E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My VAC Motorsports Quaife LSD review - DCT 335is!

04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 335is DCT

My VAC Motorsports Quaife LSD review - DCT 335is!

Before I begin, I need to say that it took too long for me to post this up, but my excuse is that I've been travelling pretty much every week for work. The LSD was installed on the 16th of March, and I've had some good time to assess its added performance and benefit.

Some background on my car and plans for it:
As she sits now, her relevant mods are
- Michelin Pilot Supersport non-RFT's in 245/275 fitment (on stock 19's)
- JB4 G5 on map 5
- ETS 5" FMIC (also installed by VAC on the same day!)
- AFE Stage 2 intake with Pro Dry filters and scoops

I will be doing some major suspension enhancements over the months and year, including M3 or Powerflex subframe bushings (not yet decided), Ground Control street/school coilovers, and then I'll decide after all that if I want M3 front control arms and sway bars. I want the coils first to assess the new weak spots.

Install:
Gotta give solid PROPS to Mike Malloy and his master tech Klevis who were both champions for me in their own rights. Mike is eminently fair and honest, and is available to talk even though he's incredibly busy. He worked around my schedule to stay open on a Saturday for this job to get done, since I live in the DC metro and they are obviously up in Philly. 2 hour drive for me.

Klev truly is a master tech, but more impressively he is really open to questions, peeking and prodding while he works. Most techs would NOT be ok with that, but I wanted to learn and he was a great teacher. He's also a fountain of information and since I value the opinion of experienced folk, I was drinking from it! Klev finished off the day by also installing the ETS 5" FMIC that I ordered from VAC. Killer guy.

Results:
Ok well I should probably start with how my car behaved before the LSD. I remember one day in particular, which ironically was the first day I visited VAC to check out their site. I was leaving Philly with my fiancee and we were merging onto a fast moving fwy from a dead stop. Obviously I *had* to use throttle liberally, for like, safety n stuff. Well, the results pretty much sucked- the car bounced off traction control violently due to massive loss of grip and we were going in a perfectly straight line. First gear was unusable. Up until then, I had not gone more than 1/2 throttle in first gear on my new car.

Once the LSD was installed, this effect pretty much went away. I can still lose traction, but it's both wheels that put down the lines and I won't bounce off the traction control (if I remember to put on DSC). What's way more impressive though- and is the sole reason I got the LSD- is how she behaves in a turn. I used to feel like anything more than pansy-ass application of throttle in a turn resulted in inside wheel jacking and hopping, and it was anything other than a sporty feeling. Now, not only does the power get put down, but I actually feel the torque biasing working the more throttle I use. It feels almost as active as torque vectoring, which I know it is not. Still though, now the car feels as though the outside rear wheel is pushing it around the corner and I get a hint of rotation- not oversteer- that makes it a joy to carve any road with aplomb.

I can't wait to get the rest of my handling mods going, but it will take time to save up the money for it after this work. Oh, I should also add that mine with the first 335is DCT that Mike and co did. Mike was great in identifying the best possible solution for me financially and sourced my a fresh pumpkin from Germany in about a week. He was very cool about the core charge and just made the whole thing easy as pie.

Thanks Mike and Klev for your professionalism, and for some solid work quality. It's a far cry from the typical customer service one gets these days from pretty much any other outfit.

Everyone else that is on the fence about an LSD- GET ONE. It's a mod any car yearns for, high or low horsepower. It just transforms the handling.

Various pics of my car, cool things in the shop, and one very very stunning M3. Lots of track cars just sitting around like it's no big!

2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
chsbmw
Private
Rep

Drives: 2011 335is coupe

Great review, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Hope it helps someone on the fence in their decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
mrbillytalent
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '99 e46 323i & '07 e90 335i

VAC seems to be the bees knees. I'm sitting on three grand just waiting on a good reason for me to pull the trigger on one of these. This review didn't help keeping that money safe....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Do eeeet! Which diff are you leaning towards?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
I too am close to pulling the trigger. I spoke with Mike a few times and he is a great guy. Hope to have the Quaife LSD for my automatic installed in the next month or two.

Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Well well, this was one of the things on my things to do list
      05-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

With all the drag racing you do, are you leaning more towards a clutch type or even wavetrac?
Appreciate 0