E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rust forming all over my car? What gives

03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
mikegh
Private

Drives: 2009 TiAg e90 328xi

Rust forming all over my car? What gives

So I go outside today and look at my trunk. There's literally little rust spots forming everywhere so I decided to look around my car for more spots. Turns out there's rust forming all over my left fender as well. What the hell is happening? I've never had this happen in previous cars and this car is pretty much brand new. I'm not sure how this rust is forming as I give my car a carwash every week. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is ruining my mood. And is there cheap but effective way of fixing these spots? They're quite small but there's so many of them.

I will post pics later as I'm at work right now.

http://imgur.com/a/gebUW

Last edited by mikegh; 03-30-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added pics
      03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Doctor color chip
Dark_Knight_335 is online now   United_States
      03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
sy2767
Captain

Drives: 2011 335 XDRIVE

Sounds as though you might have rail dust embedded in your clear coat and now its rusting, Rail dust is tiny particles of iron from the tracks and wheels of trains when cars are transported using rail. The friction of the trains wheels on the tracks releases tiny particles of iron that become airborne, it lands on your painted surface and because of the hot temperature of the iron it literally burns-embeds itself in the clear coat covering your paint. Add water and ta-da! You have tiny rust spots in your paint! There are methods and chemicals specifically for removing them. It can be a pain in the azz to remove so good luck if thats what it is.
sy2767 is online now   No_Country
      03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
DJtoad
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
Sounds as though you might have rail dust embedded in your clear coat and now its rusting, Rail dust is tiny particles of iron from the tracks and wheels of trains when cars are transported using rail. The friction of the trains wheels on the tracks releases tiny particles of iron that become airborne, it lands on your painted surface and because of the hot temperature of the iron it literally burns-embeds itself in the clear coat covering your paint. Add water and ta-da! You have tiny rust spots in your paint! There are methods and chemicals specifically for removing them. It can be a pain in the azz to remove so good luck if thats what it is.
Exactly what I was going to say. I bet the OP lives or works near an active railroad track.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 Stage 3, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
      03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
I found what I thought was rust on my paint... tiny little specs on the roof, hood, trunk lid etc.

I did some research and ended up using a clay bar kit and it took them right off/out. Definitely give it a try. Mother's has an all-in-one clay bar package that was reasonable and did the job for me. Clay bar makes your surface smooth as silk.
08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
      03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
jbimmer3
Captain

Drives: E90

Dont clay. Takes forever. Just use IronX. Buy a bottle a 3 min later looks normal.

Car pics HERE
jbimmer3 is offline   United_States
      03-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
mikegh
Private

Nope I don't live remotely close to a railroad but my car was transported by train to my city so that might be it. I will check out the methods you guys mentioned. Maybe some pics will help narrow down the problem. I'd also like to say that my car is titanium silver if that helps at all
      03-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
My car is titanium silver as well. Tiny rust specs. Claying didn't take that long but I'm interested in the other method mentioned for future. Good luck, OP.
08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
      03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Saintor
Colonel

I wished that I cleaned my car in winter. It has a LOT of surface rust on the lower right side .... and on the rear bumper!

I waxed it. It helped but by rubbing I was under impression than I was doing more harm to the paint than anything.... it will just go away by itself, right?
      03-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
sdalpha
Private First Class

Drives: ///MR e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegh View Post
Nope I don't live remotely close to a railroad but my car was transported by train to my city so that might be it. I will check out the methods you guys mentioned. Maybe some pics will help narrow down the problem. I'd also like to say that my car is titanium silver if that helps at all
Ahh..

What you described sounds like rail dust, at least without seeing it. CarPro IronX is popular, as well as, Valugard ABC System. Claying works as well, but depending on the abrasiveness of the clay, it may not get all if it out.
      03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
e90Nate
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 335 xdrive msport

Garage List
does iron-x ruin your paint or clear coat in any way?
      03-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
sy2767
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
does iron-x ruin your paint or clear coat in any way?
No its completely safe and MUCH faster than the clay bar method, i would clay afterwards though just to "clean" the paint. If its rail dust it will not go away on its own, the spots just get bigger and permanently stain the paint, then your looking at a lot more work getting the car cut and polished.
      03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Karbon
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Just an aside if anyone doesn't know... if you see any 'rust' on your front or back bumper... they're both plastic. Last time I checked, Plastic can't rust!!

It's metal from the road clinging to your cars clear coat and making it look like it's your car rusting when in fact it's not..

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Karbon is offline   United_States
      03-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
sy2767
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
Just an aside if anyone doesn't know... if you see any 'rust' on your front or back bumper... they're both plastic. Last time I checked, Plastic can't rust!!

It's metal from the road clinging to your cars clear coat and making it look like it's your car rusting when in fact it's not..
Metal from the road? Must be a Florida thing, please explain your theory please?
      03-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Saintor
Colonel

Quote:

I know that those particles come actually from metallic abrasives that are put on the icy/snow roads. What confuses me is that it is only one side of my car and it is very severe. The lower part looks more yellowish than white!

* ordering Iron-X *.

Last edited by Saintor; 03-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.
      03-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Karbon
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Metal from the road? Must be a Florida thing, please explain your theory please?
There are little flakes of metal all over every road that is highly traveled. It's not just a Florida thing.

Not everyone takes care of their cars and I've seen my fair share of calipers that grind down on the rotors every time the cars brakes are hit. It leaves little tiny metal shavings along the road which in turn get picked up by the cars speeding by and sometimes they stick to the car depending on the weather.

I've seen it a hundred times. It's normal. Don't tell me no one else here has seen it.

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Karbon is offline   United_States
      03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
MineF10
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 F10 M5

I don't know why, but it is most evident on light color cars, light silver and white are the worst !
The metal shavings come usually from vehicles that drive in front of you.
In wet weather, their brake dust ( shavings from rotors ) and other road grime, will naturally stick to your paint, and then in a nice day you take your car for a car wash, and then, what to hell ! you have not seen this rusty look before. It is more common than you think.
MineF10 is offline   Canada
      03-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
shata
Captain

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
There are little flakes of metal all over every road that is highly traveled. It's not just a Florida thing.

Not everyone takes care of their cars and I've seen my fair share of calipers that grind down on the rotors every time the cars brakes are hit. It leaves little tiny metal shavings along the road which in turn get picked up by the cars speeding by and sometimes they stick to the car depending on the weather.

I've seen it a hundred times. It's normal. Don't tell me no one else here has seen it.
Ya mine has it on backside of car specifically on trunk lid, I will be trying these compounds mentioned. (ive clayed many times) We'll see interesting theory never thought about that stuff causing it. I think it shows more on silver cars cause mine is also.
      03-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
mikegh
Private

Added pics to the OP. just thought id also add a picture of my baby from afar as well
      03-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
shata
Captain

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegh View Post
Added pics to the OP. just thought id also add a picture of my baby from afar as well
Yup I have same stuff on my trunk lid on rear, not on top of it only on vertical surface.
      03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
e90Nate
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 335 xdrive msport

Garage List
Quote:
No its completely safe and MUCH faster than the clay bar method, i would clay afterwards though just to "clean" the paint. If its rail dust it will not go away on its own, the spots just get bigger and permanently stain the paint, then your looking at a lot more work getting the car cut and polished.
thanks! looks like im going to be ordering some of this as well!
      03-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Route 16
I got lei'd

Drives: '07 E90 328i

Iron x > Sonax = true
Iron x + Sonax = even better
Don't clay bay anything from metal/rust on your body. Spray some of that on, watch it drip/run off and hose it off, good to go.
Route 16 is online now   Philippines