E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Are these any good? 0-60 5.1sec - Audi SQ5



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Are these any good? 0-60 5.1sec - Audi SQ5

Numbers are interesting and they look nice. Much space?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013...icle1_headline
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
djgandy
Major
13
Rep
1,114
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I guess when I have a wife and 3.1415 children I'll understand these cars. Or I'll pocket the cash on one of these to buy a 2nd hand AM and put the kids in a CMAX. I guess you can't play keeping up with the Jones's at the school gate in a CMAX though.

If you need space the Q7 is enormous. I don't really understand these little inbetweeny 4x4s
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

I know what you mean - I've had X5s and tend to think of X3s as too small.

However I also think the Q7 is just too big - e.g. to park in town - so I do start to think there is some logic to something a bit easier to use day to day.

These are for the wife & kids - but dad has to drive occasionally and a CMAX/Scenic is far from mandatory as a family car as well as something fun.

I wish they'd bring the M550d to the UK.
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

They are not too big. We have a Q5 on order at the moment to replace our A4 Avant family car. The Q5 is almost identical inside to the A4 (both in terms of space and dash layout etc). The boot in the Q5 is just over 10% bigger than the A4's at 540 litres.

I looked hard at the SQ5 version and was very tempted but in the end decided that, as the Mrs will be driving it mostly, I would reign in the expenditure and have gone for a more modest version.
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Gibbo
Colonel
Gibbo's Avatar
43
Rep
2,292
Posts

 
Drives: Golf Ed35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
They are not too big. We have a Q5 on order at the moment to replace our A4 Avant family car. The Q5 is almost identical inside to the A4 (both in terms of space and dash layout etc). The boot in the Q5 is just over 10% bigger than the A4's at 540 litres.

I looked hard at the SQ5 version and was very tempted but in the end decided that, as the Mrs will be driving it mostly, I would reign in the expenditure and have gone for a more modest version.
Which version have you ordered, did you go diesel in the end? I recommend the pamoramic roof really nice option to have on a 4x4.
__________________
Golf Ed35 Black with - Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Which version have you ordered, did you go diesel in the end? I recommend the pamoramic roof really nice option to have on a 4x4.
I actually didn't, Peter! I went with the 225bhp 2.0 TFSI Petrol version....I took the view that as I am doing it on a PCP with a GFV my depreciation downside is capped. The 3.0Tdi was more money than I wanted to spend (and comes in auto only and my Mrs really wanted a manual).

I didn't go for the panoramic roof but did consider it. I am trying to spend a little less on cars than I have in the past so didn't overdo the options. I have ordered the S Line Plus spec which comes very well appointed and only added a few additional options.

It won't arrive until end June...I'll post a few pics when it does.
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

What, June this year? That seems unusually quick for a VAG order
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
CHG
Lieutenant
CHG's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Around the UK

iTrader: (0)

Agree on the Q5... Just got mine, and it's a fabulous car...

And unbelievable much better to drive than the 3 Series...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Vaheed1
Captain
17
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
Agree on the Q5... Just got mine, and it's a fabulous car...

And unbelievable much better to drive than the 3 Series...
Better drive than the 3 series? don't be silly.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
Vaheed1
Captain
17
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

iTrader: (0)

I nearly ordered a Q5 for a September delivery (2.0TDI) coming in at less than 300PCM on PCP - but when I had a look at what it has to offer in terms of space, I decided not to. The new A6 Avant 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel would be a wiser choice, if you're wanting space.

I guess I nearly got wrapped up in the whole 'must have latest inn thing' scenario. I'm glad I didn't though - because there's 10 to a penny around here.

That's just my opinion, of course. They do look really nice and come with a decent amount of standard spec on the S-Line models. The family has just handed our 2011 Audi Q7 back - and that was a brilliant car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Interesting, might be worth a look, though I suspect the "handles better than a 3" is just a gag - the higher CofG makes that seem unlikely.

I suspect that given the choice of an SQ5 or an F31 xdrive 330d/340d, then I'd still go for the latter (or an F11 535d/M550xd RHD if they did one).

When our boy was younger, I did fear that the E91 would be too small, and looked at X5s and 5er F11s. After 3 years of being a family of three I'd say we can cope fine with the E91 - so rear size is not as important as I thought it used to be - in this respect the "in between" 4x4s are not a daft as I used to think (or as daft as the 4 seater X6)
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
What, June this year? That seems unusually quick for a VAG order
Ah, but I didn't say when I placed the order!!!
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
CHG
Lieutenant
CHG's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Around the UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Interesting, might be worth a look, though I suspect the "handles better than a 3" is just a gag - the higher CofG makes that seem unlikely.

I suspect that given the choice of an SQ5 or an F31 xdrive 330d/340d, then I'd still go for the latter (or an F11 535d/M550xd RHD if they did one).

When our boy was younger, I did fear that the E91 would be too small, and looked at X5s and 5er F11s. After 3 years of being a family of three I'd say we can cope fine with the E91 - so rear size is not as important as I thought it used to be - in this respect the "in between" 4x4s are not a daft as I used to think (or as daft as the 4 seater X6)

Handles? No

Drives? Yes...

There's no way a car of that size could ever handle like the 3, but the overall driving experience is much more refined... No crashing over potholes or tram lining (although I suspect a lot of that was the tyres).

Much quieter too...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
davyk31
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,481
Posts

 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

[quote=Vaheed1;13858616]I nearly ordered a Q5 for a September delivery (2.0TDI) coming in at less than 300PCM on PCP - but when I had a look at what it has to offer in terms of space, I decided not to. The new A6 Avant 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel would be a wiser choice, if you're wanting space.



You wouldn't get the A6 Bi Turbo for 300PCM would you???? Loads more I expect.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Vaheed1
Captain
17
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

iTrader: (0)

[quote=davyk31;13859440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I nearly ordered a Q5 for a September delivery (2.0TDI) coming in at less than 300PCM on PCP - but when I had a look at what it has to offer in terms of space, I decided not to. The new A6 Avant 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel would be a wiser choice, if you're wanting space.



You wouldn't get the A6 Bi Turbo for 300PCM would you???? Loads more I expect.
Nooooo! definitely not. They're going for silly money at the minute - give it 6 months and i reckon you'll be able to get them for 350-400 all in.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
davyk31
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,481
Posts

 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Reckon you are right about the A6, the other models suffer heavy initial depreciation so once the newness of the Bi Turbo wears off they will tumble. The A6 Avant looks great to me and with over 300bhp it would have to be a decent option.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
Handles? No

Drives? Yes...

There's no way a car of that size could ever handle like the 3, but the overall driving experience is much more refined... No crashing over potholes or tram lining (although I suspect a lot of that was the tyres).

Much quieter too...
Oh, I usually associate something that is good to drive with something that handles well, but I see you meant the overall experience, and I kind of get that.

It does say in the review that the V6 diesel is very smooth/quiet - infact much better than the equivalent BMW i6.

Hmm. Might actually try one of these.
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Gibbo
Colonel
Gibbo's Avatar
43
Rep
2,292
Posts

 
Drives: Golf Ed35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
I actually didn't, Peter! I went with the 225bhp 2.0 TFSI Petrol version....I took the view that as I am doing it on a PCP with a GFV my depreciation downside is capped. The 3.0Tdi was more money than I wanted to spend (and comes in auto only and my Mrs really wanted a manual).

I didn't go for the panoramic roof but did consider it. I am trying to spend a little less on cars than I have in the past so didn't overdo the options. I have ordered the S Line Plus spec which comes very well appointed and only added a few additional options.

It won't arrive until end June...I'll post a few pics when it does.
Sounds really nice and as you say if the PCP mitigates the 'petrol' risk why not. The VAG unit is really torquey but you know that from your other cars so it should have plenty of mid range even in a heavier 4x4. Common sense not to overspec and I would go Manual in one of these as well unlikely the majority of owners.

Please put some pics up when it arrives, what colour did you go for?
__________________
Golf Ed35 Black with - Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
CHG
Lieutenant
CHG's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Around the UK

iTrader: (0)



That's ours...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Sounds really nice and as you say if the PCP mitigates the 'petrol' risk why not. The VAG unit is really torquey but you know that from your other cars so it should have plenty of mid range even in a heavier 4x4. Common sense not to overspec and I would go Manual in one of these as well unlikely the majority of owners.

Please put some pics up when it arrives, what colour did you go for?
Will do.

As this will be the Mrs' daily car, she picked the colour and she fancied something different from the usual black, grey or white that have alternated on cars for the past number of years. We saw a Scuba blue Q5 at Edinburgh Audi and we both liked it so plumped for that.
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST