E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tag Aquaracer Chrono problem...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,637
Posts

 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Tag Aquaracer Chrono problem...

Hi guys,

For a question for the many Tag owners here. Jenny bought me an Aquaracer for my 30th (thanks hun) which is beautiful. Sadly though, I think it has some chronograph problems because it just will not keep the time when worn normally.

I wore it all day yesterday at a wedding (including all kinds of funky chicken dancing) and it stopped repeatedly throughout the day.

This morning, I've tried shaking my wrist vigorously for about 10 seconds deliberately and I get about 2 ticks of the second hand from that before it stops again.

The watch was brand new and seems to be ok battery wise, as functions like the stopwatch work fine when engaged.

I'm taking it back for repair/replacement under warranty this afternoon, unless you guys can help me out with something obvious I could try!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: Alpina D3 MT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington, North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
This morning, I've tried shaking my wrist vigorously for about 10 seconds


Definitely faulty, I'd take it back and ask for a couple of freebies because of the hassle its caused you.

__________________
Currently driving an Alpina-D3 MT, Sapphire black, Classic Alloys wrapped in PS2's, Full Alpina interior trim, Black Grilles, Blackline tail lights and zymol'ed once a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,637
Posts

 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

It's a Quartz movement so that fucks my theory - as shaking it seemed to get it moving, I just made assumptions.

Anyway swapped on the day, so got a new one!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
108
Rep
6,849
Posts

 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Glad you got it replaced without any grief. I've not heard of many tags doing anything like this! Mine is out of warranty now so hope nothing goes wrong
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

I don't think the quartz Tags have a great reputation. I've read a few stories and i also had one about 10 years ago that worked off and on for a while before being resigned to the back of my sock drawer.

I know the watch will have sentimental value to you given the occasion and who gave you it but a lesser well known brand mechanical may be better. Maybe a Glycine or something depending on your tastes.
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,637
Posts

 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Believe it or not at an RRP of 1600, I actually thought this was likely to be a proper timepiece. It didn't even cross my mind to verify that fact....

You live and learn I suppose!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
108
Rep
6,849
Posts

 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
I just checked and my watch (carerra calibre s) is a hybrid movement and not Quartz (not that I know what a Hybrid movement is!) ... so Phew, possibly. Or not. I'm not sure.
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I bought my quartz Auquaracer on honeymoon ten years ago. I've worn it every day with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

My Glycine needs another service, thinking of buying a Swatch!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

Seiko. My dad recently gave me my grandpas Seiko 5 mechanical. He's had it 20 years since my grandpa died, has never had it serviced and it still runs like....... erm, clockwork.
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
RockIt's Avatar
England
27
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Curry Capital of Yorkshire!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My Tag hasn't missed a beat in nearly 8 years. My Omega Seamaster has...but that's entirely down to a messy stag night and a very expensive repair bill!
__________________

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Sportplus's Avatar
Scotland
5
Rep
553
Posts

 
Drives: 318i M Sport E91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
My Tag hasn't missed a beat in nearly 8 years. My Omega Seamaster has...but that's entirely down to a messy stag night and a very expensive repair bill!
You need to tell us what happened now.............



(Sorry)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #13
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
RockIt's Avatar
England
27
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Curry Capital of Yorkshire!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
You need to tell us what happened now.............



(Sorry)
I'd like to say that it involved some bizarre accident involving strippers, or heroic fighting against the odds with members of an Estonian street gang, but sadly not. It was actually the result of an ill advised attempt to wrap three of the group in gaffer tape!

Ten pints and several shots in, the stag suggested that I grab one end of the roll of tape and that we should run at the group and wrap the tape around them. This would have worked out pretty nicely, had it not been for the amount of alcohol, combined with a downhill run at full speed and the lack of 'give' that is inherent in a roll of industrial strength gaffer! Result was stag getting ahead of me, jerking the roll, physics taking over and me faceplanting the pavement.

This was painful, but not half as painful as the realisation that the smashed glass and bleeding wrist was the result of my full bodyweight landing on my wrist and destroying my Seamaster. New sapphire crystal, new bezel, new secondhand and full service required. My wife, who had bought me the watch, was surprisingly forgiving and understanding and more concerned about my various cuts and bruises.

