E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > NC cop driving in SC brake checks driver!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
blah...blah...blah...
5. He accelerated quite quickly and was more than likely going over the speed limit. While the cop was out of his jurisdiction, the guy recording was driving in excess of the speed limit, while displaying road rage and the cop has a duty to protect people and this guy wasn't being safe on the road.
So the best way to protect others and the individual that filmed the incident, is to cause a traffic accident with said individual? That's like me saying the best way for me to protect you from having all of your money stolen is to steal all of your money.
__________________
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Nate4641
Captain
 
Nate4641's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Africa

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If its illegal to talk on the phone while driving and illegal to text while driving, simple logic would put recording video with a hand held device in the same boat. Its distracting the driver from the road.

Watch the video again, he was that close and not once can you see the speedo. If you see otherwise give me a time stamp of a clear view of the speedo.

If you read my first post on this I said both are idiots. The cop isn't clean from wrong doing because he is a cop, I never said that. I did however try to argue some points in favor of the cop because it was a way to point out how the guy filming was in the wrong.
__________________
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,461
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post

3. Not once in the video does he show what speed he is doing while stuck behind the officer. The cop could have been doing the speed limit for all we know, its hard to judge speed by just the camera.
The news article posted above explains that the man filming never exceeded the speed limit and that the officer was cited for being at fault in the accident.

Just saying.

"Walton came up on the Onslow County Deputy going eastbound on I-526 in North Charleston, SC. Walton says the deputy was holding up traffic by going 50 mph in the fast line, when the speed limit was 60.

To get around the deputy, Walton says he moved in to the right lane before pulling back into the fast lane. Still recording video, Walton caught the deputy passing on his right, then cutting back in front. That's when the video shows the deputy slamming on his brakes, which caused Walton to rear-end the cruiser.

"That video doesn't lie," Walton told WWAY by phone. "You can see how it happened. You can see the speedometer in the video, where you can see I was going 60 miles an hour."

After the crash, Walton says the deputy, driving car No. 145 that was marked as a K-9 unit, did not pull over, so Walton called 911. Walton says North Charleston Police responded and cited the deputy for being at fault."

Going too slow on the interstate can be dangerous. It tends to create large clumps of traffic.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
JAM3S
Lieutenant
 
JAM3S's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

Posts: 571
iTrader: (0)

I read a news article recently for a woman getting ticketed for going 63 in a 65 in the left lane. So by the same logic the cop was in the wrong and being a power tripping douche.

I would have passed him too.
JAM3S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
I read a news article recently for a woman getting ticketed for going 63 in a 65 in the left lane. So by the same logic the cop was in the wrong and being a power tripping douche.

I would have passed him too.
Here's the ironic thing... the story you're talking about happened in Laurel, MD (not that far from here) and the ticket was dismissed - because the cop was wrong there too.

I mean, he was right - but MD is a bassackward state that doesn't have a decent keep right except to pass law, so the officer was right in every way except legally

Anyone who's ever driven in MD - especially in the counties near DC - can vouch for the fact that that law is desperately needed.
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
Nate4641
Captain
 
Nate4641's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Africa

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The news article posted above explains that the man filming never exceeded the speed limit and that the officer was cited for being at fault in the accident.

Just saying.

"Walton came up on the Onslow County Deputy going eastbound on I-526 in North Charleston, SC. Walton says the deputy was holding up traffic by going 50 mph in the fast line, when the speed limit was 60.

To get around the deputy, Walton says he moved in to the right lane before pulling back into the fast lane. Still recording video, Walton caught the deputy passing on his right, then cutting back in front. That's when the video shows the deputy slamming on his brakes, which caused Walton to rear-end the cruiser.

"That video doesn't lie," Walton told WWAY by phone. "You can see how it happened. You can see the speedometer in the video, where you can see I was going 60 miles an hour."

After the crash, Walton says the deputy, driving car No. 145 that was marked as a K-9 unit, did not pull over, so Walton called 911. Walton says North Charleston Police responded and cited the deputy for being at fault."

Going too slow on the interstate can be dangerous. It tends to create large clumps of traffic.
I still can't see the speedo in the video, but I don't doubt he was going slow and that is wrong. Still Walton did not handle it the best way either and shouldn't be celebrated as a hero for bringing down a cop who has a family and now doesnt have a job.
__________________
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
I still can't see the speedo in the video, but I don't doubt he was going slow and that is wrong. Still Walton did not handle it the best way either and shouldn't be celebrated as a hero for bringing down a cop who has a family and now doesnt have a job.
I agree. None of us know the cop's back story but assuming this is his "first offense" he shouldn't have been demoted to the point that he would have to resign to find other employment.

