E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track Brake Pads



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Track Brake Pads

What do you guys use as brake pads when your on the track? Do you actually switch out your OEM pads for track pads or do you just find a sensible option that does street/track well...? Also what about rotors I guess I should change those as well..

I was thinking of just getting the Hawk HPS for the track and after getting home switching to OEM... but I appreciate your thoughts considering I have very little expertise with brakes and types of pads...

ALSO, any idea what place to buy these brakes at a good price? Maybe a sponsor can offer me a discount or coupon... I kind of need to order them and get them shipped for pickup this Saturday (going to buffalo) so not sure if i'm too late...
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Pfc 08, ogracing has best prices hands down. Hawk hps blow. Separate rotors are ideal but not needed -- just make sure to bed in pads properly if anything.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
will.c
Lieutenant
will.c's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
588
Posts

 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

iTrader: (5)

From personal experimentation and conclusion, I recommend PFC 01 and new front rotors. Bestbrakes.com for the pads and tirerack.com for cheapest blank Centric rotors.

Why new front? As they say, any potential problem unveils itself at the track. If you have any type of small warping in the rotors now (even the ones you don't feel on the street), it WILL show up and destroy your braking consistency, ruining your weekend. I recommend it, but it's your call.

The Z4 dude above said PFC 08, and I think it might work for the heavy E92, but I don't have personal exp to back it up. I can def tell that 08 is quiet on the street, so you can DD it, but I know 01 works well for E92 as a fact, and it's got more torque. Loud as hell though.

Also, flush your fluids with RBF600 or Super Blue.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
From personal experimentation and conclusion, I recommend PFC 01 and new front rotors. Bestbrakes.com for the pads and tirerack.com for cheapest blank Centric rotors.

Why new front? As they say, any potential problem unveils itself at the track. If you have any type of small warping in the rotors now (even the ones you don't feel on the street), it WILL show up and destroy your braking consistency, ruining your weekend. I recommend it, but it's your call.

The Z4 dude above said PFC 08, and I think it might work for the heavy E92, but I don't have personal exp to back it up. I can def tell that 08 is quiet on the street, so you can DD it, but I know 01 works well for E92 as a fact, and it's got more torque. Loud as hell though.

Also, flush your fluids with RBF600 or Super Blue.
01's are better for sure, just be prepared to go through rotors frequently.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
From personal experimentation and conclusion, I recommend PFC 01 and new front rotors. Bestbrakes.com for the pads and tirerack.com for cheapest blank Centric rotors.

Why new front? As they say, any potential problem unveils itself at the track. If you have any type of small warping in the rotors now (even the ones you don't feel on the street), it WILL show up and destroy your braking consistency, ruining your weekend. I recommend it, but it's your call.

The Z4 dude above said PFC 08, and I think it might work for the heavy E92, but I don't have personal exp to back it up. I can def tell that 08 is quiet on the street, so you can DD it, but I know 01 works well for E92 as a fact, and it's got more torque. Loud as hell though.

Also, flush your fluids with RBF600 or Super Blue.
The question now is, Can I use PFC 01 as a street pad after the track? AND is it ok to keep my OEM Pads in the back or do they also have to be changed...
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
01's are better for sure, just be prepared to go through rotors frequently.
..

How frequently would you say? Will I have to keep 2 sets of rotors, one for track and other for street? And switch em out everytime
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
From personal experimentation and conclusion, I recommend PFC 01 and new front rotors. Bestbrakes.com for the pads and tirerack.com for cheapest blank Centric rotors.

Why new front? As they say, any potential problem unveils itself at the track. If you have any type of small warping in the rotors now (even the ones you don't feel on the street), it WILL show up and destroy your braking consistency, ruining your weekend. I recommend it, but it's your call.

The Z4 dude above said PFC 08, and I think it might work for the heavy E92, but I don't have personal exp to back it up. I can def tell that 08 is quiet on the street, so you can DD it, but I know 01 works well for E92 as a fact, and it's got more torque. Loud as hell though.

Also, flush your fluids with RBF600 or Super Blue.

I was on tirerack.. which Rotors am I supposed to get, it seems I have 3 options between the plain ones.


1/ Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors

2/ Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor

3/ Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Cryo Treated Rotor

Will these rotors be the same size as the one's I currently have on my 335i, considering I have the sport package?
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
I was on tirerack.. which Rotors am I supposed to get, it seems I have 3 options between the plain ones.


1/ Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors

2/ Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor

3/ Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Cryo Treated Rotor

Will these rotors be the same size as the one's I currently have on my 335i, considering I have the sport package?
If you're buying a separate rotors and pads for street and track, I'd go cheapest rotors for track. But if the price between the 3 are pretty close, may as well go for the cryo. Yes, sizes will be the same as oem.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
If you're buying a separate rotors and pads for street and track, I'd go cheapest rotors for track. But if the price between the 3 are pretty close, may as well go for the cryo. Yes, sizes will be the same as oem.
Thanks! Do you recommend I get separate rotors for track and street?
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
Thanks! Do you recommend I get separate rotors for track and street?
It comes down to budget. Whether you buy 2 sets of rotors and make it last 12 months or 1 set of rotors and buy every 6 months, really doesn't make a difference, right? The benefit of having a 2nd set of rotors though is that you you don't need to re-bed your pads every time. If you kept the same rotors for track and street, you might even have trouble removing the layer of pad deposit left from track pads and re-bedding your street pads.

What I used to do was run PFC Z-rated street pads for street, and PFC 06's for track, but only had 1 set of rotors. The 2 pads had enough similar compound where I didn't have to bed in my pads.

