E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Seat Creak/Squeak - Solution

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Seat Creak/Squeak - Solution
Published by Mike@N54Tuning.com
11-27-2009
Seat Creak/Squeak - Solution

Just wanted to give you guys a little update and hopefully a solution for this problem I have seen come up over and over again, and had the pleasure of experiencing just recently.

FRONT SEAT CREAK/SQUEAK or whatever else you can call it.

I have found that the common seat creak comes from the plastic pieces rubbing up against the leather or other parts of the seat and from the springs of either side of the bottom bolsters.

Things you need to buy

Silicone Lube - Protects rubber mouldings and weather-stripping. Prevents sticking and corrosion. Stops squeaks.

Solution

1) Move seat all the way up and to the front and put the back rest all the way down. This way you have access to under the seat.

2) Have a towel or rag handy and spray all the seams where the leather meets the plastic trim, and remove any excess overspray.

3) Spray into the sides of the bolster where you should see springs holding the seat covers to the frame. Spray a generous amount here as this is where I believe most of the noise comes from

4) Spray under the seats on the hinges that move the seat up and on the rails

5) Move seat back

My seats creaked and squeaked like crazy to the point it made driving unpleasant and I can say happily that after 3-4 days not a sound. Obviously your mileage may vary but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Silicone Lube I used wasn't greasy or didn't leave any odour in the car so it was perfect. I imagine I will have to reapply a few times a year but thats okay

Mike
Attached Images

By Oulixes on 11-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a little update and hopefully a solution for this problem I have seen come up over and over again, and had the pleasure of experiencing just recently.

FRONT SEAT CREAK/SQUEAK or whatever else you can call it.

I have found that the common seat creak comes from the plastic pieces rubbing up against the leather or other parts of the seat and from the springs of either side of the bottom bolsters.

Things you need to buy

Silicone Lube - Protects rubber mouldings and weather-stripping. Prevents sticking and corrosion. Stops squeaks.

Solution

1) Move seat all the way up and to the front and put the back rest all the way down. This way you have access to under the seat.

2) Have a towel or rag handy and spray all the seams where the leather meets the plastic trim, and remove any excess overspray.

3) Spray into the sides of the bolster where you should see springs holding the seat covers to the frame. Spray a generous amount here as this is where I believe most of the noise comes from

4) Spray under the seats on the hinges that move the seat up and on the rails

5) Move seat back

My seats creaked and squeaked like crazy to the point it made driving unpleasant and I can say happily that after 3-4 days not a sound. Obviously your mileage may vary but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Silicone Lube I used wasn't greasy or didn't leave any odour in the car so it was perfect. I imagine I will have to reapply a few times a year but thats okay

Mike
Thanks Mike, I shall use your treatment to silence my seat.
By Mike@N54Tuning.com on 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
Thanks Mike, I shall use your treatment to silence my seat.
Let me know if it works, as if a few people try it and it really works well we should make this a sticky so people can reference it.

Mike
By Oulixes on 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Let me know if it works, as if a few people try it and it really works well we should make this a sticky so people can reference it.

Mike
I'll let you know. I'll try when the rain stops. I have a garage, but the seat usually does not creak so badly in the wet.
By Neutrino45 on 11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tip!
By Oulixes on 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Quote:

Mike
I used your treatment of the seat yesterday and so far it has been working quite well - no noise and no stains. I will report again after a few weeks, but the lube is so simple to reapply that the longevity does not matter much.
By I335 on 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't understand the part about putting the back rest all the way down. Do you mean fully recline the seat? What exactly does that give you access to?
By dimabimmer on 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Go to Gym and loose 50lbs...problem solved.
By klaudio on 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
can you post some pics please!!
By Mike@N54Tuning.com on 12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I don't understand the part about putting the back rest all the way down. Do you mean fully recline the seat? What exactly does that give you access to?
Just put the seat all the way down to the back as if you were going to lay down.

Mike
By salcoco on 07-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I am having a similar problem in my 07 335i. It's definitely more of a creaking sound (as opposed to a squeak), and I'm pretty sure the source of the sound is underneath the driver's seat. I hear it when I either lean back in the seat, and sometimes when I lean forward.

I will try Mike's proposed solution posted above, and post a reply with my results.
By FlyingHorse on 07-31-2010, 11:48 PM
My temporary solution is to squeeze the plastic piece (where the memory buttons are) and it keeps quiet for about a day. I need to try this out, my seats creak like hell whenever my left foot pressing the clutch. Thanks Mike.
By VincentO on 08-04-2010, 02:26 AM
LOL. I have my back seat that squeaks often. In fact, i shall try this remedy out and let you know how it goes
By edelossantos on 08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 100%
It Works!

My front passenger seat would creak anytime you would come to a stop and then accelerate (when there was a passenger sitting). It drove me nuts! I tried this fix this morning and it worked.
By MrDummy on 09-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I found out i have the notorious rear deck lid squeek/rattle and not only the seats.
By NoQuarter on 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
My first 2 E60's my SA fixed the seat creak for me by inserting some felt padding into the plastic side trim that contains the buttons.

On my third E60, out of warranty, I was on my own, so I partially removed the side trim and inserted some felt I purchased from a fabric store into the rear area where the hinge is.

Permanent solution with no worries about silicone ruining my leather.
By Mahhvinn on 03-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the tip, Mike!
By thatg on 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey my creaky seat is driving me nuts. Could any post a picture of where they applied their lubricant and what they used. Would wd-40 be sufficient?
Comment