E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Misfire due to low fuel?

03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
bigdave196

Drives: E90 08 320i Edition MSport

Misfire due to low fuel?

My car has been in the stealers twice in as many weeks for rough idle and hesitation under acceleration and occasional misfiring. Being a 320i this lead me to believe it was the coil issue again as it's the same symptoms as the last time it happened (even though it's already had all the coils replaced under the recall).

The first time they had it they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, there weren't any error codes and to take it back and see if the problem still occurs.

Sunday I was driving back from my girlfriend's, just come off the motorway and it starts rattling like a bag of hammers and goes into limp mode, so I arranged to get it seen to today.

They've just called and told me that there was an error code for misfire on cylinder 4 and a code for low fuel, therefore the misfire was caused by the low fuel. This sounds like a bullshit excuse to me. Granted, the low fuel light had just come on just before the misfire, but it's been running poor regardless of the amount of fuel in it for the past few weeks.

Has anyone ever heard of a misfire being caused by low fuel?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Sounds like bollocks. When low fuel comes on you probably still have 10 litres. This is however a BMW dealer you are talking to, so it is actually a feature that all their cars go into limp home mode when the low fuel indicator comes on.

When were your spark plugs last changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
john-vfr
spender of the kids inheritance
United Kingdom

Drives: 2009 BMW 320d touring

They are about to tell you it's crap in the tank thats been sucked up because you let the fuel get too low. This is b.ll..ks because the pickup pipe does not reach the bottom of the tank and sediment (if any)should not be drawn up. Its something else...coils or plugs probably.
Appreciate 0