E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BC BR rear shock making clunk

05-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

BC BR rear shock making clunk

It has gradually been getting worse over the past week. The rear driver's side shock is making an awful clunking noise. I inspected both the top and bottom mounts and didn't find anything worn or out of place, all bushings were still intact and un-warn. The shocks are just under 2-years old but have received around 50,000 miles of use.

A question I have is can I replace both shocks with something else besides BC? Just looking at my options I guess.

The shock still compresses correctly and the adjustment of the shock still works , it just seems to make a loud clunking when driving slow. I had a friend bouce on the rear and I pushed on the shock housing and the noise went away when I released it the noise came back so I know for sure it is either in the shock or shock mounts.

My next step will be to pull the shock out and compress it and see if the noise is still there to verify it's not the mounts.

Thoughts?
      05-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
james008
Captain
Rep

Is BC even in business anymore? I have called, emailed, and left messages for 3 days and to answer or return message?
      05-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

I never have a problems with calling sales. Sometimes it goes to a voice-mail but I just give it some time and call back. I don't think there US location is heavily staffed.

Just spoke with Scott today in sales to order some replacement parts for an F30 kit I just sold. Also just picked up a kit for my e92.

One minor problem I had with my F30 kit was the lock ring on the shock would come loose every once in a while and then I used very little of blue loc-tite and that solved the issue. This would cause a knocking sound, even over the slightest bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
feuer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post
It has gradually been getting worse over the past week. The rear driver's side shock is making an awful clunking noise. I inspected both the top and bottom mounts and didn't find anything worn or out of place, all bushings were still intact and un-warn. The shocks are just under 2-years old but have received around 50,000 miles of use.

A question I have is can I replace both shocks with something else besides BC? Just looking at my options I guess.

The shock still compresses correctly and the adjustment of the shock still works , it just seems to make a loud clunking when driving slow. I had a friend bouce on the rear and I pushed on the shock housing and the noise went away when I released it the noise came back so I know for sure it is either in the shock or shock mounts.

My next step will be to pull the shock out and compress it and see if the noise is still there to verify it's not the mounts.

Thoughts?
it could be a lot of other items:
toe arms
torque arms
control arm
sway bar link
and ect..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
james008
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
it could be a lot of other items:
toe arms
torque arms
control arm
sway bar link
and ect..
That's why I want to pull the shock to check. But when I pushed on the shock housing and bounced the rear the noise stopped.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
feuer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when I pushed on the shock housing and bounced the rear the noise stopped.
How do you mean you pushed on the shock housing? The shock would clunk only if loose. I assume you would have caught that. That is why I suspect at other components, especially the lower control arm bushing and the sway bar link.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
james008
Captain
Rep

The shock seemed to have play. As the shock compresses there is a clunk. We continued to compress and uncompress repeatedly and I crawled under and held onto the housing as someone else compressed the shock and the sound went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
How do you mean you pushed on the shock housing? The shock would clunk only if loose. I assume you would have caught that. That is why I suspect at other components, especially the lower control arm bushing and the sway bar link.
      05-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
feuer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The shock seemed to have play. As the shock compresses there is a clunk. We continued to compress and uncompress repeatedly and I crawled under and held onto the housing as someone else compressed the shock and the sound went away.
I know that you have inspected the shock mounts but is the shock fasten tightly? This is best checked when the car is lift of the ground.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
james008
Captain
Rep

Sorted it out. Pulled the shock out and the lock ring came loose. The top half and bottom half of the shock had play and that's were the noise came from. Tightened it up and noise is gone.

Still getting heavy vibrations in the dash at high speeds. Going in for alignment Tuesday.
Appreciate 0