E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335d Options for Base susp Upgrade

View Poll Results: What suits my stated goals best?
BMW Performance Suspension Kit 2 50.00%
Koni FSD + Eibach Kit 0 0%
KW v[?] 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

04-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Gents,

I have the Base suspension on my 335d and am considering:
  • BMW Performance Suspension Kit + Yellow Springs @ $1170
  • Koni FSD+Eibach Kit @ $???
  • KWs (v?) @ $$$.$$

I was originally looking at the Koni kit as I read good things about the FSD technology but then was swayed to the OEM Performance Suspension for Engineering Match / Warranty concerns as well as price/performance value (per other members' inputs). I have also discussed stepping up to KWs but I don't know how high (v2???) I would want to go.

Use:
  • Mostly street in varying conditons, but I live in NY currently and the roads can be pretty bad....
  • Currently I do about 1 HPDE a year but would like to get to 2-3 if I can

Goals:
  • Definite improvement from stock.
  • Don't want to continually tweak (as I understand very little, though I am sure I'll learn enough to be dangerous).
  • Relative Comfort on Street
  • Well enough composed on track
  • Edit--- Don't want to be less than happy enough to the point where I would pull equipment and start over....that being said, I don't need to go straight to the Moon either!

I drive the -D so I am not planning on beating M3s but I do want to upgrade the car over time and make it a DIY M-performance level equivalent.

I have read quite a bit (or I wouldn't even have known where to start) and done plenty of searches but I haven't found this comparison and more specifically would like inputs relative to my goals.

/Begin...

PS (and thanks!)

Edit...for some reason the Koni/FSD package doesn't list as an option for ANY 335? ....any reason?

Edit 2. Any other parts I should do? RSB..

Last edited by taibanl; 04-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Well, Taibanl, you can see what I've done but clearly it's not the only solution and it is expensive. Originally I just put Bilstein B6, which was ok until I drove FR's, which got me thinking. That FR dropped a hit of LSD on a sugar cube and that sent me on a serious trip that I'm just coming off. I still don't know what I would have done if the LSD, M3 subframe bushings, M3 sways idea hadn't got lodged in my bird brain. Maybe I would have started with the BMW Performance Suspension Kit, since I could never warm up to coilovers. Then maybe I would have done sways. I don't know. It is history and I am not auto-magically a suspension expert by virtue of being mentored into a cool setup. I can tell you this 'though: it serves very nicely as a daily-driver too.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

I think that of those three options, I'd go with bmw performance. However, I'd seriously consider jrz after a ride in seņor Fan's car. Once installation is taken into account, your talking about roughly a 50% premium over the performance kit, but once about a 25% over the kw options.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Koni FSD's are supposed to be used with the stock springs, I believe. You would want to use Koni Sport (Yellow) dampers with aftermarket springs like the Eibach Pro-Kit.

I'll vouch for both of the gentlemen above me on the ride quality of the JRZ RS1. It is more expensive than the options you're looking at but is unsurpassed in ride quality for a monotube damper. Never harsh.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/jrz-...its-p2825.aspx
(P.S. I have the non-coilover version for sale, with springs & camber plates (selling because I have changed to a JRZ full race damper system). Send a PM if interested).

Aside from the dampers, I think these parts are good additions to any E9x suspension:

M3 front control arms & tension struts
M3 front sway bar
M3 rear subframe bushings
M3 rear camber links*

*Need aftermarket dampers w/ M3 style connector
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

BMW PS or KW street comfort imo. FSD"S have inconsistent damping and rebound is too soft. Eibach pk springs are not going to improve handling; just drop the car a bit.
I'm changing from BMW PS to KW street comfort next week and can let you know about the differences in comfort/handling.
      04-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Any other parts I should do? RSB..

Well regarded, expert advice can be had from HP Autowerks and Ground Control [Talk to Jay].
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Koni FSD's are supposed to be used with the stock springs, I believe. You would want to use Koni Sport (Yellow) dampers with aftermarket springs like the Eibach Pro-Kit.

I'll vouch for both of the gentlemen above me on the ride quality of the JRZ RS1. It is more expensive than the options you're looking at but is unsurpassed in ride quality for a monotube damper. Never harsh.
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/jrz-...its-p2825.aspx
(P.S. I have the non-coilover version for sale, with springs & camber plates (selling because I have changed to a JRZ full race damper system). Send a PM if interested).

Aside from the dampers, I think these parts are good additions to any E9x suspension:

M3 front control arms & tension struts
M3 front sway bar
M3 rear subframe bushings
M3 rear camber links*

*Need aftermarket dampers w/ M3 style connector
I have read that the konis aren't meant for a sport spring either, but there is a koni fsd/eibach kit :
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 328i

Another option would be the Bilstein B12 kit,

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...n-package.aspx
Appreciate 0