouldn't want to annoy our neighbours either or draw attention.

I always thought technology would turn around and bite us in the ass one day and the 'high tech' thefts prove this. I was looking at the Cooke's Ferry? method before this too - they take both keys and pair them so a key cannot be cloned? The car will only ever recognize those two keys and it makes it harder to create a new key. Made me laugh.. because at the end of the day anything done via the OBD can be reversed/undone via the OBD. The best way at the end of the day is to move the OBD port and immobilize it all together properly which stops the key clone issue.

BMW have been giving people stick lately about them moving their OBD port. There is no law saying that you cannot move your OBD port but there is a law saying that it must be accessible. So go ahead and move it wherever you want because they just want your car to get broken into - its all business at the end of the day when they get to repair so many stolen recovered/damaged cars.

ps. We need a thanks button on this site!

pps. Wish I had this:

Last edited by Broken_Gearbox; 06-07-2013 at 07:50 AM.
      06-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
mikeoz
Private First Class

Magna volt rocks..
      06-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Magna Volt Group Buy anyone?! Hahaha
      06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
mikeoz
Private First Class

Silver fox
Did u get the lock cover?
How does It fit etc?
Thanks
      06-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Silver fox
Did u get the lock cover?
How does It fit etc?
Thanks
Still waiting on it. Should arrive next week.

Here is how it works: http://www.bimmian.co.uk/elements/pa.../KHC/KHC9X.pdf

Mad props to WRH3 (E90 post) for this.

Looks dead easy to do. Oh how I want to piss off anyone with a lock picking drill!
      06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Arrived today and fitted in under 10 minutes.

The previous lock took a lot of shimmying to remove so to anyone doing this be very careful on how you remove it and how much pressure you apply. No need to use a screw driver with a paper towel or cellotape over it.

NB. Only hard part was, when you pull out the two rubber seals they are a pig of a job to get back in... here is when you can use your screwdriver with electrical tape over it to push the nubbin back into the hole.

No special tool required otherwise, just an allen key. The lock is quite heavy too so for the performance concious on track days wanting shave weight, this is a good mod.

Quality of product: 9/10 - near perfect paint match just very slightly lighter but barely noticable - grey is a difficult colour to match but I can't see this being a problem with a colour like solid black or le mans blue. Had a can of AU52 (Space Grey) laying around so gave it one more coat and clear coat. Now looks 10/10. Otherwise, the product looks OEM (genuine BMW part) which has just been sprayed by the company.
      06-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
mikeoz
Private First Class

Good job.
Thanks for info
      06-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Viper package was installed yesterday by Antony from SecureMyCar and I couldn't be any happier.

Like Silver Fox said, Antony is a really nice guy and is extremely good at his job. He did everything like it was second nature, very impressed.