I am convinced that the watch actually took most of the force of the fall and saved my teeth and nose from an unpleasant fate, but I do have severely bruised ribs and these serve as a reminder to grow the f**k up and never listen to my mate's stupid suggestions ever again. We do have a history...last time it resulted in the destruction of a kitchen cupboard door
__________________

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Sportplus's Avatar
Scotland
5
Rep
553
Posts

 
Drives: 318i M Sport E91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I'd like to say that it involved some bizarre accident involving strippers, or heroic fighting against the odds with members of an Estonian street gang, but sadly not. It was actually the result of an ill advised attempt to wrap three of the group in gaffer tape!

Ten pints and several shots in, the stag suggested that I grab one end of the roll of tape and that we should run at the group and wrap the tape around them. This would have worked out pretty nicely, had it not been for the amount of alcohol, combined with a downhill run at full speed and the lack of 'give' that is inherent in a roll of industrial strength gaffer! Result was stag getting ahead of me, jerking the roll, physics taking over and me faceplanting the pavement.

This was painful, but not half as painful as the realisation that the smashed glass and bleeding wrist was the result of my full bodyweight landing on my wrist and destroying my Seamaster. New sapphire crystal, new bezel, new secondhand and full service required. My wife, who had bought me the watch, was surprisingly forgiving and understanding and more concerned about my various cuts and bruises.

I am convinced that the watch actually took most of the force of the fall and saved my teeth and nose from an unpleasant fate, but I do have severely bruised ribs and these serve as a reminder to grow the f**k up and never listen to my mate's stupid suggestions ever again. We do have a history...last time it resulted in the destruction of a kitchen cupboard door


It reminds me of every single stag weekend I've been on.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
E92westy
Lieutenant
E92westy's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
549
Posts

 
Drives: F20 118d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staffs.

iTrader: (2)

Glad you got it sorted Matt.
My Seamaster 2254.50 needs a service and refurb, it's a good few years old though.
Kiss goodbye to <dont_want_to_think_about_it> plus parts minimum.

Love the watch though, so....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: Alpina D3 MT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington, North East

iTrader: (0)

^^

I know of a great guy that can fully refurb and service your watch if your interested, Omegas are his speciality.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
ed335d
Major General
ed335d's Avatar
United Kingdom
81
Rep
6,899
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Surrey, UK

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
It's a Quartz movement so that fucks my theory - as shaking it seemed to get it moving, I just made assumptions.

Anyway swapped on the day, so got a new one!

Matt
Glad you got it sorted Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
Glad you got it sorted Matt.
My Seamaster 2254.50 needs a service and refurb, it's a good few years old though.
Kiss goodbye to <dont_want_to_think_about_it> plus parts minimum.

Love the watch though, so....
I know someone who does a lovely job on refurbs. I'me sure he does servicing too.

He's taking a couple of months off, but this is what he managed to do with my Seamaster.

Before:





After:









This one's since gone to a new home

Drop me a PM if you want any more info
__________________
E92 M3, Jerez Black, Fox Red Novillo, 19'' M Double Spoke, folding mirrors, lumbar support, front seat heating, PDC, USB, DAB, EDC, Bluetooth, Logic 7, High Gloss Shadowline, big smile

Last edited by ed335d; 04-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: Alpina D3 MT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington, North East

iTrader: (0)

Could you PM me his details? Cheers
__________________
Currently driving an Alpina-D3 MT, Sapphire black, Classic Alloys wrapped in PS2's, Full Alpina interior trim, Black Grilles, Blackline tail lights and zymol'ed once a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
ed335d
Major General
ed335d's Avatar
United Kingdom
81
Rep
6,899
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Surrey, UK

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Will do, I'll dig them out tomorrow.
__________________
E92 M3, Jerez Black, Fox Red Novillo, 19'' M Double Spoke, folding mirrors, lumbar support, front seat heating, PDC, USB, DAB, EDC, Bluetooth, Logic 7, High Gloss Shadowline, big smile
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST