E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Painful experience at Magnum Collision

04-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
simon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

Painful experience at Magnum Collision

I read nothing about good things about Magnum Collision and judging by the probably millions of dollars worth of cars in their parking lot, I felt confident I came to the right shop.

Let me start off by saying they did flawless work on the body (picture #7 for body repair). Absolutely incredible. The problems are the apparent carelessness and recklessness with the interior of the car while in the shop.

The right quarter panel of my car had to be replaced along with blending of various parts (picture #1 for damage). The insurance company wanted to just repair it, but Magnum convinced them to pay for a replacement which I also really appreciate. It took I think about three weeks to do - no big deal.

I get the car back and look it over and it looks great. I get in the car to drive off and I notice back of the seat isn't back and the handle to recline it (not power seats) is stuck up. Turns out the seat is stuck so I get them to attend to it (see attached picture #2). They get the seat back and put the cover on and I go on my way and don't think a whole lot of it. On the way home I stop to get some gas when I notice the trim on the roof is missing (that long body colored piece that goes over the roof rack holes). I call them back the next day and go back, they put it back on. I figured this was a fluke.

That night I'm at a friend's place and move my seat up. It gets stuck there, at 11 pm in a parking lot where I can't park (picture #3). I take the back off when I see the seat frame itself is bent (picture #4). After some pounding and bleeding fingers, I finally get the seat back in place. I call Magnum the next day and go back over there, he takes a look at it and says he'll figure it out and call me back.

He calls back and says it's going to be about $1000 to fix after parts and labor. Are you kidding me? I take the car there, my seat works. I get it back with a bent seat frame and they want to charge $1000. After about a month of wrestling and arguing with them, he finally agrees to fix it. I take it in and a "one to two day" repair takes a week. No big deal...

I get the car back and the plastic piece covering that seat belt holder thing (hah) on the floor is missing (picture #5) as well as a plastic piece on the back seat (picture #6). I have no idea what happened with the back seat. Of course the repair manager tells me it has nothing to do with him, so I guess it just evaporated while it was at their shop. I know these aren't really a big deal and I'm probably just being anal, but after the third trip there I figure they should get something done right! This is ridiculous.

Sorry for the long post, but I really think this kind of unacceptable work, especially for such a reputable shop, should be made known. When I left the repair manager said "he'd do some digging and call me back", so I'll keep you guys posted on if they make this right or not.

Simon
Attached Images

Last edited by simon; 04-09-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: hopefully better grammar this time
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
5tony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 X5 35i/'11 335i M-Sports

Wow! That's terrible. Really makes me think twice about using them in the future. There was a thread on Bimmerforums Georgia where one of the owners posted a reply to another unhappy customer. Here's a link. Might want to PM or call him and tell him what's going on at his shop.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Magnum+manager

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post23146090
      04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
simon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the links! I'll give the repair manager today to call me. If I don't hear back, which I'm putting money on, I'll call the owner tomorrow. I'll update if they do make it right so it's fair to them.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
simon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So of course the repair manager never bothered to call back. I called and asked for the owner, but he was out of town. I spoke with the general manager, Adam (I can't remember his last name), and told him the whole story. I stopped by and he replaced the two pieces and I went on my way.

Anyway, car is fixed, working seat, and no missing pieces. I'm glad they got it right, but I guess depending on your repair manager it may be difficult getting there.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
simon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I hate to bring this back up from the dead, but I've been having a lot of issues with water and leaves entering the trunk. For some reason it just now occurred to me that it may be due to the repair job. Regardless, I look at my trunk and there's no weatherstrip anywhere. Excuse the mess in my trunk, but check out the attached image, seems like there should be something where the red lines are. Can anyone with an E92 confirm?

I feel like an idiot for just now realizing this. They have a "lifetime" warranty, so if I can confirm there is weatherstrip missing we'll see what they do nearly a year later.

Simon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
ddas
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: bavaria

Sounds like it's time to approach someone above the GM. The owner may have a different take on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
shadow191
Major
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

Yeah, there should be a rubber weather strip right there on the red. Surprised a body shop would forget to re-install that. It's not a small bolt or anything like that.
Appreciate 0