E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why not keep stock sport pkg struts when lowering car?

04-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Shanghai_Texas
ultimate driving machine

Drives: 2009 bsm e92 335i

Why not keep stock sport pkg struts when lowering car?

I know it prematurely wears out the struts but how long does that process take? 20k? 50k? 100?

Last edited by Shanghai_Texas; 04-27-2013 at 02:03 AM.
      04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
SirHoward
Lieutenant

Drives: Da Car I Wanted

Well when I had my G35 coupe, I got up 115k (springs only) & all was still good. Now that I have a BMW I put springs only (H&R Sport Springs, E93) We'll see.
      04-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
The factory dampers lose most of their effectiveness by ~40k miles with the stock suspension.

The damper's purpose is to control the energy of the spring. By installing a stiffer, lower spring on an already under-powered factory damper, you'll:
A) degrade ride quality. The damper has less room to travel; it will blow through that reduced travel, rebound off the bumpstop and jostle you over all but small bumps because it is unable to build up enough force to control the energy in one movement. Harder & harsh.
B) wear out the damper faster. The damper has to work harder because the spring absorbs more energy than the damper is designed to handle.
C) be making a poor economic choice (explained below)

Regarding C), add up your costs for spring-only:
1. Cost of the springs
2. Installation & alignment
3. Cost of new dampers in about half the mileage your factory dampers would have left in them w/ stock suspension
4. Installation & alignment

When you could make this economic decision:
1. Cost of the springs and dampers appropriate for your spring choice (or a pre-assembled set of coilovers)
2. Installation & alignment

...and have the benefit of good handling & ride quality from the start (provided you buy good quality dampers like Koni Yellow).

P.S. I'm less than interested in rebuttal arguments like "I have lower springs on stock dampers in my BMW, and the car rides great". That's equivalent to saying you can't tell the difference between salisbury steak and filet mignon.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      04-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
BLKLYZ
Colonel

Drives: BSM 335i E92

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.50]
^^ What he said!