On the other hand, if this is the cop's third or fourth incident of this nature, then justice has been served.

Either way, jack ass with a cellphone camera is not a hero.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
kihun
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 974
iTrader: (7)

what a jack ass.. im glad this pig resigned.. makes us a lot safer out on the road.
__________________
e92
kihun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I agree. None of us know the cop's back story but assuming this is his "first offense" he shouldn't have been demoted to the point that he would have to resign to find other employment.

On the other hand, if this is the cop's third or fourth incident of this nature, then justice has been served.

Either way, jack ass with a cellphone camera is not a hero.
Are you kidding me? I can't watch that video again because I'll get pissed off all over again.

The guy in the truck would have been either in jail or out on bail awaiting trial if the roles had been reversed. Police should be held to a higher standard of behavior than the general public, not lower. I think that losing his job was fair considering that there are insinuations that the pickup driver "baited" him prior to the video. He's been given a favor by being allowed to resign and not being fired and then charged with vehicular assault.
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
If its illegal to talk on the phone while driving and illegal to text while driving, simple logic would put recording video with a hand held device in the same boat. Its distracting the driver from the road.

Watch the video again, he was that close and not once can you see the speedo. If you see otherwise give me a time stamp of a clear view of the speedo.

If you read my first post on this I said both are idiots. The cop isn't clean from wrong doing because he is a cop, I never said that. I did however try to argue some points in favor of the cop because it was a way to point out how the guy filming was in the wrong.
First, your "simple logic" is poor and incorrect. It is illegal to talk while driving, because it's illegal. Do you not remember WHEN texting became illegal in your state or are you too young to have driven that long ago?

Second watch the video in 1080p, if you can't see the speedo you are blind.


The guy filiming might be wrong to a minor degree, but it's totally overshadowed by the cop. That's like me calling you a name and you shooting me, no one goes "oh well hes an idiot for calling you retarded"
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

I hate O-Cha and wishes he dies with colon cancer, but in this case he's right...


There are too many cops that abuse their powers, acts like hardasses for no reason, and goes on power trip. I'm glad the cop is out of work and off the road, we don't need that shit...dude was probably just having a bad day
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Are you kidding me? I can't watch that video again because I'll get pissed off all over again.

The guy in the truck would have been either in jail or out on bail awaiting trial if the roles had been reversed. Police should be held to a higher standard of behavior than the general public, not lower. I think that losing his job was fair considering that there are insinuations that the pickup driver "baited" him prior to the video. He's been given a favor by being allowed to resign and not being fired and then charged with vehicular assault.
No, not kidding. But i'm not saying he was right either. I'm just saying that if it were his first incident like this he should be reprimanded, had a week's pay withheld and that's that. If it were his 3rd incident of improper professional behavior, then all is good.

I guess i just want people to be tolerant with me should i have a lapse in judgement. Therefore, i'm more tolerant with others when they have their lapse.

And yes, police should be held to a higher standard than us lowly citizens. That doesn't mean they will be exempt from mistakes or that they shouldn't be allowed to make a mistake. They should be held responsible for their mistakes just as the citizens are and then a little more. Not chop off their heads if they spit on the sidewalk.

The ironic part of this is that i bet there isn't hardly anyone on this board that hasn't break checked someone at some point in their lives.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #35
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I hate O-Cha and wishes he dies with colon cancer, but in this case he's right...
What did I ever do to you.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #36
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
The ironic part of this is that i bet there isn't hardly anyone on this board that hasn't break checked someone at some point in their lives.
It not just the brake checking by any means. It's blocking the lane, then when someone finally has the opportunity to safely pass, flying back around them, cutting them off, and brake checking them for no reason. I'm willing to bet most people here have NEVER done that.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
It not just the brake checking by any means. It's blocking the lane, then when someone finally has the opportunity to safely pass, flying back around them, cutting them off, and brake checking them for no reason. I'm willing to bet most people here have NEVER done that.
I've personally seen that happen on public roads several times. I've seen plenty of people get pissed at someone who was tailgating (as the guy in the truck was) and stay next to the car they are driving next to so the tailgater can't pass. If you are going to say this type of stuff doesn't happen then you are just arguing for arguments sake. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Go a head and tailgate me, i love driving under the speed limit".

This same situation happens in the private sector 10,000 times compared to the 1 time a cop did it.

