E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tag Aquaracer Chrono problem...

04-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Tag Aquaracer Chrono problem...

Hi guys,

For a question for the many Tag owners here. Jenny bought me an Aquaracer for my 30th (thanks hun) which is beautiful. Sadly though, I think it has some chronograph problems because it just will not keep the time when worn normally.

I wore it all day yesterday at a wedding (including all kinds of funky chicken dancing) and it stopped repeatedly throughout the day.

This morning, I've tried shaking my wrist vigorously for about 10 seconds deliberately and I get about 2 ticks of the second hand from that before it stops again.

The watch was brand new and seems to be ok battery wise, as functions like the stopwatch work fine when engaged.

I'm taking it back for repair/replacement under warranty this afternoon, unless you guys can help me out with something obvious I could try!

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
      04-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpina D3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
This morning, I've tried shaking my wrist vigorously for about 10 seconds

Definitely faulty, I'd take it back and ask for a couple of freebies because of the hassle its caused you.

04-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

It's a Quartz movement so that fucks my theory - as shaking it seemed to get it moving, I just made assumptions.

Anyway swapped on the day, so got a new one!

Matt
      04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Glad you got it replaced without any grief. I've not heard of many tags doing anything like this! Mine is out of warranty now so hope nothing goes wrong
      04-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

I don't think the quartz Tags have a great reputation. I've read a few stories and i also had one about 10 years ago that worked off and on for a while before being resigned to the back of my sock drawer.

I know the watch will have sentimental value to you given the occasion and who gave you it but a lesser well known brand mechanical may be better. Maybe a Glycine or something depending on your tastes.
      04-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Believe it or not at an RRP of 1600, I actually thought this was likely to be a proper timepiece. It didn't even cross my mind to verify that fact....

You live and learn I suppose!

Matt
      04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
I just checked and my watch (carerra calibre s) is a hybrid movement and not Quartz (not that I know what a Hybrid movement is!) ... so Phew, possibly. Or not. I'm not sure.
      04-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I bought my quartz Auquaracer on honeymoon ten years ago. I've worn it every day with no problems.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

My Glycine needs another service, thinking of buying a Swatch!
      04-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

Seiko. My dad recently gave me my grandpas Seiko 5 mechanical. He's had it 20 years since my grandpa died, has never had it serviced and it still runs like....... erm, clockwork.
      04-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
My Tag hasn't missed a beat in nearly 8 years. My Omega Seamaster has...but that's entirely down to a messy stag night and a very expensive repair bill!

RockIt!
RockIt is offline   England
      04-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Sportplus
Lieutenant

Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
My Tag hasn't missed a beat in nearly 8 years. My Omega Seamaster has...but that's entirely down to a messy stag night and a very expensive repair bill!
You need to tell us what happened now.............

(Sorry)
Sportplus is offline   Scotland
      04-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #13
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
You need to tell us what happened now.............

(Sorry)
I'd like to say that it involved some bizarre accident involving strippers, or heroic fighting against the odds with members of an Estonian street gang, but sadly not. It was actually the result of an ill advised attempt to wrap three of the group in gaffer tape!

Ten pints and several shots in, the stag suggested that I grab one end of the roll of tape and that we should run at the group and wrap the tape around them. This would have worked out pretty nicely, had it not been for the amount of alcohol, combined with a downhill run at full speed and the lack of 'give' that is inherent in a roll of industrial strength gaffer! Result was stag getting ahead of me, jerking the roll, physics taking over and me faceplanting the pavement.

This was painful, but not half as painful as the realisation that the smashed glass and bleeding wrist was the result of my full bodyweight landing on my wrist and destroying my Seamaster. New sapphire crystal, new bezel, new secondhand and full service required. My wife, who had bought me the watch, was surprisingly forgiving and understanding and more concerned about my various cuts and bruises.

I am convinced that the watch actually took most of the force of the fall and saved my teeth and nose from an unpleasant fate, but I do have severely bruised ribs and these serve as a reminder to grow the f**k up and never listen to my mate's stupid suggestions ever again. We do have a history...last time it resulted in the destruction of a kitchen cupboard door

RockIt!
RockIt is offline   England
      04-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Sportplus
Lieutenant

Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I'd like to say that it involved some bizarre accident involving strippers, or heroic fighting against the odds with members of an Estonian street gang, but sadly not. It was actually the result of an ill advised attempt to wrap three of the group in gaffer tape!

Ten pints and several shots in, the stag suggested that I grab one end of the roll of tape and that we should run at the group and wrap the tape around them. This would have worked out pretty nicely, had it not been for the amount of alcohol, combined with a downhill run at full speed and the lack of 'give' that is inherent in a roll of industrial strength gaffer! Result was stag getting ahead of me, jerking the roll, physics taking over and me faceplanting the pavement.

This was painful, but not half as painful as the realisation that the smashed glass and bleeding wrist was the result of my full bodyweight landing on my wrist and destroying my Seamaster. New sapphire crystal, new bezel, new secondhand and full service required. My wife, who had bought me the watch, was surprisingly forgiving and understanding and more concerned about my various cuts and bruises.

I am convinced that the watch actually took most of the force of the fall and saved my teeth and nose from an unpleasant fate, but I do have severely bruised ribs and these serve as a reminder to grow the f**k up and never listen to my mate's stupid suggestions ever again. We do have a history...last time it resulted in the destruction of a kitchen cupboard door

It reminds me of every single stag weekend I've been on.
Sportplus is offline   Scotland
      04-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
E92westy
Lieutenant

Drives: F20 118d Sport

Glad you got it sorted Matt.
My Seamaster 2254.50 needs a service and refurb, it's a good few years old though.
Kiss goodbye to <dont_want_to_think_about_it> plus parts minimum.

Love the watch though, so....
      04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant

^^

I know of a great guy that can fully refurb and service your watch if your interested, Omegas are his speciality.
      04-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
ed335d
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
It's a Quartz movement so that fucks my theory - as shaking it seemed to get it moving, I just made assumptions.

Anyway swapped on the day, so got a new one!

Matt
Glad you got it sorted Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
Glad you got it sorted Matt.
My Seamaster 2254.50 needs a service and refurb, it's a good few years old though.
Kiss goodbye to <dont_want_to_think_about_it> plus parts minimum.

Love the watch though, so....
I know someone who does a lovely job on refurbs. I'me sure he does servicing too.

He's taking a couple of months off, but this is what he managed to do with my Seamaster.

Before:

After:

This one's since gone to a new home

Drop me a PM if you want any more info

Last edited by ed335d; 04-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
ed335d is offline   United Kingdom
      04-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant

Could you PM me his details? Cheers
      04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
ed335d
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]