E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sirius Radio Quality

04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC/2011 335is DCT

Garage List
2014 650i Gran Coupe  [0.00]
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
Sirius Radio Quality

I activated my car on my Sirius account and the sound quality is horrible. There's no bass it's just really metallic dry sound. Could my antenna be messed up?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Sirius is low quality and sounds horrible even on my individual audio....
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Sirius is low quality and sounds horrible even on my individual audio....
Maybe my ears have just gotten pickier over the years lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I think that Sirius is just overcompressing the digital audio streams to fit more channels into their available bandwidth. Kind of like how when you're watching TV you can have a full HD channel with only one or two SD subchannels but you could have 5 or 6 SD channels using the same RF frequency (MHz does that around here, they have one channel but I think 5 subchannels all broadcasting in SD)

Unfortunately, the better your sound system is, the more painful Sirius is to listen to.

Fortunately the "HD Radio" stations around here don't seem to be succumbing to the same effect. for the most part they seem to sound pretty good.

I do have to give BMW props for including a HD tuner - first time I've ever seen that on a factory stereo system. Only "upgrade" I did was adding the Sirius tuner - I didn't really feel the need to have it but I figured I would grab it while it was still available, and then once I had it it seemed silly not to go ahead and install it.

Unfortunately I only have HiFi not Logic 7 - it's "good enough" but I kind of want to add a subwoofer. Don't really want to start going down the slippery slope however!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
I think that Sirius is just overcompressing the digital audio streams to fit more channels into their available bandwidth. Kind of like how when you're watching TV you can have a full HD channel with only one or two SD subchannels but you could have 5 or 6 SD channels using the same RF frequency (MHz does that around here, they have one channel but I think 5 subchannels all broadcasting in SD)

Unfortunately, the better your sound system is, the more painful Sirius is to listen to.

Fortunately the "HD Radio" stations around here don't seem to be succumbing to the same effect. for the most part they seem to sound pretty good.

I do have to give BMW props for including a HD tuner - first time I've ever seen that on a factory stereo system. Only "upgrade" I did was adding the Sirius tuner - I didn't really feel the need to have it but I figured I would grab it while it was still available, and then once I had it it seemed silly not to go ahead and install it.

Unfortunately I only have HiFi not Logic 7 - it's "good enough" but I kind of want to add a subwoofer. Don't really want to start going down the slippery slope however!
Makes sense, none of the stations I listen to are HD though
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

DRock3d; Sirius is of course going to be lower quality than CD or HD radio. Figure you should get something around FM radio quality. It sounds like there's something wrong with your install.

Mine sounds fine, though admittedly I'm no audiophile with golden ears. I also had it in my previous non-BMW car and it was also decent. Not spectacular, but also not as awful as many make it out to be.

I'd see if you can listen to Sirius in a different car to help you decide if there's something amiss with your system or if you have indeed developed golden ears.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock3d View Post
Makes sense, none of the stations I listen to are HD though
Nothing wrong with that... a good quality analog FM signal still should result in good sound quality, maybe not as theoretically good as HD but still quite listenable. I have to admit to being an NPR junkie and also I like good classic rock at times, and NPR has always been one of the biggest adopters of the technology and then the best classic rock station I've found in my area is actually a HD subchannel...

I do think it's a little dodgy on the part of whoever named HD Radio using the "HD" moniker - in this instance it stands for Hybrid Digital not High Definition. Theoretically there is the possibilty of slightly better sound quality than analog FM but I don't think it's anywhere near as earth shattering as SDTV going to digital HDTV was.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5, 2024 x3 on order

Sirius sound quality on my Harmon Kardon is great but I'm coming from an after market sirius reciever with FM modulator. I don't notice much difference between the Sirius and my mp3 and the bass is strong. Get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
the bass is strong. Get it checked out.
Yeah, I was listening to Electric Area the other day and there was no shortage of bass from the under-seat subs...

(Logic7/premium system)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
DRock3d; Sirius is of course going to be lower quality than CD or HD radio. Figure you should get something around FM radio quality. It sounds like there's something wrong with your install.

Mine sounds fine, though admittedly I'm no audiophile with golden ears. I also had it in my previous non-BMW car and it was also decent. Not spectacular, but also not as awful as many make it out to be.

I'd see if you can listen to Sirius in a different car to help you decide if there's something amiss with your system or if you have indeed developed golden ears.
It's no where near FM radio, it was also factory installed so I don't know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Anyone know if the Sirius app will give better sound quality?
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's no where near FM radio, it was also factory installed so I don't know what's going on.
Doesn't seem right. Have you tried different Sirius channels? Maybe gone to a dealer or a local meet up and tried to listen to Sirius in a different car to compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
No idea, though i bet it depends on your data connection. Wi the app though, the new ability to tweak a channel is cool.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
Not if you live here (DC-land) and have Sprint - it's pretty much unusable

Much as I hate to contemplate it, I'm actually considering switching to Verizon to get decent 4G service and good phone choices (I like Motorola) but my experience with Verizon land lines has been abysmal to put it mildly, so I expect their customer service to fellate goats.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #14
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
I activated my car on my Sirius account and the sound quality is horrible. There's no bass it's just really metallic dry sound. Could my antenna be messed up?
I called Sirius/XM to complain about this (about 2 months ago) and they said they changed their signal format some time ago, and there's a new Sat radio module available from BMW that can decode the signal with better quality.

Was planning on dropping into my local dealership this week to see if there's any truth to what they told me.
Appreciate 0