E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > autox help needed



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Icyjaws
New Member
2
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: S NJ

iTrader: (0)

autox help needed

So just got back from my first time in my e90 335i ( and my first autox in over ten yrs last time was my 92mr2-t very diff car) sooo I did poorly alteast in my mind. I'm you "average" enthusiast but still should have done better I think atleast so alittle run down on what happened at the sjscca in AC
they ran me in asp because I have a jb4.
very slow first run to learn course/car got better every run from there . never got as "fast" as I thought I should do ~70s fastest was 74.xx so besides driver being better (which I know can happen) and not being used to driving a pig compared to what im used to.
do you guys run with the dtc on? figured it be faster and let me slide around alittle but didn't run with it on was working on other things.
secondly I have the slap stick auto I know I put it in 2nd like 15 sec into run but noticed my last 2 run I was in 3rd at line? I assume I must have hit it into 3rd but that doesn't seem possible so perplexed about it.
any ideas beside better tires and "learn to drive" would be helpful
hopefully only running bimmer 1 or 2 more events before mr2 is ready
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
bNks334
Captain
bNks334's Avatar
221
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyjaws View Post
So just got back from my first time in my e90 335i ( and my first autox in over ten yrs last time was my 92mr2-t very diff car) sooo I did poorly alteast in my mind. I'm you "average" enthusiast but still should have done better I think atleast so alittle run down on what happened at the sjscca in AC
they ran me in asp because I have a jb4.
very slow first run to learn course/car got better every run from there . never got as "fast" as I thought I should do ~70s fastest was 74.xx so besides driver being better (which I know can happen) and not being used to driving a pig compared to what im used to.
do you guys run with the dtc on? figured it be faster and let me slide around alittle but didn't run with it on was working on other things.
secondly I have the slap stick auto I know I put it in 2nd like 15 sec into run but noticed my last 2 run I was in 3rd at line? I assume I must have hit it into 3rd but that doesn't seem possible so perplexed about it.
any ideas beside better tires and "learn to drive" would be helpful
hopefully only running bimmer 1 or 2 more events before mr2 is ready
Auto-x is literally all driver lol There are base model Toyota Camry's out there that run good times. Shit, there was a station wagon that threw down faster times than my 135i at the event I went to yesterday.

I run with traction control all the way off (hold it down for 5 seconds). The car will plow if you leave it on. A high hp RWD car needs to be able to throttle steer and DSC prevents you from doing that. Be careful though as you can easily power over-steer and spin the car. Start slow and build speed until you're comfortable.
__________________
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, Deka ETX30L, UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack
Appreciate 1
feuer1219

      05-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Colonel
Antetokounmpo's Avatar
United_States
682
Rep
2,788
Posts

Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: WI

iTrader: (3)

I would also suggest turning jb4 off so you can run in FS (or whatever street class you'd be in), you won't lose much time at all (definitely less than a second) and you'll be way more competitive.
__________________

Bilstein | Eibach | Hawk HPS | Stoptech 600
Apex Arc-8 | Bridgestone RE-71R 255 Square | LM-32 225 Sq.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
GATORB8's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
695
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.75]
Seat time and learning to move the car's weight around has certainly been the most helpful for me.

I run with TC all the way off as bNks334 said.

I haven't run in SCCA, but from the guys I've spoken with, they have fewer runs than the local clubs. Our BMW club gets 8 or so runs in a day, the Miata club got 20 when I went. I would recommend tracking down one of the experienced guys at one of your local clubs and doing course walks and having him ride along.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Icyjaws
New Member
2
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: S NJ

iTrader: (0)

we got 5 runs in which I was happy with considering we had about 90 cars out there this wkend. Ill try the next event with TC totally off and more seat time should help also. thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
HerrGruyere
Private
5
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Shit, there was a station wagon that threw down faster times than my 135i at the event I went to yesterday.
Was it me?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
bNks334
Captain
bNks334's Avatar
221
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGruyere View Post
Was it me?
No not even. It was a SAAB lol
__________________
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, Deka ETX30L, UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack
Appreciate 1
feuer1219

      05-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
HerrGruyere
Private
5
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Ha! I'm guessing one of the WRX-type ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
E30_335i
Second Lieutenant
E30_335i's Avatar
107
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Huntsville, AL

iTrader: (0)

Traction and DSC off. Pull to the line, shift it to M1, never touch it again. Just let it do its thing on course. Fastest way to run the Steptronic. FS is your only hope. Even FS is tough against a Camaro SS with limited slip.

__________________
2011 335i Sport, M3 control arms front/rear, ECS Tuning rear trailing arms, Bilstein HD's, StopTech BBK, Drexel LSD, Dinan camber plates, FBO's with Cobb Stage 2 tune, Corsa exhaust, 18x9 D-Force, 255/35 R-S4's
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7348/27630930216_573ce3d512_m.jpg
Appreciate 1
feuer1219

      05-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
bNks334
Captain
bNks334's Avatar
221
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_335i View Post
Traction and DSC off. Pull to the line, shift it to M1, never touch it again. Just let it do its thing on course. Fastest way to run the Steptronic. FS is your only hope. Even FS is tough against a Camaro SS with limited slip.

That looks awesome! The events here are lame in comparison. Tiny lots with crumbling dirty pavement. The NY chapters aren't doing a good enough job. I was bored at the last event. All they could manage was a 23 second course.
__________________
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, Deka ETX30L, UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST