E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Slight differences between 330i and 335xi water pump replacement

03-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
400hporbust
beantown256

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Slight differences between 330i and 335xi water pump replacement

So ironically, my water pump and my friend's water pump both died on the same day, and pretty much at the same milage (mine is at 103k and his is at 105k). He owns a 2006 330i, and I have an E92 2008 335xi. We have another close friend that has a shop, so we were able to use his lift and bang out both of them yesterday. I just thought I'd share some of our observations since the electric water pumps for this car seems to be a common problem. I only regret that I didn't take any pictures :-/

We started with mine. We found that the 335xi was considerably more difficult. While it looked rather similar to his, the small differences made big time differences. Obviously the intercooler took up space and made things a bit tighter. The sway bar also does not swing down quite as easily on the 335 as it did on the 330. You really have to finagle it out carefully past the power steering hose and the radiator lines without breaking the plastic radiator lines. Furthermore, it makes things INCREDIBLY easier to get to a few of the hoses if you take the front passenger wheel off. All said and done, the 335 took about 5 hours.

We then moved on to his. Again, the 330i was much easier. The sway bar easily swings down when you unbolt the brackets, and the power steering hose easily moves to the side as well. Removing the front passenger wheel made things easier on this car as well, but it wasn't quite as necessary as with the 335. While the pump and thermostat both had the same amount of connections, the connections on the 330 were angled in such a way that was a bit easier and made a big difference. All said and done it took only 2 hours. Of course, I'm sure some of the quickness for the second one had to do with us being more familiarized after the first one, but it definitely was easier. If anyone has any questions how to do the job or whatnot feel free to post them or PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
400hporbust is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
nukezero
Major

Drives: '09 335I Cpe

i believe the job is harder on the xi as well than it is on the i, but somebody correct me. I heard the xi is harder due to the extra drivetrain and more cramped space. Although, the 330 is still easier than the 335i/xi.
      06-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
OldToby

Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

I have to say that 400hporbust is like a god to me. My 335xi water pump failed in the middle of Montana last week, stranding the car in beautiful Drummond while I rented a car in Butte to return home and spend this last week ordering parts and reading posts about the replacement project. I drove back to Drummond yesterday, thinking this was a swap I could do even with my limited mechanical experience/aptitude. Let me tell you, I despaired when I started trying to remove the thermostat and pump, having dropped the plastic shield and skid plate, the sway bar and lines, because there was absolutely NO WAY I could get to all the hoses and clamps. Couldn't even see them. I was completely demoralized and getting ready to arrange a $500 transport of the car back to a shop in Spokane, when I ran across this post. Maybe other posts I'd read mentioned removing the passenger side front wheel/tire, but this post actually got through to me. I removed the wheel/tire and was able, with much contortion of body and limbs, to get the offending parts out and the new parts in. Took me a good 8 hours, but I just now got back home, driving my beloved car 400 miles in 90 degree-plus temps at 85 MPH (at least for the Montana part of the trip) with absolutely no problems. So THANK YOU, 400hporbust! I owe you one....
      06-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
shata
Captain

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya cooling system isnt easy diy but its "fun". The more you DIY the more confident you get with diy'in. Hell I can break down car in like 15min to coils with trouble ive had there. Replaced one...then another went so I replaced them all.

Good luck with pumps!
      08-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
400hporbust
beantown256

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Glad to hear it helped someone OldToby! So did you do it without a lift too? That must have been one major PIA!
400hporbust is offline   United_States
      02-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
avenger2540
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400hporbust View Post
So ironically, my water pump and my friend's water pump both died on the same day, and pretty much at the same milage (mine is at 103k and his is at 105k). He owns a 2006 330i, and I have an E92 2008 335xi. We have another close friend that has a shop, so we were able to use his lift and bang out both of them yesterday. I just thought I'd share some of our observations since the electric water pumps for this car seems to be a common problem. I only regret that I didn't take any pictures :-/

We started with mine. We found that the 335xi was considerably more difficult. While it looked rather similar to his, the small differences made big time differences. Obviously the intercooler took up space and made things a bit tighter. The sway bar also does not swing down quite as easily on the 335 as it did on the 330. You really have to finagle it out carefully past the power steering hose and the radiator lines without breaking the plastic radiator lines. Furthermore, it makes things INCREDIBLY easier to get to a few of the hoses if you take the front passenger wheel off. All said and done, the 335 took about 5 hours.