Again, still not saying what the cop did was ok. Just willing to bet that people bashing the cop have brake checked someone.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #38
JAM3S
Lieutenant
 
JAM3S's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

Posts: 571
iTrader: (0)

Dont feel too bad for the cop, he will be a LEO in a different jurisdiction in no time unfortunately.
JAM3S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #39
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
No shit. Damn cops. I hate cops ever since they pulled me over for going 90 in a 55. What an asshole that cop was... That means all cops are idiots, automatically. I mean everyone speeds, so it's ok.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #40
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
No, not kidding. But i'm not saying he was right either. I'm just saying that if it were his first incident like this he should be reprimanded, had a week's pay withheld and that's that.
Did you watch that same video that the rest of us did?

I can't understand the willingness to make allowances for it. I guess maybe I've had my life endangered one too many times by cops to give them any special treatment, as you seem to want to.
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
dreamingat30fps
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boynton Beach

Posts: 890
iTrader: (1)

The cop was completely in the wrong. I don't care if the guy was doing 30 over the speed limit while talking on his phone and jerking off. Pull him over, you do NOT intentionally cause an accident. How anyone can possibly try to justify what this guy did is just ridiculous.
dreamingat30fps is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Funny how so many clowns on this board seem to see so very clearly the fault in others (ie. cop) and are ready to make it into a big deal, but are so ready to excuse their own faults and trivialize them.

That's society for you though, or at least the way it is heading. And its sad.

I agree with MPOWER here - not saying the cop wasn't wrong, but I don't think he deserves to lose his job over one offense, unless this is a repeated thing.

Too many people here suggesting that one lapse in judgement deserves unemployment, yet I'm willing to bet they wouldn't feel the same way every time they have a lapse in judgement. Guess what - you are all part of society, so if its good for him, should be good for you too -next time you make a mistake, presumably you would be rooting for your boss to fire you (or offer you the chance to resign)? Yeah....right. Sure.
Joekerr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #43
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (0)

Again with the reading comprehension.... There seems to be a epidemic of people loosing their reading comprehension skills on this board. Maybe people just skim peoples posts instead of taking the time to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Did you watch that same video that the rest of us did?

I can't understand the willingness to make allowances for it. I guess maybe I've had my life endangered one too many times by cops to give them any special treatment, as you seem to want to.
Yes i did; like Nate, i can't see the guys speedo either, even in 1080. I guess there is something wrong with my monitor. His dash is just black on my computer.

No one here has said the cop should be excused for his actions. Everyone agrees with you that he deserves consequences for his actions.

No one has said he should get special treatment, some of us are for equal treatment. Some others want to stand him in front of a firing squad.

No one wants to make an allowance for his mistakes either. He should be punished for them as you or i would be. He shouldn't have been forced to resign.

I'm interested to know how many times and how have cops endangered your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The cop was completely in the wrong. I don't care if the guy was doing 30 over the speed limit while talking on his phone and jerking off. Pull him over, you do NOT intentionally cause an accident. How anyone can possibly try to justify what this guy did is just ridiculous.
Yes, he was wrong. No one is justifying his actions. Some of us are saying his punishment is not justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Funny how so many clowns on this board seem to see so very clearly the fault in others (ie. cop) and are ready to make it into a big deal, but are so ready to excuse their own faults and trivialize them.

That's society for you though, or at least the way it is heading. And its sad.

I agree with MPOWER here - not saying the cop wasn't wrong, but I don't think he deserves to lose his job over one offense, unless this is a repeated thing.

Too many people here suggesting that one lapse in judgement deserves unemployment, yet I'm willing to bet they wouldn't feel the same way every time they have a lapse in judgement. Guess what - you are all part of society, so if its good for him, should be good for you too -next time you make a mistake, presumably you would be rooting for your boss to fire you (or offer you the chance to resign)? Yeah....right. Sure.
Everyone wants to be judge and jury over everyone's business but their own anymore.


Seriously this thread feels like a few people trying to disperse a posse that's out for a hanging......
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

Those that say the cop doesn't deserve to lose his job is not thinking clearly. Put yourself in the driver (guy taping) shoes...and you had your wife that's about to have a baby and i rushing her to the hospital. This asshole cop who obviously is having a bad day decide to block you in and THEN put you and your wife in danger by cutting you off so close and slamming your brake. What if you panicked and swerved and hit like 5 other cars while at it and your wife dies and loses the baby. Murphy's law, it could happen.


In this case it is not as bad, but it could've been much much worse. The cop is clearly not fit psychologically to be a cop. You can't lose your cool like that, you are armed with weapons and the law on your side. What if the guy wasn't taping the incident, the cop can just say the driver was being reckless and the cop had to do what he did to neutralize the situation. Who will the judge believe? duhhh
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST