E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Carbon Fiber Twill Resin

03-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
WOT Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW

Carbon Fiber Twill Resin

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience working with carbon fiber 2x2 twill (cloth) and resin? I had a question about it if you would be willing to answer.

You can just post here if you have. I'm not sure how popular this stuff is. Hopefully someone has had some experience with it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

Drives: 335

What is your question? I don't have experience with it, but I don't see you getting any bites without posting the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
WOT Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
What is your question? I don't have experience with it, but I don't see you getting any bites without posting the question.
Basically, I'm just wondering how it gets applied. I know that the twill is laid on whatever it is being applied to (i.e., trim piece), and then the resin comes into play. I also know that it has to be sanded, but I was wondering how much and with what grit.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

Drives: 335

My guess, again just a guess, is block till flat with something around 200 on a DA and then work your way finer and finer until it shines. Any paint guys would be able to answer this for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
If you're not vacuum bagging the parts (increases strength, much, much better for structural parts) then this seems like how you would go about doing it:

04-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
WOT Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
If you're not vacuum bagging the parts (increases strength, much, much better for structural parts) then this seems like how you would go about doing it:

Thanks for that vid. I guess the only question I have now is how to overlay a part. The guy in the vid was using a mold, but I would be overlaying an existing part with the CF. It is basically reverse the steps he showed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: race car

I also wondered about this. I have the oem performance diffuser and I want to carbon fiber to the finned section in the middle and the upper corner sections. Is the process as simple as laying the fabric, adding resin, and sanding?
      04-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
shadow191
Major
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

I've used the stuff on small areas of my bicycle and in the past have used it in stereo installs. Basically you just apply resin to the surface (otherwise the fabric won't stay). Then apply resin over it and sand. The hard part is to not mess up the weave when you're laying it and when applying the resin in getting it as even as possible. If you have bubbles or anything in the resin, sanding won't fix that. And make sure you have a thick enough coat of resin to sand.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I've used the stuff on small areas of my bicycle and in the past have used it in stereo installs. Basically you just apply resin to the surface (otherwise the fabric won't stay). Then apply resin over it and sand. The hard part is to not mess up the weave when you're laying it and when applying the resin in getting it as even as possible. If you have bubbles or anything in the resin, sanding won't fix that. And make sure you have a thick enough coat of resin to sand.
sweet, I'm probably going to give it a try as a side project over the summer.
      04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep

Drives: e92

#1 requirement = PATIENCE

I made a custom splitter with my own CF and resin for my old A4 and fuck. that was a bitch of a project. Makes you really understand the higher labor cost in developing a CF part.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0