E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > North Korea



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #45
peterg1965
Brigadier General
peterg1965's Avatar
United Kingdom
58
Rep
4,138
Posts

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
It seems clear to me that it's expedient for the west to have a North Korea in the world. Just consider for a moment all the scary headline news stories over the past couple of days regarding NK. Now today, what should be headlining the BBC news page? An article by our PM in the Telegraph saying how we must keep our nuclear deterrent. Umm, I could be wrong, but I suspect that article was penned sometime before the NK stories of the last couple of days. If people perceived the world to be peaceful, there would be less support for keeping our nuclear deterrent.

In the past, it's been convenient to have Sadam in Iraq, and Gadafi in Libya. Now that they're gone, NK is the enemy of choice for the west, after all we must have enemies, otherwise large chunks of our defence industry would be pointless.
You are wrong. It has nothing to do with NK, the timing of PM's statement is entirely coincidental.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #46
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post

In the past, it's been convenient to have Sadam in Iraq, and Gadafi in Libya. Now that they're gone, NK is the enemy of choice for the west, after all we must have enemies, otherwise large chunks of our defence industry would be pointless.
Convenient? Tell that to the families of the dead servicemen.
Enemy of choice?? NK is 'led' by a madman who is threatening nuclear attacks, and who has a proven nuclear capability. Should that just be ignored then?
Perhaps if we bury out heads in the sand and get rid of our defence assets and industry everything will go away and we can all live in a big peaceful fluffy world.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #47
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
111
Rep
6,848
Posts

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Christ I've avoided this thread till now. There are some prize idiots about eh?

It's convenient to have a psychopathic fascist dictator threatening the free world with a nuclear apocolypse because we can therefore continue to keep a couple of subs in operation? What the hell are you smoking !!!!

Dave
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #48
Guvernator
Captain
10
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

My post was slightly tongue in cheek but provoked the exact kind of reaction I expected. This might come as a huge shock to some but what you are spoon fed by the media about what goes in the world is very far from the truth and there is far more going on under the surface then is let on.

Believing that the US doesn't have a long term game plan and that this little flare up in "evil" NK isn't being used to their advantage in some way is naive in the extreme.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #49
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
21
Rep
1,023
Posts

Drives: e93 M3 Convertible!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bromley, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Convenient? Tell that to the families of the dead servicemen.
Enemy of choice?? NK is 'led' by a madman who is threatening nuclear attacks, and who has a proven nuclear capability. Should that just be ignored then?
Perhaps if we bury out heads in the sand and get rid of our defence assets and industry everything will go away and we can all live in a big peaceful fluffy world.
Heck, I'm in no way intending to belittle the sacrifice of our armed services! I'm merely suggesting that things aren't always what they seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Christ I've avoided this thread till now. There are some prize idiots about eh?

It's convenient to have a psychopathic fascist dictator threatening the free world with a nuclear apocolypse because we can therefore continue to keep a couple of subs in operation? What the hell are you smoking !!!!

Dave
Never smoked Dave (maybe that's the problem!). Of course you may well be right that the NK leader is just a psychopathic fascist dictator hell bent on a nuclear apocolypse - but then we only have our governments and media outlets view on that, and right now having NK at the top of the headlines rather than the financial crisis is appealing to our government(s). That's all I'm saying.
__________________
It's arrived, e93 M3 Convertible: M-DCT, JzB / extended BB, and most of the options.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #50
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
21
Rep
1,023
Posts

Drives: e93 M3 Convertible!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bromley, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
My post was slightly tongue in cheek but provoked the exact kind of reaction I expected. This might come as a huge shock to some but what you are spoon fed by the media about what goes in the world is very far from the truth and there is far more going on under the surface then is let on.

Believing that the US doesn't have a long term game plan and that this little flare up in "evil" NK isn't being used to their advantage in some way is naive in the extreme.
+1
__________________
It's arrived, e93 M3 Convertible: M-DCT, JzB / extended BB, and most of the options.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #51
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
87
Rep
5,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Ah, the more educated and perceptive among us, who have probably never set foot in the place, speak out.

Yes, it's all orchestrated by the CIA, Kim is a really nice bloke, there are no gulags or starvation in DPRK but morons like us in the west lap up everything our media and intelligence services tell us.

Just as well there are a few who can see through the CIA smokescreen and tell the rest of us dumb followers what is really going on.

As you obviously know what they [the US] will gain by this; what their advantage is, perhaps you'd be good enought to share that with those less enlightened.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #52
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
21
Rep
1,023
Posts

Drives: e93 M3 Convertible!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bromley, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Ah, the more educated and perceptive among us, who have probably never set foot in the place, speak out.

Yes, it's all orchestrated by the CIA, Kim is a really nice bloke, there are no gulags or starvation in DPRK but morons like us in the west lap up everything our media and intelligence services tell us.

Just as well there are a few who can see through the CIA smokescreen and tell the rest of us dumb followers what is really going on.

As you obviously know what they [the US] will gain by this; what their advantage is, perhaps you'd be good enought to share that with those less enlightened.
I certainly wouldn't claim to be better educated or more perceptive than anybody, much less on this forum. I'm simply voicing my opinion (yes, we're all individuals).

I'm not saying it's all orchestrated by the CIA and that Kim is a really nice bloke - But at the same time I'm not saying that he's a crazed fascist intent on nuclear Armageddon. It may turn out that he is (or was!) one of those things in time, but I suspect that as with many things, the truth is usually somewhere in between.
__________________
It's arrived, e93 M3 Convertible: M-DCT, JzB / extended BB, and most of the options.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #53
Cyprio
Captain
Cyprio's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colchester. UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
All this stuff about it somehow being Bush's fault (moron that he was) is nonsense; he couldn't find North Korea on a map. Likewise blaming the US in general.