Assuming your track and street pads are of different compounds/makes, and you can afford to buy 2nd set of cheap blanks, yes it would make your life somewhat easier. But if you only see yourself doing 1-3 events per year, I wouldn't bother lol.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Crulexis's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
If you're buying a separate rotors and pads for street and track, I'd go cheapest rotors for track. But if the price between the 3 are pretty close, may as well go for the cryo. Yes, sizes will be the same as oem.
Thanks a lot, and sorry this is the last question... Is it ok to keep my OEM Rear pads and just switch the front to street / track...? Considering we do most of the braking using the fronts.. or will this make braking very uneven and jittery
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
Thanks a lot, and sorry this is the last question... Is it ok to keep my OEM Rear pads and just switch the front to street / track...? Considering we do most of the braking using the fronts.. or will this make braking very uneven and jittery
Always go same pads on all 4 corners, or maybe go more bite in the rears to shift the bias.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
johmei
Private First Class
johmei's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
148
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i FBO COBB
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (1)

I am looking to get PFC 08's for the front and staying with the Stoptechs in the rear as my brake shop said there are no rear PFC 08 pads for the E9X. He says that OEM pads in the rear is fine but I'm not sure. When cold the rear will have better initial bite but hot, nothing. Then comes the question regarding getting rotors or not.. will probably stick with the OEM rotors for a while. How hard is it to get the PFC transfer layer off with a regular bedding procedure?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,593
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmei View Post
I am looking to get PFC 08's for the front and staying with the Stoptechs in the rear as my brake shop said there are no rear PFC 08 pads for the E9X. He says that OEM pads in the rear is fine but I'm not sure. When cold the rear will have better initial bite but hot, nothing. Then comes the question regarding getting rotors or not.. will probably stick with the OEM rotors for a while. How hard is it to get the PFC transfer layer off with a regular bedding procedure?
Don't know how hard it is but why not go 01's in the rear?
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
will.c
Lieutenant
will.c's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
588
Posts

 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

iTrader: (5)

From what I gather here, here's what I recommend:

1) buy cheapest front rotors (Centric 120).

2) buy all four pads of same kind (if available), e.g. PFC 01/06/08. There's a post from a renowned member here who described how maintaining the brake bias will stabilize braking and reduce overheating.

3) if the old front rotors still have good life, re-surface (aka "cut") them and have those as spares. (you will have to find a shop that is willing to do that. ~$20/piece)

4) drive with those track pads on the street and see if you can live with:
- low initial bite when cold (MUCH lower than the OEM pads);
- noise: mindless soccer moms yelling at you that you need brakes at intersections.

5) if you can't stand it, just re-install your street front pads (and keep rear track pads) and see if this is okay. Still keep the "track" rotors on because it's a little more pain to replace them than just pads.

Even with track pads, you shouldn't have to replace the rotors so often. Maybe once a year as opposed to once every 2-3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
will.c
Lieutenant
will.c's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
588
Posts

 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

iTrader: (5)

Speaking of, I'm actually selling my front PFC 01s pretty cheap for fellow forum members

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811273
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Why is it so impossible to find rear pads for the 335? Where is everybody buying their rear track pads?

I've read that the E46 M3, E46 330, and E90 335 all share the same rear brake pad. Is this true? Pad shape 548...
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |

Last edited by akotten; 04-24-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

No one?

Seems like the E46 M3's rear pads are close enough. I'm going to try a set of Hawk Blue's using the E46 rear pad and the normal 335 front.

(E90 335 pad on left, E46 M3 pad on right, both rears)
Attached Images
  
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,480
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

PFC-01 in the rear and PFC-08 in the front is not ideal, the 01 compound has more initial bite and torque compared to 08 and you would essentially shift the bias rearward. Unless you're an experienced track driver this combination may produce unexpected result. I'd go all PFC-01 if that's the only one available in the rear.

High carbon rotors are harder and last longer, but for track use may not be ideal unless you have a relatively light car with excellent brake cooling to keep operating temps within range. Otherwise the rapid super heating of rotor and cooling off cycle will crack the high carbon iron due to the brittleness of its metallurgy.

Those rear pads look NOTHING alike and are not interchangeable. Look at the mounting hardware on the tabs on the backing plate.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
PFC-01 in the rear and PFC-08 in the front is not ideal, the 01 compound has more initial bite and torque compared to 08 and you would essentially shift the bias rearward. Unless you're an experienced track driver this combination may produce unexpected result. I'd go all PFC-01 if that's the only one available in the rear.

High carbon rotors are harder and last longer, but for track use may not be ideal unless you have a relatively light car with excellent brake cooling to keep operating temps within range. Otherwise the rapid super heating of rotor and cooling off cycle will crack the high carbon iron due to the brittleness of its metallurgy.

Those rear pads look NOTHING alike and are not interchangeable. Look at the mounting hardware on the tabs on the backing plate.
I'm thinking they might just need a little modification to fit...they're actually pretty close. I guess we'll see. I may look into retrofitting a different rear caliper instead.
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |

Last edited by akotten; 04-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
65
Rep
3,642
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)



I want to do a PAD ONLY swap for HPDE...does PFC 01 still fit the bill?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,480
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
I'm thinking they might just need a little modification to fit...they're actually pretty close. I guess we'll see. I may look into retrofitting a different rear caliper instead.
No. They're going to require MAJOR modification to fit, and even if and when they fit, you have to keep in mind that those little ears that you're shaving off? They're what the calipers slide on. If you don't have them machined right, they'll either bind or be too loose and rattle like crazy.

You want to try and modify them to fit? Your prerogative. I wouldn't. Not unless I have access to a machine shop and willing to throw away a set of $200 pads when they mess up.

Believe you me. That exact scenario happened to me, and all I did was try to modify a set of pads for the rear of my MZ4 Coupe, which DOES use the same exact pads as the E46 M3 rear. $200 set of rear pads down the drain.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST