E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Those with aftermarket LSD, was it worth it?

04-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 335I Cpe

Those with aftermarket LSD, was it worth it?

Got the mod bug. Contemplating of installing a LSD (Quaife or Wavetrac) to my 6MT 335i.

I don't really track the car, but I do push it on the straightways and some corners on surface street.

Nonetheless, I want to ask if I'm really going to notice much of a difference at all in the way the car drives/handles and comes out of corners *only* on public streets. I live in an area (Irvine, CA) where the roads are smoothed, well-paved and high speed limits (50-55mph).

Two, I rarely touch that DSC/DTC button at all. Only once out of every 3 months where the DTC/DSC really comes on and tells me I've lost traction after going power WOT!

Since I don't track the car, am I *really* going to notice it that well?

From my research, I've concluded the following:

1. Helps even out power distribution between both wheels (in the corner). Equivalent to an open-diff in a straight away.

2. Handles better (?? a bit vague)

3. Scarier since it causes the backend to come out sooner
      04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

JB4 G5 ISO+BMS Flash+RB Turbos+Meth=
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: it has 4 wheels

If you like power out of a corner...Yes.

2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
raceyBMW
king of the hills
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
I would say probably no, you would never tell the difference. If you aren't having any issues with traction currently, and rarely turn off DSC, then there are probably other mods out that that will be more beneficial to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
I would say probably no, you would never tell the difference. If you aren't having any issues with traction currently, and rarely turn off DSC, then there are probably other mods out that that will be more beneficial to you.
Agreed, perhaps you should think about upgrading your suspension first assuming you are still on the stock Sport suspension. You will notice that right away, even if you don't drive super aggressive.

Also your car will look great lowered
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Agreed, perhaps you should think about upgrading your suspension first assuming you are still on the stock Sport suspension. You will notice that right away, even if you don't drive super aggressive.

Also your car will look great lowered
that's probably true.. maybe i should just upgrade the suspension.

i hardly touch that dsc/dtc, so i guess LSD won't impact me much.

I also heard the C63 AMG doesn't even have LSD. How is that possible, that monster puts down a lot of power.
      04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Isn't a LSD great for launching though? Or is it just good for power out of a corner?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
135Pats
Turbo's Here
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
Isn't a LSD great for launching though? Or is it just good for power out of a corner?
It helps with wheelhop on full bore launches from a dig, esp. once you clear RB type power levels. Though it's hardly a guarentee that it'll save your halfshafts, check out Sammys latest issue. OP it sounds like you're a highway cruiser who rolls into WOT and has some fun in the corners, IMO you'd be much better served with coils and/or M3 control arms over an LSD right now. Unless you're a track rat or really like launching your car, the benefits aren't as pronounced. I'm not downplaying the usefulness of a true limited slip diff, but for your purposes i'd argue there are better ways to spend the money.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Put on an LSD after the BMW performance suspension. I think it is worth it if you plan to keep the car for more years, and mod for more power.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
Good for both and well worth it. Makes power enjoyable... even at stock levels.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It helps with wheelhop on full bore launches from a dig, esp. once you clear RB type power levels. Though it's hardly a guarentee that it'll save your halfshafts, check out Sammys latest issue. OP it sounds like you're a highway cruiser who rolls into WOT and has some fun in the corners, IMO you'd be much better served with coils and/or M3 control arms over an LSD right now. Unless you're a track rat or really like launching your car, the benefits aren't as pronounced. I'm not downplaying the usefulness of a true limited slip diff, but for your purposes i'd argue there are better ways to spend the money.
thanks, I'll take this advice greatly. Some people have mentioned to swap out the suspension as well as upgrade to M3 suspension parts. I bet itll be cheaper than a full blown LSD swap.
      04-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Killerfish2012
Major
Rep

Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Two, I rarely touch that DSC/DTC button at all. Only once out of every 3 months where the DTC/DSC really comes on and tells me I've lost traction after going power WOT!

1. Helps even out power distribution between both wheels (in the corner). Equivalent to an open-diff in a straight away.

2. Handles better (?? a bit vague)

3. Scarier since it causes the backend to come out sooner
You need to do a lot more reading about diffs. Try ehow, and read the entire article starting with how an open diff works, to the different kinds of LSDs.

Depending on the type of LSD, lets use a locking LSD like Wavetrac, OS giken, or Drexler, for example, it helps in all driving situations, even when the car is in reverse. LSDs don't help "even out power distribution" between the two rear axles. They take a way power from the wheel thats slipping, and thus loosing total power, and give it to the one with traction, at up to 2.5 times more. Locking LSDs take this a step further and lock down both axles (Joins them), so that the slippage isn't even going to occur in the first place.

In a straight line, LSDs are not equivalent to, but superior to an open diff. Just floor both cars off the line. The car with the LSD will lay down two strips of rubber. The car with the open diff will lay down 1 strip of rubber. Most of your power in the open diff car is lost because of (through) that 1 wheel that can't stop spinning.

2. Handles better? Night and Day difference, since you can now accelerate through corners with so much more speed and control.

3. Yes, the back end of the vehicle will come out more, depending on what modifications you have done to the rear suspenson. however, its not like you think in the open diff, with snap, sudden oversteer. With an LSD the rear end comes out more slowly, and you have total control of it with your throttle. Its not scary, when this happens, rather, so MUCH fun, as you can control the way the car behaves in the corner, sort of make it dance a bit.

An LSD will make a noticeable difference on the street, but to fully see the difference, you should do a track day/autocross before and after install, to really see what you have been missing. Lastly, remember the different kinds of LSDs. Locking, non-locking, hydrolic, worm geared, clutch based, etc. Each works in different ways.
      04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
3002 tii
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: flat out

Garage List
Not worth it for what you're looking to do.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

The most important change to me from the LSD is the grip on normal roads in a straight line. Without a LSD you would easily get a one tire spin in 2nd or 3rd gear due to street tires / dirty tarmac, with the LSD the car just shoots forward as the grip almost doubles.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
raceyBMW
king of the hills
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
But if he's not turning off DSC, then it won't make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Killerfish2012
Major
Rep

Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
DSC doesn't even come on with my wavetrac. There is no wheel spin for it to quell.
      04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep

Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
I have a Quaife ATB diff, which is different from clutch plates like Giken OS. Biggest difference you will notice is how much faster you will be able to take those sweepers and ramps.

You will notice that DSC/nanny controls rarely come into play unless you hit gravel or make a super tight turn at mid-throttle to make the back end wiggle slightly before it regains its composure (tires grab the pavement).

I get lazy and leave the nanny controls on, but they hardly, if ever, light up. Bottom line: having a real diff saves 1) wear and tear on rear brakes, because the nanny controls aren't applying the brakes in an open diff setup; 2) increases vehicle safety, due to more predictable handling characteristics that allows greater control over the vehicle; 3) car feels more planted and you are transferring more power to the pavement.

Read my review in my signature below for my impressions on why it was the first and most important mod I made to my vehicle.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
SharkBait
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
The E9x platform has a pretty squirrelly back-end under normal driving conditions even without the run flats. An LSD will help to keep the 335's torque more evenly distributed. I'd bet you'd notice and appreciate the difference.

It's one of the biggest things I miss on the 335 and will be one of my first mods after the FMIC. All my other cars have or have had LSDs and I am surprised the 335 wasn't offered with one. I guess a factory LSD with a few simple bolt-ons would have made it too competitive with the M3. I guess that's also why they made it a PITA to swap in an M3 LSD! Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The LSD will not save your halfshafts, if you go with an LSD, make sure you install a diff bushing kit as the labor will be significantly less as the the diff will already be removed. The stiffer than OEM Diff bushings holds the geometry of your rear suspension which helps in preventing you from breaking drivetrain parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
The DTC doesn't give you grip; it slows down the car to match the available grip. Any applying of the brakes to a wheel in order to increase grip to the opposite wheel results is wasted movement energy which is transformed into heat by the brakes.

With a LSD, the available grip almost doubles with no wasted movement energy.

Last edited by cstavaru; 04-23-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335 E93

what are the benefits of lsd lock down?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
If you drive hard and find the lack of forward thrust due to one-wheel-drive bothers you a lot, it can be worth it. If you sunday drive or mostly punch it in a straight line, it'll have much less effect. It does change the character of the car significantly.
Appreciate 0