E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Are These Prices Reasonable?

04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i

If I had to rely on a dealer or Indy for everything, i wouldn't have this car seeing the prices of the most easiest things to do.
Granted many people do not have the place to do things like a driveway, or no tools, or no knowledge, or just is not mechanically inclined at all. These are the people the dealers and shops take advantage of.
If you don't have the means to do things yourself, your next best weapon is to learn how things work on your car, know what you are talking about. If you talk to your SA with some knowledge, they may feel you aren't oblivious to their scam and keep their bullshit somewhat respectible.
I wish some people lived closer to me, I hate seeing people getting screwed over for easy shit like brakes and oil changes. I would help you guys. Especially the younger guys.
These crazy price stories bug me.

120 is double the price for an oil change...almost
brakes are just as easy as changing a tire, 653 is insane
Usually I get an inspection for free the 2 times I had taken it to a dealer for a recall and for an ecu update. Those were free. Yours is in depth, depending on what they are actually doing such as checking specs on fuel pump, sending unit, injectors, etc... than that is worth the peace of mind.
It couldn't hurt to look around for another dealer near you and see what they say.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
jan31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Space Gray

Garage List
[quote=alexwhittemore;13771948]Does that seem low to you, or high? $18 profit for a job that takes maybe 20-30m? That doesn't seem much more than what the mechanic himself makes. Surprisingly thin margins for a dealer.

$80 seems like a pretty good deal to me. What surprise me is how they make a profit out of it. If the dealership charges me $80 for oil changes all the time I'll probably never change the oil myself, I will take it to them.

2009 328i Space Gray/ Sport pkg/Premium pkg/Cold weather pkg/Parking sensors
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Envuks
Captain
Rep

Drives: '08 e92 335xi

For a dealer that doesn't seem bad, but you should find a good Indy... Just like dealership, Indy shops vary greatly. A good one is the key to post warranty happiness in the e9x platform

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9352e90 View Post
Yes, know the "stealership" cost more, but I like having my work done there (bad experiences with indy shops). There is a lot of variation dealership to dealership (I found almost 40% deference between two dealerships with in 50 miles of each other). Do these prices seem reasonable?

Rear Pads and Rotors $653

Vehicle Check $80

Oil Change $120

What have you guys paid?
My dealer estimates E90 brakes at about $800 per axle.

If the "Vehicle Check" is the same as the recommended 30k Inspection, $80 is very cheap as this involves about 1 1/2 hours of labor. Otherwise, it obviously depends on what is covered.

Oil change is slightly on the high side, especially since so many dealers now offer $79.95 coupons.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

[quote=jan31;13773015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Does that seem low to you, or high? $18 profit for a job that takes maybe 20-30m? That doesn't seem much more than what the mechanic himself makes. Surprisingly thin margins for a dealer.

$80 seems like a pretty good deal to me. What surprise me is how they make a profit out of it. If the dealership charges me $80 for oil changes all the time I'll probably never change the oil myself, I will take it to them.
Yeah okay, totally agree. For the $20 difference, I might do it myself, but only if I specifically felt like working on my car that weekend

Seems to me it's to get you in the door so they can see if anything else is wrong for them to work on.
      04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
$120 for the oil change seems nuts.

There's a lot of BMW dealers that will do "BMW Value Service" which should charge only $80 for the oil change: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ueService.aspx

You can do a search form the page linked for a dealer nearby that does Value Service.

Also, I'd be curious as to what that $80 "Vehicle Check" involves. The oil change listed on the page linked above includes some checks.

I was able to find that my dealership that I bought my car from will provide oil changes as part of the value service program.