We then moved on to his. Again, the 330i was much easier. The sway bar easily swings down when you unbolt the brackets, and the power steering hose easily moves to the side as well. Removing the front passenger wheel made things easier on this car as well, but it wasn't quite as necessary as with the 335. While the pump and thermostat both had the same amount of connections, the connections on the 330 were angled in such a way that was a bit easier and made a big difference. All said and done it took only 2 hours. Of course, I'm sure some of the quickness for the second one had to do with us being more familiarized after the first one, but it definitely was easier. If anyone has any questions how to do the job or whatnot feel free to post them or PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
Man thanks for the input,,, I am working on my, and I watch a video from Bavarian auto, and man I was thinking, this is easy, when I open my xi,,, oh man,,, totally diferent then the one in the video I was, man this is going to be a nightmare,,, I allready start, I disconnect one side of the sway bar to see if I am able to pulling it down but still the braket is in the way so am going to disconect the other side of the sway bar and remove it out of the car,,, and that radiator hose is a pain in the neck,,, but thanks for the input on the pass side wheel to remove the hoses because from the bottom I cant see any of them no even the electrical wire for the pump, I can see the one for the thermostat but no the one for the pump,,, and the mounting bolts look like that they going to be hard to pull it out,,, another thing is the I am on ramp witch make things harder,,, and now here start to rain,,, even harder, the temp here was warm witch was great to do the job, but now with the rain am screw,,, if u got anything alse that may help it will be nice,,, thanks man...
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
      02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
avenger2540
First Lieutenant

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Are u able to pull anything from the pass side wheel or just disconect the hoses?
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
      02-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
avenger2540
First Lieutenant

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToby View Post
I have to say that 400hporbust is like a god to me. My 335xi water pump failed in the middle of Montana last week, stranding the car in beautiful Drummond while I rented a car in Butte to return home and spend this last week ordering parts and reading posts about the replacement project. I drove back to Drummond yesterday, thinking this was a swap I could do even with my limited mechanical experience/aptitude. Let me tell you, I despaired when I started trying to remove the thermostat and pump, having dropped the plastic shield and skid plate, the sway bar and lines, because there was absolutely NO WAY I could get to all the hoses and clamps. Couldn't even see them. I was completely demoralized and getting ready to arrange a $500 transport of the car back to a shop in Spokane, when I ran across this post. Maybe other posts I'd read mentioned removing the passenger side front wheel/tire, but this post actually got through to me. I removed the wheel/tire and was able, with much contortion of body and limbs, to get the offending parts out and the new parts in. Took me a good 8 hours, but I just now got back home, driving my beloved car 400 miles in 90 degree-plus temps at 85 MPH (at least for the Montana part of the trip) with absolutely no problems. So THANK YOU, 400hporbust! I owe you one....
Hi, do u get the parts out of the pass side wheel base? please let me know and anything alse I need to know thanks...
      02-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
avenger2540
First Lieutenant

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
I see, everything needs to be pull out from the front,,, now on the xi, the thermostat needs to be pull out first,,, witch I did already, now do the xi have 3 mounting bolts or only 2 because I cant see the third one, please let me know asap thank u guys this post was big help for me doing this job my self...
      02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
avenger2540
First Lieutenant

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Well I just finish pulling out the old stuff it was really hard but not imposible,,, and thanks to you guys input in this post, if wasnt of your help, like the input of pulling out the pass side wheel it will be imposible to disconect everything,,, I know now on the xi man with have to remove alot of pcs in order to get to the thermostat water pump and hoses,,, I will continue tomorrow, when I get the new pcs, will see how the replacement came out, I will keep posting and let u guys know...
      03-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
Miller335
Captain

Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToby View Post
Wow, what an "adventure". You have mucho gusto my friend.
      03-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
MentegoE90
First Lieutenant

Drives: bmw e90

Doesn't sound like fun. I can do my e36 water pump in 25 minutes with the thermostat. Only thing that takes long on the e36 is the bleeding procedure. 30 minutes min on these cars.