I've spent some time in South Korea, I've seen the huge US airbases just north of Seoul and I know that the South Korean people are grateful for their presence to deter constant aggression from the North. In the DMZ, it's the DPRK that have dropped all the concrete blocks.

South Korea is a Western ally and like the UK has US airbases on its soil. It's not surprising that the US are preparing a defence strategy of both their bases and SK as a whole; what are they supposed to do?

The entire rhetoric was started by Kim Jong-un and had nothing to do with any US aggression but as it's so fashionable to blame everything on US foreign policy the ignorant jump on the bandwagon.

The US and SK are quite happy to ignore DPRK if they were not threatening war.
In complete agreement with this.

North Korea have bullied South Korea and got away with it for far too long. Making nuclear threats against another country in this day-and-age should not be taken lightly; least of all when they're coming from an unbalanced nation such as NK.

Totally understand where the US are coming from, although it's purely my own perception that I also suspect there is some muscle-flexing focussed towards China.
__________________
Life is too short to drink bad beer, marry ugly, or not drive the car you want at least once
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #54
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (1)

Conspiracy theorists eh? Bless em. Its good that we have our armed forces (and all their nasty weapons) here to protect them when their silly ideas prove to be complete poo.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #55
Cyprio
Captain
Cyprio's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colchester. UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Conspiracy theorists eh? Bless em. Its good that we have our armed forces (and all their nasty weapons) here to protect them when their silly ideas prove to be complete poo.
If that's aimed at me, then in the immortal words of a fellow forum member - you can feck right off.
__________________
Life is too short to drink bad beer, marry ugly, or not drive the car you want at least once

Last edited by Cyprio; 04-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #56
Guvernator
Captain
10
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

I have huge respect for the armed forces. I've had to do a short stint in national service. My brother in law works in bomb disposal in a very dangerous part of the world and has been in a situation where they've had to literally scrape bits of his friends off him when it's gone wrong so I never underestimate or demean the effort that they put in to defend peace. I am also realistic enough to know that war and the necessity for defence has provided some of the biggest breakthroughs in technology for mankind so I'm not some Greenpeace activist advocating we should throw away all our weapons.

However what I do question is the politicians who wield these forces and their ultimate goals\aims. I'm not some tin foil hat wearing nutter but I'm also not going to blindly believe what I am told to believe, especially when these days those armed forces are not used to defend our homes but instead used to attack anyone who doesn't look or think like us. None of the wars\conflicts in my lifetime have been about protecting the innocent, this is a FACT, why should I think this is anything different?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #57
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
87
Rep
5,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
None of the wars\conflicts in my lifetime have been about protecting the innocent, this is a FACT
Really? When were you born?
__________________
Ian
Current: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #58
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
55
Rep
3,363
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Conspiracy theories make me smile but somehow fill me with despair at the same time. Can I be the first to mention 9/11? Just wanted to get in there before anyone else does.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
Guvernator
Captain
10
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Really? When were you born?
In the 70's

Sorry I should clarify that statement though, none of the wars fought by the US\UK in my lifetime has been about defending ourselve or the innocent.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #60
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
87
Rep
5,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Falklands? You might argue about to whom the Islands should belong but the fact is the islands are British and the innocent inhabitants of those islands were occupied by an armed, foreign aggressor in an invasion. If that's not both defending ourselves and the innocent, I don't know what is.

Like Rich1068, I too despair.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #61
dobbo99
Captain
9
Rep
863
Posts

Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I'm hoping I don't get crucified for asking such a question but I'm missing something.......what do North Korea and Lil Kim get to gain if they were to impose an attack on the Western World, or the USA?

I don't/can't see what the end result is? Other than some sort of satisfaction in revenge for the US supporting South Korea in years gone by.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #62
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Sportplus's Avatar
Scotland
8
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: 318i M Sport E91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Falklands? You might argue about to whom the Islands should belong but the fact is the islands are British and the innocent inhabitants of those islands were occupied by an armed, foreign aggressor in an invasion. If that's not both defending ourselves and the innocent, I don't know what is.

Like Rich1068, I too despair.
+1 but after that I'm struggling.


War = Greed IMO

Last edited by Sportplus; 04-04-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #63
Guvernator
Captain
10
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Falklands? You might argue about to whom the Islands should belong but the fact is the islands are British and the innocent inhabitants of those islands were occupied by an armed, foreign aggressor in an invasion. If that's not both defending ourselves and the innocent, I don't know what is.

Like Rich1068, I too despair.
I did actually think about the Falklands straight after I wrote that statement so I'll give you that one, no need to despair.

Nothing the Western Coalition forces have fought in since has been about anything other than greed though so I'm afraid I now take any statements of "they are evil and a huge threat to the free world" with a massive pinch of salt.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #64
briers
Ben
briers's Avatar
United Kingdom
36
Rep
1,976
Posts

Drives: XFR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK

iTrader: (0)

Yep

Last thing I want is another war, nobody deserves to die in war even Kim dick hung.

I never had a problem with him, NK has been plastered all over the media with threats of nuclear action. So I'm not jumping on the hate NK bandwagon.

I just hope it doesn't materialise hence my posting here. I don't know enough about it.

But if I was him I would launch it if I wanted to, not put it through the media.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #65
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
87
Rep
5,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
I now take any statements of "they are evil and a huge threat to the free world" with a massive pinch of salt.
I'd tend to agree if it were anyone other than North Korea. I've looked over the fence-line though, and they're fecking nuts.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #66
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
If that's aimed at me, then in the immortal words of a fellow forum member - you can feck right off.
Excellent!
In my experience though conspiracy theorists are usually so wide of the mark that they make me smile.... a lot.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST