E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > KW V1 xi vs H&R street coilovers

04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
e93driva
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 335is

KW V1 xi vs H&R street coilovers

Which one would you get?

I looked around and some people say V1 and some people say H&R but idk which one is better. I'm not gonna track the car so it's just gonna be normal street driving. I just want the drop (xi gap ). I'm up in MA and the winters can be harsh so I'm afraid the H&Rs might start rusting or corroding.

Here's another deciding factor.. I can get the H&Rs brand new for $1280. If I buy the KW, I'm gonna buy them used because I don't wanna pay $1600.. Unless there's a good deal that prices the KWs right by the H&Rs.

:

Instagram: gyounes9
Das it mane
e93driva is offline   United_States
      04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
rattmobbins
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

I thought V1s were like $1200 or $1299 somewhere, maybe I'm wrong though. Try PM'ing some vendors on here to get the best price.

Anyway, seems like folks on here REALLY like their KWs, but on the MINI forum, H&R were all people talked about. Seen a few threads that say H&R are stiffer, and KW more compliant, so take that for what it's worth. Personally I think every set of $1,000 + coils is gonna be comparable if you never track the car.

Just my $.02.

Oh, and why would H&R start rusting and corroding???
      04-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
e93driva
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
I thought V1s were like $1200 or $1299 somewhere, maybe I'm wrong though. Try PM'ing some vendors on here to get the best price.

Anyway, seems like folks on here REALLY like their KWs, but on the MINI forum, H&R were all people talked about. Seen a few threads that say H&R are stiffer, and KW more compliant, so take that for what it's worth. Personally I think every set of $1,000 + coils is gonna be comparable if you never track the car.

Just my $.02.

Oh, and why would H&R start rusting and corroding???
I saw some vendors with some sales so ill start PMing.

I saw somewhere that the coating put on the H&Rs starts to get bad after a while. I think the H&Rs are made out of galvanized steel and the KWs are made out of stainless steel. That could be it but I'm not sure

Das it mane
      04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Flyer
Captain

Drives: 2011 e92xi

PM Pat at SonicTuning. He gave me a great deal on V1s.
      04-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Jeffman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
I've had my KWV1s for almost four years and 25000 miles on my xi. No complaints other than a cracked dust cover probably obtained when I hit a pot hole...ive hit many and the alignment is still fine (goes straight at 80 mph on a smooth flat road). The handling is a huge night and day difference. I'm in PA and the important factor for me is not gap for deep snow, but having dedicated wintr tires mounted on other wheels.

One piece of advice: don't ever buy used coils, springs, dampers, coilovers, etc. These parts wear out. Fresh and new and lack of uncertainty over worn out parts is definitely worth the extra money. Good luck!
      04-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
e93driva
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
PM Pat at SonicTuning. He gave me a great deal on V1s.
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR View Post
I've had my KWV1s for almost four years and 25000 miles on my xi. No complaints other than a cracked dust cover probably obtained when I hit a pot hole...ive hit many and the alignment is still fine (goes straight at 80 mph on a smooth flat road). The handling is a huge night and day difference. I'm in PA and the important factor for me is not gap for deep snow, but having dedicated wintr tires mounted on other wheels.

One piece of advice: don't ever buy used coils, springs, dampers, coilovers, etc. These parts wear out. Fresh and new and lack of uncertainty over worn out parts is definitely worth the extra money. Good luck!
Yeah I think i'm just gonna go with the KW V1. Everyone speaks highly of them so they have to be good. I found a good price so I'll just buy them new. I appreciate the comment brotha!

Das it mane
      04-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco

Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
lots of threads on this..I think you'll be happy with the V1s
      04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Envuks
Captain

Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I love my v1s. I'm also in MA and the corrosion concern on the H&Rs was a big issue for me... You should be able to find the V1s for closer to $1400. The few hundred more is money well spent.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
      04-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
e93driva
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
lots of threads on this..I think you'll be happy with the V1s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
I love my v1s. I'm also in MA and the corrosion concern on the H&Rs was a big issue for me... You should be able to find the V1s for closer to $1400. The few hundred more is money well spent.
I decided on the V1s. As everyone says, suspension isn't something you should cheap out on

Das it mane