E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pads for the Track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Crulexis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

Brake Pads for the Track

What do you guys use as brake pads when your on the track? Do you actually switch out your OEM pads for track pads or do you just find a sensible option that does street/track well...? Also what about rotors I guess I should change those as well..

I was thinking of just getting the Hawk HPS for the track and after getting home switching to OEM... but I appreciate your thoughts considering I have very little expertise with brakes and types of pads...

ALSO, any idea what place to buy these brakes at a good price? Maybe a sponsor can offer me a discount or coupon... I kind of need to order them and get them shipped for pickup this Saturday (going to buffalo) so not sure if i'm too late...
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
408

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag


Posts: 11,397
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
What do you guys use as brake pads when your on the track? Do you actually switch out your OEM pads for track pads or do you just find a sensible option that does street/track well...? Also what about rotors I guess I should change those as well..

I was thinking of just getting the Hawk HPS for the track and after getting home switching to OEM... but I appreciate your thoughts considering I have very little expertise with brakes and types of pads...

ALSO, any idea what place to buy these brakes at a good price? Maybe a sponsor can offer me a discount or coupon... I kind of need to order them and get them shipped for pickup this Saturday (going to buffalo) so not sure if i'm too late...
If you are going to make the switches before and after the track event, you will be much happier with track pads on your track days. Performance Friction makes a great endurance track pad with longer wear than your typical race pad. You don't need to switch rotors as long as you properly bed-in the pads after the switch.

Do NOT use HPS pads on the track, they are not track pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
12

 
Chrisred's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 738
iTrader: (0)

I have a set of rear Endless ME20 track pads for sale that u could use on street also. But they squeak lol

I sold the fronts already. But u can have these for half the price and I just used them for about 12 days before I picked up a BBK for cheap. PM me

Check them out on EAS
__________________
JB4 cp-e IC AMS exhaust BMS DCI AR DP's METH
19" VMR VB3 Stoptech BBK TC KLINE VORSHLAG
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Crulexis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If you are going to make the switches before and after the track event, you will be much happier with track pads on your track days. Performance Friction makes a great endurance track pad with longer wear than your typical race pad. You don't need to switch rotors as long as you properly bed-in the pads after the switch.

Do NOT use HPS pads on the track, they are not track pads.
sorry i'm a bit confused, do I have to "Bed in" the pads everytime I switch track to street and vice versa? OR just when I add the track pads?

Also, do you have a link for those pads you mentioned? Can they be used to get home from the track or not...
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Crulexis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
I have a set of rear Endless ME20 track pads for sale that u could use on street also. But they squeak lol

I sold the fronts already. But u can have these for half the price and I just used them for about 12 days before I picked up a BBK for cheap. PM me

Check them out on EAS

I was hoping to just keep my rears as OEM... Apparently theres no real need to change em even if you have tracks on the front.... If anyone knows otherwise let me know pls ;0
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
sutter2k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Willow Grove, PA


Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Ferodo 2500 make a decent dual purpose pad for light track use
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
2

 
Drives: 335is LM Blue
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond B.C.


Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
sorry i'm a bit confused, do I have to "Bed in" the pads everytime I switch track to street and vice versa? OR just when I add the track pads?

Also, do you have a link for those pads you mentioned? Can they be used to get home from the track or not...
u have to bed in the pads every time u switch to a different pad

n no pls dont use HPS on track, theyre not ment for the track
__________________
335is Le Mans Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Bulgaria
80

 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 4,178
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
I also vote for Performance Friction pads. Make sure you get the revised version with the pad retaining clips or your brakes will clunk all the time and will drive you insane. Ask me how I know...
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Crulexis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I also vote for Performance Friction pads. Make sure you get the revised version with the pad retaining clips or your brakes will clunk all the time and will drive you insane. Ask me how I know...
And how do I know if its the revised version or not... lol
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Bulgaria
80

 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 4,178
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
And how do I know if its the revised version or not... lol
The revised version has retaining clips on the pads. The earlier versions do not have retaining clips.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
408

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag


Posts: 11,397
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I also vote for Performance Friction pads. Make sure you get the revised version with the pad retaining clips or your brakes will clunk all the time and will drive you insane. Ask me how I know...
All PFC08's now come with clips.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
408

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag


Posts: 11,397
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
Ferodo 2500 make a decent dual purpose pad for light track use
Not for the rear, through.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Bulgaria
80

 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 4,178
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
All PFC08's now come with clips.
Well that's good to know! I remember calling PFC directly back in September of 2012 and the sales guy had absolutely no idea what I was talking about....

EDIT: Last April, I bought PFCs 08s from Bimmerworld and they did not have any retaining clips. Great pads and I loved them on the track. Hated them everywhere else because of the constant rattling and clunking.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST